• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advices for Loch of Strathbeg (1 Viewer)

Pancho85

Hi everyone,

tomorrow I want to go to Loch of Strathbeg, and I would like to know wich are the most interesting hides, wich pathways to follow, if it's better to go there with high or low tide, if there are other interesting palces around, etc.

Anything you can tell me will be helpful for me, as I have no idea where I am going xD.

Thanks a lot!

Hi Pancho

Have a look at the Opus article, there's various links to look at too. It'll give you a head start for when the others come in with some more information for you.

Hi Pacho

I would go to the visitor centre at Starnafin first, as you should be able to find out what is around from the sigtings book and perhaps from reserve staff. The visitor centre overlooks some pools which often hold a variety of birds.

Depending on what birds are aroud, I would usually visit Tower Pool Hide next, which is about a 10 minute walk from the visitor centre. This overlooks a large area of low-lying wet land.

If time permits, you can visit the Fen and Bay hides by car via the disused airfield (there is a summer path from the visitor centre but I don't know if it is open yet and it is quite a long walk). From here you look over a reed-fringed area of open water.

The south end of the loch can be viewed from a minor road to Rattray head, although the road is a bit distant from the water.

More information including recent sightings here:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/l/lochofstrathbeg/sightings.aspx

If you are travelling there from Aberdeen, it might be worth stopping at the Ythan Estuary as the annually returning King Eider seems to have returned again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back