• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

replacement for B & L Custom Compact model 61-7261 (1 Viewer)

Can anyone steer me to a good replacement for my all-time favorite compact binoculars--the Bausch & Lomb custom compact 7 x 26 mm model 61-7261? I had them squirreled away in my old pick-up when I traded it in and lost them. I liked the fact that they were small, light, relatively durable, and worked well in low light conditions. Alternatively, if anyone has one they want to sell, pleae let me know. Thanks!

P.S. Does anyone know how the current Bushnell Elite e2 7 x 26 mm model 62-0726 compares to the Bausch & Lomb custom compact 7 x 26 mm model 61-7261?

As far as I have been able to determine, the 7x26 Custom Elite is nothing more than the old B&L (and Bushnell) 7x26 Custom in a slightly modified body with some attempt at better water resistance. There may have been some tweaks in the manufacturing process, but I suspect there is no optical difference. However, the coatings may be better as technology has no doubt advanced since the days of the B&L label. I have a B&L Custom 7x26 and it is the best small compact glass I have found.

Thanks, Steve. I haven't had a chance to handle a pair, but the new version looks a bit more cumbersome than the old. However, unless anyone else has a better suggestion, that sounds like my solution. Thanks again.

the new version looks a bit more cumbersome

I have both the old B&L 7x26 Custom Compact (61-7261) and the newer B&L version (61-0726). The latter is, as far as I know, essentially the same as the current Bushnell version.

The new style is a little more bulky, but I find the two models quite similar in the hand, and in overall operation and optical quality. My newer model has different multicoating from the old, and it seems to control veiling glare very slightly better. Personally, I like the old version better. It has an anachronistic design that is oddly skeletal, and it is of precise and elegant mostly metal and glass construction. In comparison, the newer unit is more bulky, plasticy, and less precise (esp. diopter setting/operation). The old style was popular for butterflying (under 6 foot close focus) but the newer units I've seen are not as well suited to that use (7-11 foot close focus depending on individual unit). The direction of focus of the models are different (new one focuses clockwise for more distant objects).

--AP

Can anyone steer me to a good replacement for my all-time favorite compact binoculars--the Bausch & Lomb custom compact 7 x 26 mm model 61-7261? I had them squirreled away in my old pick-up when I traded it in and lost them. I liked the fact that they were small, light, relatively durable, and worked well in low light conditions. Alternatively, if anyone has one they want to sell, pleae let me know. Thanks!

Here's a link to a comprehensive comparision of the old and new 7x26.
Optically the same but ergonomics a bit better.

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Bushnell-7x26-Custom.php

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back