• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Eagle sp near Bryncrug, nr Tywyn (4 Viewers)

Rob Smallwood

I have had a reliable report of an eagle sp, probably Golden just east of Bryncrug, near Twywn today. I think the bird has been photographed and will post any shots here when I can get access to one.

I suppose it could be the escape reported earlier on the Isle of White, but a wild bird can't be ruled out at this stage.

I believe the photos have been verified and hope to be able to post one tomorrow.

The bird appears to be un-tagged, which might rule out an Irish wanderer. Does anyone know if the recent Isle of White bird was tagged/had jesses etc?

Hi Rob, i'm able to go for a look today if it's confirmed. I'm out birding in a min so i wonder if you could text me when you've got the pics if that's OK. I'll buy you i pint next time i'm in Timperley!
Cheers.

Golden Eagle origin

Anyone know anything about the Isle of White bird, or any other possible captive origin?

Not sure the escaped bird has been seen in a while. I believe it was an adult bird so rules out your bird anyway.

Weirdly an adult passed through Suffolk last March.

Immatures are more likely to wander so perhaps it is a genuine Scotzbird or unringed Irish one.

Anyway will go with jogresh to check out the area.

Sean

Hey Rob

Mike and I got as far as Bird Rock today before we broke down! Stuck in the valley for 5 hours we grilled every raptor and saw 10+ Buzzard, 3+ Red Kite, 3 Peregrine, 2 Kestrel, 1 Merlin, 1 Goshawk, 1 Sparrowhawk but no sign of the Eagle.

The other highlights before we broke down were 6+ Hawfinch and a Wheatear.

I believe it would be the first record of Golden Eagle in modern times in Wales.

Sean

I was confused... Thought the Isle of Wight bird was no so recent but a bird that was on the loose 2 years ago in S England.

Only seen one Imperial Eagle...so not sure if Isle of Wight bird is Imperial ...but looks good for immature Golden to me.

Sean

the Bryncrug eagle

I was prompted to join this discussion by my brother-inlaw Rob Smallwood, Rob's sister Ann and I found the bird last Saturday afternoon, it was only in view for about 1 minute hence the rather poor pictures. I suspect camera shake was a bit of a problem too. It drifted off south over the ridge toward the next valley but dwarfed the Ravens and Buzzards mobbing it. I've watched the area for about 10 years and never seen anything quite like it.

An amazing find Mike, just sorry we couldn't share in your good fortune.

Jogresh is originally from Timperley and gave fond memories on visits there and Alty.

Anyway once again a great find.

Sean

I thought I had one on the Wirral last month. It was ID'd correctly, and only c500m away, and I was about to start running around like a headless chicken until ( and there is almost always an "until" ) I saw it's jesses, and then the silly bu**er flying it. Gave me one hell of a shock though. People should be made to let you know when they do stuff like that!!! Cracking find, Mike
Chris

Hey Rob

Mike and I got as far as Bird Rock today before we broke down! Stuck in the valley for 5 hours we grilled every raptor and saw 10+ Buzzard, 3+ Red Kite, 3 Peregrine, 2 Kestrel, 1 Merlin, 1 Goshawk, 1 Sparrowhawk but no sign of the Eagle.

The other highlights before we broke down were 6+ Hawfinch and a Wheatear.

I believe it would be the first record of Golden Eagle in modern times in Wales.

Sean

Sorry you missed the eagle, where were the Hawfinch ?

There were two records that I know of recently.One of a Goldie in the Garw valley,South Wales in 2008 and another in a remote valley in Mid Wales last year.

I guess the April 2009 bird at Stithians, Cornwall has no relevence to these records?

Hoping these guys are not going to muddy the waters -Eagle falconry - too much in the near future. :eek!:

Regardless, fantastic record :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back