• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attention! Nikon introduces two new fieldscopes and a new zoom.. (1 Viewer)

7 new eye pieces (incl. the zoom)..

Old eye pieces can be used with the new Fieldscope EDG (if you use an adapter)..

Eye relief: 18,4-16,5 mm..

Ready for delivery from July 2009 ..

My Swedish is a little rusty but I'll take your word for it. ;)

Assuming this is not more internet rumour-mongering then it should be very interesting to see what they're capable of. The glass in the ED82 was some of the best around. Pity about weight, eyepiece and focus ring so will they stick with helical focussing?

My Swedish is a little rusty but I'll take your word for it. ;)

Assuming this is not more internet rumour-mongering then it should be very interesting to see what they're capable of. The glass in the ED82 was some of the best around. Pity about weight, eyepiece and focus ring so will they stick with helical focussing?

|=)| The swedish text doesn´t say very much about the new Fieldscope (just the things I listed above in this thread). So I can´t answer your question about weight, eyepiece and focus ring. But my guess is that they will stick with helical focussing!

There will be one "big" change to the new Fieldscope EDG though: a standard bayonet mount that locks they eyepiece in place for additional security.

Press photos of the scopes may soon be here: http://press.nikon.se/index2.htm (click on "Kikare" when you get to the site).

/Jonas

Last edited:
So will the new zoom eyepiece be compatible with my ED50? Love the scope but a wide-angle eyepiece with longer eye-relief would be a godsend.

Graham

So will the new zoom eyepiece be compatible with my ED50? Love the scope but a wide-angle eyepiece with longer eye-relief would be a godsend.

Graham

We can hope for now. It would be foolish if Nikon didn't get on the bandwagon with a wide zoom like the new Swaro, Kowa, and the new unobtanium Leica.
I'm anxious to see just how proud Nikon is of their new scope. If they think they're as special as the EDG bins, they'll be dear!

Graham

Hahaha time to save for the new zoom eyepiece if it fits onto my ED82 :king:

It would appear that the new ep´s won´t do for our ED50´s and ED82´s, as the new EDG scope ep´s are bayonet-mount, according to Kingfisher. Anyway, on Nikon´s record with the as-yet-unavailable-in-Europe-EDG-binoculars, the new scopes probably won´t be available until 2011.;)

Last edited:
Figures... just as I bought an ED82 they'd upgrade. My ED82 arrived today, incidentally.

Actually, given that you cannot share EPs with the ED50, I am quite happy with the purchase decision.

Vandit

Figures... just as I bought an ED82 they'd upgrade. My ED82 arrived today, incidentally.

Actually, given that you cannot share EPs with the ED50, I am quite happy with the purchase decision.

Vandit
Well, I´m just assuming you can´t share ep´s ´cos of the bayonet-mount issue. I can´t read Swedish and haven´t seen the new scope. But hy, Vandit, the ED82 is a superb scope, we don´t need anything better. And I bet the new EDG scope (if and when it ever gets produced) will cost nearly double. Congratulations...how do you like your ED82?

Jonas, et al..
Those specs look bogus. If they are true they are out of the running right out of the gate. Note the length and weight figures. Long and portly.

Yes, I have read that. The weight is quite high, I must say. Only 60x magnification with the zoom and a design that most closely resembles a large flashlight. But I can not really decide for myself if I think it´s ugly or a beauty. Hmm..it must be something extraordinary in terms of optical quality to attract me, I think.

Last edited:
Yes, I have read that. The weight is quite high, I must say. Only 60x magnification with the zoom and a design that most closely resembles a large flashlight. Hmm..it must be something extraordinary in terms of optical quality to attract me, I think.
Mind you, the current ED82 (which I own and love), isn´t exactly pretty, it looks like something from the boiler-room of a 1970´s school-building. Compared to a Swaro-scope, anyway.

Went back and looked at the zoom's specs. Nothing special going on there.
I'm a little confused in that I don't see any obvious advantages over the existing ED Fieldscopes. To the contrary, in some ways they look like a step backward.

Last edited:
Despite choosing the Zeiss over the Nikon I did like the extra punch delivered by the zoom going up to 75x, which is sadly absent here.

How long till manufacturers make a 90mm, short, flourite crystal scope with a 15-80 wide-angle zoom range??? Come on Zeiss!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back