• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

*NEW* Compact Bushnell Elite (1 Viewer)

lucznik

Inspector Gadget
It would seem that Bushnell has decided to upgrade their Custom Compact binocular to a new, waterproof/fogproof model and are renaming it under their Elite line. They are still keeping the 7x26 configuration. In fact, pretty much all the other specs seem to have remained basically the same. Eagle Optics shows a price of $250.

Here's a link to Bushnell's page:

http://www.bushnell.com/general/binoculars_elite_62-0726.cfm

Very intriguing.

The specs at the link indicate that they are not waterproof and fog proof. I have a pair of Custom Compacts that are 32 years old. Great little glasses. I heard that parts are no longer available and that Bushnell is offering a good discount to those that need repairs.

I have the custom compacts in the 6x25 configuration.
Questions:
1-How waterproof are they?
2-Is Bushnell considering the 6x25 configuration in this new elite line?

The original Custom Compacts are not waterproof at all. These "new" Elite Custom Compacts are supposed to be waterproof/fogproof. At least that is what is listed on the Eagle Optics website (link below.)

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=5209

stbear,
It was on the above link to Eagle that I saw this info originally. I should have just posted that link but, I wrongly thought the Bushnell site would have contained more info. I should have read it more carefully first. My bad. Actually, it appears Bushnell has basically just copied and pasted the information on the link from their Custom Compact page. Quite a lot of the information is contradictory between these two websites.

Other discrepancies of note:

Eagle Optics (EO) shows a FoV of only 314 ft. (Almost certainly a typo?) Bushnell lists the FoV as 363 ft.
EO shows eye relief as 15.5mm. Bushnell lists 16mm.
EO claims close focus of 8 ft. Bushnell says 7.
EO states twist-up eyecups. Bushnell says both fold-down and twist-up eyecups on the same page (fold down in the specs beneath the picture and in the narrative text, twist-up in the "features" bullet points to the right.)

Big discrepancy between the EO specs and the Bushnell site specs. EO FOV 314/1000, Bushnell FOV 363/1000. (Doh, already mentioned.)

My B&L Custom Compacts have a FOV of 341/1000, if I remember right.

My Custom Compacts are the newer generation model that looks a lot like the ones on EO, minus some rubber covering. There was an older 7x26 Custom Compact that was the same optically but much different body. More metal and much sturdier looking. I always liked those older ones.

Last edited:
By the way, is the New Elite compact made in CHINA?
Isn´t it quite thick, like 6 or 7 centimeters, how wide are the eyecups, like 3,5 centimeters? Better image quality than a Nikon action extreme?
Fanks!
Carsten

7x26 Bushnell Elite Opinion

Would you mind my asking, what your opinion is of these bins, Rick? How do they compare with any others that you have?

I have been a fan of this binocular for a long time. Perhaps back to when they originally started (mid to lates '80's, I believe). And, I was always frustrated by the lack of weather & dust resistance, especially in the early metal designs.

Now, I would say they are nearing the best balance of what they were and could be. By that I mean the crisp, contrasty and accurate color images, and, now more weather-resistant and with a rain shedding coating on exterior glass. Clearly , the body is far less likely to admit water or dust. But, it isn't O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged.

Plus, the cordura (or something similar) case with a flap that appears to act as a rain deflector. It would seem they will now do quite well in damp, and possibly dusty, conditions where earlier versions might have fogged.

I've had Leica's (2000 vintage 10x25 pockets and recent UltraVid 10x42's), Swarovski's, Pentax SP's and more, and ended up dumping the high-end stuff to settle on these and the 8x32 Pentax SP 2004 vintage.

Why? Even though I am middle aged (49) and wear glasses, I do have good vision after correction. My eyes are used for aircraft inspection and are very sensitive to color, contrast and "resolution", still. No, I am not trying to sound like the "last wiord" in vision, but I do "see" well. As a result, I appreciate a good image.

The new version of the 7x26's still do it! And more weather resistant!

Sorry to be long winded, but hope this helps, Rick

I called Bushnell today about the Elite custom's,i want to confirm the upgrade in weatherproofing..Sadly the person that helped me today,said that the binoculars are pretty much the same that early versions.I took a pair(of the last Custom model,Pre-elite) for shorebird watching early this season,to compliment my scope and keep the weight down,and in two days of sand blowing and mist in the air,they were pretty much trashed..they recovered from a fogged body in about twenty minutes,but many specs of sand made their way into the inner surfaces in just few hours,as mentioned..pretty much an open body configuration!!!!!!!!!!...too much!...i was disappointed because i love the custom optics and IT IS A WINNER design...WHY CAN THEY WATERPROOF IT,?...At least to the degree of the Swift audubon or the CHEAP leupold yosemite!..Oh to keep price down,they answered...Well ,the price is not that low,(for a porro tiny glass anyway)andi f i had to pay some more and have an ALMOST perfect(yes almost perfect..great averything..handling,views,size, configuration ,brightness and price)binocular i would..And many others would too...they have never quite gave the Custom 7x26 the chance it deserves ,this people of Bushnell...If Nikon had this design ,it would be a cult ,like the E,E II and SE .............but Bushnell chose to make the custom,not a winner,BUT A LOOSER!

Yes...but why do you ask? I haven't measured the latest Elite's specs, but I've tried them and they seemed accurate.

--AP

Thanks Alexis...I was just confused because earlier posts mentioned lesser values for both FOV and ER. I haven´t seen a real pair of Bushnell Elites, they´re not a brand that´s carried by stores here.

QUOTE::"...WHY CAN THEY WATERPROOF IT,?...At least to the degree of the Swift audubon or the CHEAP leupold yosemite!..Oh to keep price down,they answered...Well ,the price is not that low,(for a porro tiny glass anyway)andi f i had to pay some more and have an ALMOST perfect(yes almost perfect..great averything..handling,views,size, configuration ,brightness and price)"

..I was trying to ask "Why CAN NOT they waterproof it...."..sorry for the typo..
Cant believe that their cheaper Bushnell H2O 10x26 is "O"ring sealed and nitrogen purged!!!,and their CUSTOM ELITE is NO-TROGEN filled...;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back