• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

choice of 2 inexpensive 10x40s (1 Viewer)

slingworks

I am interested in acquiring a reasonably priced 10x40 with good glass quality.

I have found 2 interesting traditional models, the KOMZ 10x40 CF and the Optolyth Alpin 10x40 Ceralin Plus.

Both are for sale online, so I cannot test them.

I have had a couple KOMZ binoculars, they seem to have excellent glass, and somewhat ok build quality.

Haven't owned any Optolyth, but these Alpins appear to have had good reviews.

Both are fairly inexpensive, and made in "Europe."

Anyone have an opinion or a review based on experience with these models? I would guess that I am trying to find out if the Optolth Alpins are sharper/brighter than the KOMZ.

The Alpin are usually vignetted internally, so the true aperture is smaller, but they are well made and well regarded. Light weight.

The 10x40 Russian is the poorest of the 8x30, 12x45 line.
It was made as an extra and should be 37mm or 35mm, 40mm is oversize for this design. Mine has a ring of light around the view. Some have reticles. Europe?

Both are likely to have haze or maybe alignment issues. It is luck if you get a good one.
I would go for the Alpin.

P.S.
The Alpin is more likely to have haze as the Russian ones are better sealed.
It would be worth getting the Alpin cleaned if cheap enough.
As to resolution. Equal.
Brightness. Well the Alpin is sub 40mm probably and the Russian maybe poorer transmission.
I don't think either brightness or resolution really to be considered.
The 10x40 Nikon Action VII is about 11x, and small eye relief maybe less or equal to Russian.

P.P.S.
Also consider a new 10x42 Nikon Aculon. A safer bet.

Last edited:
Hi,

hard to say - I would expect the KOMZ to be ridiculously sharp on axis as with most soviet glass and to be quite yellow. But I don't know that model. Depending on the age (first two digits of the serial # as year of production is a safe bet) they might be single or multicoated. Made in Russia (and then often named Baigish) often has quality control issues.

There's two versions of the Alpin, an older one with ribbed rubber armour and a later one with flat plastic coating. From a quick browse the older version seems preferable. Ceralin Plus means multicoating afaik.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=75027

Joachim

I am interested in acquiring a reasonably priced 10x40 with good glass quality.

I have found 2 interesting traditional models, the KOMZ 10x40 CF and the Optolyth Alpin 10x40 Ceralin Plus.

Both are for sale online, so I cannot test them.

I have had a couple KOMZ binoculars, they seem to have excellent glass, and somewhat ok build quality.

Haven't owned any Optolyth, but these Alpins appear to have had good reviews.

Both are fairly inexpensive, and made in "Europe."

Anyone have an opinion or a review based on experience with these models? I would guess that I am trying to find out if the Optolth Alpins are sharper/brighter than the KOMZ.

Even some of the cheapest Asian binoculars use "good glass." As for "reasonably priced," to get help with that one, you will need to specify what that means to you. To some of us, reasonably priced means below about $600USD; to others, it may mean "around a hundred bucks."

Either way, good shopping.

Bill

PS "Made in Europe" doesn't mean what it once did, especially since some "European" binoculars are made in China or Japan.

Last edited:
Slingwork, post 1,
I think I would go for the Optolyth Alpin, it is a light weight and very compact porro prism binocular and does not have the most advanced coatings but it will be a fine binocular if the price is OK. We recently investigated an 8x40 Optolyth Osiris, which had the cheaper coatings, but its color reproduction was excellent despite an overall lower light transmission. I expect the Alpin to have a slightly warm image impression.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks for the opinions and replies.

I have a couple pairs of high end binoculars, although for some reason I find interest in the inexpensive traditional 10x40 right now.

The Komz 10x40 (Ordered in new from Russia) is about $120 delivered. The LNIB Alpin Optolyth is $230 delivered.

I guess I consider these inexpensive. At least my opinion.

I may go for the Alpin..I do have a Komz 7x30 and I use it quite often. I dont think the 10x40 is close from what I hear though...

Last edited:
Hi slingworks.
There is the Russian 8x30, 10x40 fill in binocular, not so good, 12x45 and 15x50.
I suppose you have the 8x30.

There is the 10x42 and 7x30 quite different, with distortion free 7 element eyepieces.

A new Alpin sounds good.

P.S.
Some of the so called Russian binoculars advertised on the internet, such as 20x50, look like cheap Chinese junk to me. Not Russian at all as far as I can tell from the photos.

Last edited:
Hi,

if you want a good soviet pair, the ZOMZ 7x50 variants BPC2 and BNU are warmly recommended. I had two (given away as gifts) and both were great. On the lookout for another pair - these can be had for 30-50 Euros on german ebay - best bet would be a pair from the 80s (serial number starts with 8x) - still soviet but multicoated.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back