• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon G7X Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Pie Face

Seemingly having the same spec as the Sony RX100 I'm a little confused as to why the Canon G7X doesn't appear among the dying breed of digiscoping compacts. Is this camera totally unsuitable for digiscoping?

Seemingly having the same spec as the Sony RX100 I'm a little confused as to why the Canon G7X doesn't appear among the dying breed of digiscoping compacts. Is this camera totally unsuitable for digiscoping?

I guess people stopped using Canon's for digiscoping a long time ago as their lenses created too much vignetting. I liked the quality of their lenses and so were able to make some of them work , up to the G10.
Maybe you should give the G7X a go.
Neil.

I realize this is an old thread, but I am wondering the same thing, while looking for a compact camera that won't have digiscoping as its main goal, but might be used for it every now and then.
Does anyone has experience with a G7X mk ii or iii for digiscoping?
Regarding the vignetting of Canon's lenses, is that a generality or does it specifically apply to the G7X range?
I gues we are talking about the inherent vignetting of the Canon lens itself, not of the vignetting of the digiscoping setup caused (black ring) which, I would assume, should be very simar between the rx100 and G7X at the same focal length and much more important.
On paper the G7X mk ii(i) actually sounds better to me than the RX100 v(a) due to the good zoom range and large (real) aperture, the touchscreen, the microphone input...
It is just not clear to me if I would miss the viewfinder or the phase detection focus of the rx100 for digiscoping if choosing the gx7 mk ii(i). Are those important features
for digiscoping?

I realize this is an old thread, but I am wondering the same thing, while looking for a compact camera that won't have digiscoping as its main goal, but might be used for it every now and then.
Does anyone has experience with a G7X mk ii or iii for digiscoping?
Regarding the vignetting of Canon's lenses, is that a generality or does it specifically apply to the G7X range?
I gues we are talking about the inherent vignetting of the Canon lens itself, not of the vignetting of the digiscoping setup caused (black ring) which, I would assume, should be very simar between the rx100 and G7X at the same focal length and much more important.
On paper the G7X mk ii(i) actually sounds better to me than the RX100 v(a) due to the good zoom range and large (real) aperture, the touchscreen, the microphone input...
It is just not clear to me if I would miss the viewfinder or the phase detection focus of the rx100 for digiscoping if choosing the gx7 mk ii(i). Are those important features
for digiscoping?
Take your scope into a camera store and hold the camera to the eyepiece and see how the lens behaves.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back