• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mystery bird - please help (1 Viewer)

viking

Hello birders
Im new here and first of all sorry for my poor english!

I have made an observation the last nights about a mystery bird singing in the middle of the night outside my house here in Oslo.
Its been difficult for me to observe it because its very dark in the middle of the night! I have made a sound recording of it.
Im not a bird expert but I have a few birdsound Cds of Scandinavian birds but Im sure its not there!
So for me this is a big mystery, I think we have a rarity here!
I cant sleep at nights anylonger because of this. The bird starts to sing the same song countinously for 2 hours the last 4 nights!
I have attached a zip-file for you to listen to.
I will try to make a daylight observation of it this weekend if its still there...
Any suggestions ?

Attachments

• mysterybird.zip
    525.3 KB · Views: 290
Michael,

WAV files canot be posted here the only acceptable file extensions being gif jpg png txt zip bmp and jpeg.

I can open the file with no problem (but have not been able to id the bird), so I assume you lack a compression utility program to open up the zipped file. The one I use is free and can be downloaded from the following URL.

www.ultimatezip.com

PS welcome to the forum Viking I'm sure someone will sone ID that bird.

This is making me alittle crazy. That sounds familiar.....but I'm on the wrong continent. Can't come up with a name....yet.

dennis

its only singing in the night, early morning or late in the evening and its to dark for me to take the picture so last night I made another recording which is much better!
I am stuck with this one so I appreciate any help.
this is a zip-file so you need to unzip it first....

I think this bird dont belong here and its on its way to the east? We have alot of migration birds staying for days or weeks before it moves on.

Attachments

• mysterybird1.zip
    218.4 KB · Views: 253
Managed to open it now . . strangely (because I'm familiar with most North European bird songs), I haven't a clue what it is.

It could of course be an escaped cagebird, like Okitsme's thread with his White-throated Laughing-thrushes.

Michael

This is still an unsolved mystery
I think this is very difficult, I have sent the file to a local ornithologist but no good ideas from him, if anyone can give me an address to an expert in european birdsounds I would appreciate it...
The bird is still in the area I tried to locate it last night but its hiding very well in the treetops....

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back