• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dreaming about optics (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
Lastnight I had a dream about a scope. I looked in my cupboard and found two scopes I couldn´t remember buying (I have in reality found stuff there I´d forgotten I´d bought...kind of a Narnia cupboard). One was a big Optolyth, which is nice because I´ve never seen one. The other was a short, black, chunky job, with a very big objective and some kind of mechanical doohickey built in, a handle on the right that you squeezed. I searched all over the body and found "Fuji" written on the underside. I viewed my backyard, squeezed the handle and it began recording. Then I looked through the ocular and pressed "play". Instead of the scene I´d just viewed, it played a really beautiful street-scene from what looked like a Greek fishing village from about the 1920´s, all cobbled streets, whitewashed houses, gentlemen in black suits with wide-brimmed black hats, ladies in scarves and flowing skirts, kids playing with spinning-tops and rolling hoops (and two kids playing with hurleys whacking the balls off a wall, which even in the dream I found a bit incongruous). The dream was also in full Mediterranean Technicolor, which belies the claim of psycho-babblers that you only dream in monochrome. Even the oranges on the trees were orange.

Sancho,

These dreams represent your aspirations. First off, you want more optics but are limited by She Who Must Be Obeyed. Your next aspiration is to have optics which record and playback your experiences, which may not be a bad idea. I believe that Zeiss may have made a digital camera and back for its 'scopes, but you have taken it a step further.
The Greek scene may be longing for your own days in the sunny Med, dissatisfaction with the Irish weather, or a desire for a time machine.
I think that you may be in need of a vacation.
Like Lucy, of Peanuts fame, my shingle is out. We can talk about this for many sessions.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

I have dreams of birdwatching occassionally. The binoculars I'm using in the dream are generic and not important. There's no importance on the bins, but the birds I'm looking at are always fantastic and never real birds found in nature. They are usually large and colorful and, while I'm excited to observe the bird(s), there is always a feeling of danger. Many of the birds in my dreams are birds that can possibly attack me. They never do, but the threat is always there.

In the last weird dream I was on a little wooden platform in the middle of a jungle river. There were very large colorful water birds in the river going by me and all around me. Then I spotted a Hippo coming right toward the platform. I felt terrified that he was coming to eat me. I was panicking and almost dove off the platform, but the Hippo only wanted to sleep and rest on the platform and had no care whether I was there or not. He hopped up on the platform , closed his eyes and slept and I felt relieved; totally weird, vivid dream that stuck with me. This was months ago and I still remember it.

Arthur - oddly, we´ve had quite a Meditteranean summer here this year! I´d quite like a time machine though.
David - not much in the water but some folks complain about the fluoride that´s added.
Annabeth - that is truly weird. I´ll lend you my Fuji Time-Machine Recording Scope and let´s see what happens with the Hippo.

My standard birding dream, hallucinogens in the water aside, is an extension of being beat up as a teenage nerd: I'm either at a sea-watch or in deep forest, armed only with my preternatural eyes and ears and a pair of Nikon 8x30E IIs while those around me, armed with pricey roofs to compensate for their weak abilities, fail to see distant alcids/a goshawk/stunningly high warblers. I rack up huge numbers and people stand in awe. Standard geek-defeats-the-commoners stuff, with optics playing this weird class warfare role (which of course we never see here on BF!).

I have yet to dream of Highlanders, however. Perhaps when both my kids are teenagers. ;)

David

. I have only once dreamt about binoculars and that was a few weeks ago.
And I thought this is not good.

It included two 8 x 44 binoculars, but in the dream they were massive as large as an 80 mm Astro binocular.
There were also 2 smaller binoculars.
The dream was in colour and then I woke up.

This was a normal dream, but occasionally I have lucid dreams.
These are amazing as you know you are dreaming but you can manipulate the dream in any way you want.
This can be a quite wonderful experience and can last quite a long time.
When you are having these you really don't want to wake up.

