• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Great Butterfly Adventure: Africa to Britain with the Painted Lady (1 Viewer)

Monahawk

Looking forward to this on BBC4 Monday.9pm.10th Oct. A species of butterfly that has fascinated me for a while now. Had 2 in the garden this autumn after an absence here for 6 years.

Si.

just watched the program on I player, I was impressed with the painted lady butterfly's before it and I am now more impressed ,great program, when I noticed it was on for an hour and a half I thought that might be too long but the whole program just flew in :t:

Great programme. I knew these butterflies were migratory, but I didn't know that one of the factors determining their migration was because of the actions of a parasitic wasp. I was amazed too that they just keep pushing northwards if conditions permit and there had been sightings of 'pioneer' painted ladies in Britain and Ireland as early as January.

Si.

One of the last days we were in Cape Verde a week or so ago I was walking by the SE tip of the island of Sal and there were hundreds of Painted Ladies where a week before only a couple. It seems they head south west as well as north and east.

I thought it was quite brave of the BBC to show a 90 minutes long programme about butterflies but it was totally engrossing and the time flew by. It was full of interesting information and facts but, apart from anything else, Painted Ladies are so stunningly beautiful to look at. An excellent programme.

Ron

What a shame they couldn't put the programme on a couple of weeks earlier, then people would have had a much better chance of encountering one. Once you know the story behind anything that turns up in your back garden, then it takes on a whole new importance in your connection with it.

It was better then I thought it would be I thought it be a programme with someone narrating but found it more interesting with presenters talking to Butterfly experts. its a Butterfly I've yet to see most butterflies I see are Cabbage Butterflies.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back