• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Fieldscope Water Proof? (1 Viewer)

Grousemore said:
Nothing odd at all; Tav was making the valid point that a scope such as the one described was useless in wet weather, on the basis that the advice from Nikon was not to use the focussing ring!
From Nikon:

pix-leeg.gif
"Waterproof (up to 2m/6.6 ft. for 5 minutes) and fog-free with O-ring seals and nitrogen gas"
Earlier in the thread this has already been made clear. Somewhere, sometime, somehow common sense will prevail. The EDIII scope is no different from all other waterproof top scopes.

Last edited:
scampo said:
From Nikon:

pix-leeg.gif
"Waterproof (up to 2m/6.6 ft. for 5 minutes) and fog-free with O-ring seals and nitrogen gas"
Earlier in the thread this has already been made clear. Somewhere, sometime, somehow common sense will prevail. The EDIII scope is no different from all other waterproof top scopes.

Believe what you want, no skin off my nose as I don't own one...I was merely reacting to others' posts, but as you seem to be the expert...

Grousemore said:
Believe what you want, no skin off my nose as I don't own one...I was merely reacting to others' posts, but as you seem to be the expert...
I wasn't responding to your post, merely getting a bit fed up with obvious erroneous comments that were becoming, in my view, silly. No need for sarcasm, really, is there?

Last edited:
scampo said:
I wasn't responding to your post, merely getting a bit fed up with obvious erroneous comments that were becoming, in my view, silly. No need for sarcasm, really, is there?

If you're not responding to my post, then please don't quote it.

Last edited:
Oh please...

I was merely trying to clarify my previous response to you, that's all. If you read back through this thread you'll see that was the case.

Lot of fuss! Have you never tried to assemble something following the manufacturer's directions? I have, many times, and, more often than not, the directions have been inaccurate, usually referring to parts that don't exist or are different from those that actually came in the box. I purchased a second-hand Kodak professional digital camera (that once sold for $25,000!!!!) and have the original manual. It is amazing how inaccurate the manual is. All this fooforaw about a manual that is probably just inaccurate.

Art Thorn said:
Lot of fuss! Have you never tried to assemble something following the manufacturer's directions? I have, many times, and, more often than not, the directions have been inaccurate, usually referring to parts that don't exist or are different from those that actually came in the box. I purchased a second-hand Kodak professional digital camera (that once sold for $25,000!!!!) and have the original manual. It is amazing how inaccurate the manual is. All this fooforaw about a manual that is probably just inaccurate.
Nice word, fooforaw, Art - must be Canadian? It certainly captures perfectly what drove me to post my reply.

Leif said:
The Nikon 8x42 HG is waterproof and yet in the manual it indicates that you should not get water on it. Perhaps at Nikon the head doesn't know what the tail is doing?

The 8x32 has taken a soaking and been problem free.

mine too Pete

but after a three months in hot humid places the rubber seems to be lifting already and the rubber on the eye cups is perishing a bit. This suprised me as my other bins (dialyts) are in pretty good nick after 14 years including much harder use and almost 2 consecutive years in tropics.......

scampo said:
Nice word, fooforaw, Art - must be Canadian? It certainly captures perfectly what drove me to post my reply.
Well I've never actually seen the word written, but have heard it used in similar circumstances. Might have sprung from a fertile imagination, but works for me! ;)

Tim Allwood said:
mine too Pete

but after a three months in hot humid places the rubber seems to be lifting already and the rubber on the eye cups is perishing a bit. This suprised me as my other bins (dialyts) are in pretty good nick after 14 years including much harder use and almost 2 consecutive years in tropics.......
Worrying really as a similar comment was posted about Swaro ELs not so long ago. I do wonder how seriously the coverings are tested by manufacturers before they decide to use them.

I have a Nikon EDIII which I specifically purchased for birding trips abroad as it is compact and light and waterproof. However on a recent trip to Tibet it got wet whilst wading through a stream and the inside fogged up thus preventing me from using it to digiscope a party of Tibetan Sandgrouse.

Although the misting cleared after a few days I have now lost all confidence in it and will certainly be getting rid of it As for buying another Nikon product. I very much doubt it.

Graham Talbot said:
I have a Nikon EDIII which I specifically purchased for birding trips abroad as it is compact and light and waterproof. However on a recent trip to Tibet it got wet whilst wading through a stream and the inside fogged up thus preventing me from using it to digiscope a party of Tibetan Sandgrouse.

Although the misting cleared after a few days I have now lost all confidence in it and will certainly be getting rid of it As for buying another Nikon product. I very much doubt it.
That is bad news - did you contact Nikon?

Just out of interest, don't leap from a frying pan in to a fire as a similar message has been posted concerning Swarovski kit, I seem to recall, when used in humid conditions.

Graham Talbot said:

Bad luck there, Graham.

It seems there have been several instances of these Nikon scopes being found wanting in damp conditions...the most current being "De-Misting Tips" linked here

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=23790

This is a scope often recommended on BF, but a little more objectivity amongst the pro-Nikon bias may be needed.

Grousemore said:
Bad luck there, Graham.

It seems there have been several instances of these Nikon scopes being found wanting in damp conditions...the most current being "De-Misting Tips" linked here

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=23790

This is a scope often recommended on BF, but a little more objectivity amongst the pro-Nikon bias may be needed.

Just out of curiosity, Trevor, what scope and bins do you own? :brains:

I had a Nikon EDII Fieldscope 60mm from 1993 to 1999, it soon gained the nickname 'The Sponge' because of its ability to soak up water. Optically it was initially great, but repeated soakings soon degraded this. Everyone else I know with this model had the same problems, the design was rubbish.

After its demise in a freak seawatching accident in 1999, my insurers replaced it with a shiney new EDIII, which I still own and cherish. I've never taken much care of it, and I don't do stay on the scope cases, but it has never let me down, despite some good soakings and being dropped periodically. Its a little cracker!.

Art Thorn said:
Just out of curiosity, Trevor, what scope and bins do you own? :brains:

If you're genuinely interested, I'll PM you the details...but this Thread is supposed to be about the waterproofness or otherwise of Nikon scopes.

Graham Talbot said:

never mind Graham, I hope to be there next summer and I'll take a pic of some for you - as long as my nikon doesn't fog up too......!

anyone know if it's a problem with the (o ring?) seals? or something else that plagues these scopes

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back