Unfortunately, I haven't had one for a few years.
The last one involved the actress Kirsten Dunst.

It is a pity I don't have these more often.

I once had one of those annoying repetitive dreams about trying endless different ways to waterproof a drawscope.

My standard birding dream, hallucinogens in the water aside, is an extension of being beat up as a teenage nerd: I'm either at a sea-watch or in deep forest, armed only with my preternatural eyes and ears and a pair of Nikon 8x30E IIs while those around me, armed with pricey roofs to compensate for their weak abilities, fail to see distant alcids/a goshawk/stunningly high warblers. I rack up huge numbers and people stand in awe. Standard geek-defeats-the-commoners stuff, with optics playing this weird class warfare role (which of course we never see here on BF!).

I have yet to dream of Highlanders, however. Perhaps when both my kids are teenagers. ;)

David

sounds uplifting ! I like it. Could be made into a major motion picture (?) :)

Sancho! Annabeth! Wonderful dreams! o:D

Sancho, could you have another look inside your "Narnia" closet, and perhaps visualise a courier turning up on my door with a gratis set of brand new Swaro bins ...... anything will do - despite my incessant posting here, I'm not fussy! |:d|
TIA!! :t:

Chosun :gh:

I had another binocular dream lastnight. I had acquired a secondhand pair of old 7x50 binos, in traditional tan-leather, red velvet-lined case, because they were the same make as my first pair of bins I got in real life at age 12. For decades I haven't been able to remember what brand those original bins were. Amazingly, the brand name of the dream-bins was written on them and it really was the brand of my first bins...'Copitar'! Which is odd...my dream-consciousness remembered something my waking-consciousness has 'forgotten'!
Anyway when I looked through the dream-bins, I was rather disappointed. They gave a fish-eye lens effect, the right barrel had a big murky blob in the centre, and worst of all, the objective ends shifted outwards horizontally so to 'collimate' them and get a single image I had to keep readjusting the barrels by moving them in and out.
I am fully cognisant of the fact that nobody needed to know about that stupid dream. But did any of you ever own a pair of Copitar 7x50, and were they awful?

No Sancho, I haven't owned Copitar bins (or heard of them until today) but this is an interesting discussion. I started birding in 1979, and until 1990 when I got my first decent pair (Habicht 10x40) I did dream about bins, which in waking life were a preoccupation as I got through one model after another which turned out to be unsatisfactory. Always the same dream: I'd be in a junk shop with a pile of old bins in a box, and one would be superb, the best ever made and the price would be a couple of quid. So I'd search for my wallet, which wouldn't be there. Then I'd wake up...

So no more dreams about optics after about 1990. But anxiety dreams started about guitars instead: in a charity shop there would be something like a vintage, well-cared for Martin 0018 for next to nothing.

It may be a psychological compensation mechanism for being neither brilliant with bird ID or as a musician. Or it just goes with a rather anxious personality type.

Think I feel a bit better having got all that off my chest, though glad we can be anonymous here! These days I don't get anxiety dreams at all, fortunately. But it's good to know I'm not alone in having had such dreams.

So I'd search for my wallet, which wouldn't be there. Then I'd wake up...These days I don't get anxiety dreams at all, fortunately. But it's good to know I'm not alone in having had such dreams.

If you ever have the 'great bins, no wallet' dream again, just grab 'em and run...the Dream Police will never catch you! But seriously...no anxiety dreams? Not even about Maths exams? You have truly reached Nirvana;)

My dreams are usually about cataclysmic events like tornadoes, nuclear wars, Armageddon, fun things like that. :-O Ever had the one where you're back in class at high school, you're at your desk completely nude and no one ever notices. :eek!: The subconscious mind is a funny thing.:-O

Ever had the one where you're back in class at high school, you're at your desk completely nude and no one ever notices.O

Yes, on an alarmingly recurring basis!:-O
Also the one about having one leg shorter than the other.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back