• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mockingbird chicks (1 Viewer)

mblack

For the past several years, a pair of mockingbirds has nested outside of my backdoor, then front door and now have a nest completed in front of my front window - I let the bushes grow house high there. I have tried to protect them, picking up stray chicks out of the nest and returning them, etc, and I'm guessing they now trust me enough to put the nest in plain view of me (so I'm not alarming the chicks by snooping so closely!). But I don't see the father anymore, just the mom, and she is clearly settling into the nest to lay eggs soon, if not already.
I have seen how they both spend so much time to watch the nest and feed the chicks - without a father to help with these duties, how can I help mom out with close-by feeding 'stations'?

What can I put out for mom to feed the chicks? Should I put it on the window sill, or tie it into a nearby branch of the bushes? Should I put out some water in a similar fashion? I can crank out a window to put this out, then crank the window back closed, without creating noise to startle the chicks or mom.
I'm in Texas, if that makes any difference.
Your answers and help are greatly appreciated.

Hello, mockingbirds like,mealworms, homemade peanutbutter suet, grapes, and apple slices. To make the suet mix a cup and a half peanutbutter, cup of lard, with 4 cups of cornmeal,and a cup of whole wheat flour. mix with your hands,till it is in the form of a clay. Freeze it and put out in a suet feeder. Water nearby will be helpful. Mockingbirds also like grape,jam,or jelly. Mix a tablespoon full jam,or grape jellywith a tablespoon of water. You can make a easy feeder for the grape mix, use a small plastic dish, poke, or drill holes large enough for a plant hanger to go through, and hang near the bush the nest is in. Hope this helps you care for your mockingbirds !

Hi Mblack,

Just a short note to say Welcome to Bird Forum on behalf of Admin and the Moderators :t:

I can't help with your query as we don't have them over here, but I think it's an excellent idea to put out extra food in the Spring to help the brooding birds at what must be a very difficult time. I do the same for our birds in order to ease the strain on parents having to expend so much effort in hunting for food.

I hope that you like the site an decide to become a regular visitor.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back