• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long distance digiscoping (1 Viewer)

chrisemm

Dear all,

As I’m looking for a camera for long distances, would you prefer the Sony DSC-RX100 II due to its 3.6x optical zoom or will the newer models Sony RX100 III/IV (although available with ‘only’ 24-70mm lenses) give better results??

Are there even better long distance cameras then the Sony RX100 models available?

Should also the higher crop factor of cameras like the Nikon P330 or Canon S110 be taken into consideration?

Many thanks for all your help!
Christoph

Dear all,

As I’m looking for a camera for long distances, would you prefer the Sony DSC-RX100 II due to its 3.6x optical zoom or will the newer models Sony RX100 III/IV (although available with ‘only’ 24-70mm lenses) give better results??

Are there even better long distance cameras then the Sony RX100 models available?

Should also the higher crop factor of cameras like the Nikon P330 or Canon S110 be taken into consideration?

Many thanks for all your help!
Christoph

I presume you want to attach it too a scope, so either the Sony rx100 Series and the Nikon P300 Series are both very good. The main difference is the speed of the Sonys ( handling RAW ) and the video is better.
Neil.

The rx 1002 would give the best results. It's doesn't vignette were as the mk3 and mk4 need a bit more work to get the best from them.

I’m using the Swarovski ATX 30-70x95 in combination with either the Digidapter or the Swarovski DCB II adapter.
Many thanks!

I use the digidapter and the DCB II, but find the digidapter better for long distance work. Reason is, that it is a more stable, aluminium construction then the DCB II, making it much less prone to vibration, which is especially important with long focal length's and long distance photography.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back