• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has anyone used Manfrotto 190CX3 or Manfrotto 804RC2? (1 Viewer)

I have the 804RC2 head. I already had a 3030RC2 head (which the 804RC2 replaces in the product line), abd bought the 804 because it is lighter and looked a little more streamlined. I put the old 3030 on a short column so I could switch quickly from a short to regular column and not have to switch heads.

However, the bad news is that I do not like the 804. I like its handles much more than the 3030's big fat handles, and it is lighter than the 3030. However, what I really dislike about the 804 is that it is very difficult to tilt it up and down smoothly. It is very difficult to get it to move a very small amount when you are trying to precisely aim it at a particular spot. It kind of jerks instead of smoothly moving, no matter how lose or tight you have the tilt handle control adjusted.

This is only an issue for precise photography when it really matters exactly where you are focusing. Anyway, it bothered me enough that I switched the 804 to the short column for occasional use, and moved the old 3030 back to the standard column for primary use.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back