• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anglesey Tern Question (photo) (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
Does anyone know of Sandwich Terns seen on the Inland Sea (near Treaddur Bay) ??
I know they can be seen at Cemlyn and have visited there several times but on a recent walk around the Inland Sea we saw maybe 50-100 on the rocks only 75 yards off shore (see photo)

I posted this question of the Wales/Anglesey section....then on the information section but with no response (in case anyone is thinking...."why is the silly ^>@*** asking again:-O)
Thanks

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0209.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0209.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 60
I doubt that they are breeding on those rocks, but I don't think their presence is unusual.

Thanks Rob.
As I said, over recent years I have done that walk several times in spring & summer but never noticed them before.
We are back there next week and will see if there are any signs of nesting.

However, if it's not a daft question....why would they come all the way over
to the UK then hang around the Inland Sea instead of going a few miles more and finding the nesting site at Cemlyn??

I'm guessing now, but they could be non-breeding birds or it could be a pre-breeding group that will disperse to a breeding site. Or they could be breeding there - I'm not much help really! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back