• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallard Flycatchers (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
The highlight of a day at Minsmere yesterday was provided by the most unlikely of birds, the Mallard. There was a female and six small ducklings on one of the side dykes. There were lots of insects flying about and the ducklings were catching them. They were almost running across the surface of the water and jumping into the air to snap at them. They were in a feeding frenzy and it was brilliant to watch. I have seen adult Mallards catching insects in the air before but never ducklings. I suppose other people see this behaviour all the time?

Ron

Not seen them doing it myself but if you're talking about odd feeding behaviour of Mallards then this is by far the strangest I've come across. And yes it did swallow it after much effort!

Attachments

• Mallardeatingfrog_flickr002.jpg
    Mallardeatingfrog_flickr002.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 41
The highlight of a day at Minsmere yesterday was provided by the most unlikely of birds, the Mallard. There was a female and six small ducklings on one of the side dykes. There were lots of insects flying about and the ducklings were catching them. They were almost running across the surface of the water and jumping into the air to snap at them. They were in a feeding frenzy and it was brilliant to watch. I have seen adult Mallards catching insects in the air before but never ducklings. I suppose other people see this behaviour all the time?

Ron

Its fairly common behavious amongst the recently hatched ducklings. Today i've seen at least four broods "flycatching" at different sites.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back