• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Eagle second largest raptor in UK. (1 Viewer)

jayhunter

I couldn't sleep last night so I went on the PC, I had a message from BBC Nature which I read at 04.20 this morning the Topic was entitled Golden eagle the second largest raptor in the British Isles. I then went to bed after reading the article which didn't mention what was in fact the largest raptor in the British Isles. Not having any reference books with me I would have to guess at the White Tailed Eagle, as I had always been led to believe The Golden Eagle was the largest.B :)

Yep, White-tailed Eagle is larger, though not so strong (its extra size is mainly due to a larger, and more efficient, digestion system, which needs larger wings etc to carry it around).

Michael

Yep, the White-tailed Sea Eagle is the largest, but it's often been overlooked in the past because of it's iffy breeding status and general numbers over here...so it's only recently that it's had more publicity.
It's a big bird!

Michael, I had heard that White-tailed Eagles were dominant over Golden Eagles where their ranges overlap, e.g. Norway, Finland Scotland.

E

Hi Edward,

In an individual battle over food, a Golden will normally win over a White-tailed.

But because White-tails have a better digestion system, they're able to utilise their food more efficiently, and so live at a higher population density on less food than Goldens can.

There was a paper in British Birds a few years ago that explained it all, I'll see if I can dig out the reference.

Michael

Found it:
British Birds 91: 171-179 (1998)

Last edited:
Not sure about the measurements (at work - no guide!!) but White-tailed look HUGE in comparison to Goldens - i suspect its the broad slab-winged appearance in flight and the large head/large bill when perched.
They`re a real "impact" bird when you are fortunate enough to see them

Just to complicate matters, in terms of average weights, smallest to largest:

Male Golden 2840-4550g
Male White-tailed 3075-5430g
Female Golden 3840-6665g
Female White-tailed 4080-6920g

But note that there's also a lot of overlap between all of them - a heavy male Golden can weigh more than a light female White-tail.

(figures from BWP Concise)

Michael

Hi Steve,

Not my own - just what I read!

Guess the real secret of success is not so much knowing everything, as remembering where to look for it

Michael

PS nice to see the crow back ;)

Thanks very much for a interesting comparison between the two eagle species, very enlightening indeed. You can certainly learn a lot on this excellent forum. I also wonder how Michael stores so much knowledge of the highest order.

Regarding the White-tailed Eagle and "it's iffy breeding status ", I seem to recall that the last pair of Eagles breeding in England in in 19th century were W-t's on the Isle of Wight.

Also the eagle species after which Snowdon is named (yn Gymraeg) is believed to be W-t.

Perhaps the W-t's have been persecuted for longer because of the perceived clash with human financial interest, ie coasts, fisheries etc.

Maybe Goldies win individual battles because of their greater manoueverability (longer tail), or higher speed?

I'm off to bed now, look in on Sunday night.

Andy.

satrow said:
Maybe Goldies win individual battles because of their greater manoueverability (longer tail), or higher speed? Andy.

Hi Andy,

Here's some quotes from that British Birds paper (some snips for brevity)

Michael

-----------------------------

"Golden Eagles are strongly dominant over White-tailed: in Norway, I once observed at first-winter male displace seven White-tailed Eagles in less than ten seconds, and on no occasion was a White-tailed Eagle able successfully to defend a carcase from an attacking Golden Eagle; in those few cases where a White-tailed displaced a Golden Eagle, the latter had invariably been feeding for some time beforehand."

"Golden Eagles are also stronger fliers, and have longer legs and a wider talon span, and they consequently prevail in aerial conflicts."

"The above data may initially suggest that Golden Eagles would competitively exclude White-tailed Eagles in the long term. The evidence from Scotland however indicates that it is White-tailed that ousts Golden from home ranges, despite its being inferior in direct competition. ..... The reason appears to be indirect competition. In western Scotland, White-tailed Eagles enjoy a wider and more varied food base than Golden Eagles; this provides alternative sources when the main sources are limited. In addition, carcases are not permanently defensible resources; dominance may determine which species eats first, but the White-tailed Eagle will eventually get its fill. Competition for carrion is therefore indirect (the removal of a later meal for the Golden Eagle), not direct."

"Raptors adapted more towards a scavenging role and passive sit-and-wait hunting, as is the White-tailed Eagle, typically have a longer, more efficient gut (at the expense of speed and manoeuvrability) than more active hunters such as the Golden Eagle. This results in relatively more efficient nutritional use of shared food resources such as carrion: in other words, White-tailed can survive for longer on less food."

Well I have really enjoyed reading all the different points brought up, and wish that I travelled North of the Border to be able to see these wonderful birds. I do want to go to Haweswater to see the Cumbrian Goldies, but is there a specific date where the wardens do not want further visitors. I usually give the Lakes a wide berth during the typical holiday months of Mat to September, I now usually go up in October and November.

Hi Bob,

February-March is a good time to see them, they'll be displaying then. Choose a day with crystal-clear visibility (a day when you can see colour in distant hills, not just blue-grey in the haze) and a fresh breeze. There's details of access posted on another thread, put 'riggindale' in the search that'll find it.

Michael

Hi Micheal,
Thanks for that information, I have now downloaded the ordnance survey map and reference from Helen's riggindale eagles thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back