• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon travel scope (1 Viewer)

Hi,
Saw one on the Nikon stand at the bird fair and the rep connected a Nikon D70 SLR to it and the results were outstanding so any one looking for a long lens,it would be worth checking further, by the way it was the straight one.
Stan.

I wish Nikon would provide more information about the design details of this scope. Calling it a Fieldscope suggests that it is a 50mm version of the larger ED Fieldscopes, but pictures of it suggest that it's design has as much or more in common with Nikon's inexpensive scopes. For instance you can see from the photos that the angled version does not use the monoblock Abbe prism found in the larger Fieldscopes. From it's shape it appears that the angled version uses either a Schmidt-Pechan roof prism or more likely adds an extra prism with 2 reflections (one mirror coated) behind the porro prism of the straight version. That's a cheaper way to make an angled scope, but it results in considerably lower light transmission compared to the Abbe prism of the larger Fieldscopes. The extra prism is also the only way to make an angled version if focusing is done by moving part of the porro prism cluster, which is usually the method used in inexpensive scopes. The larger Fieldscopes use a more expensive moving focusing element rather than a moving prism. From the photos it's not possible to tell for sure how the ED-50 is focused, but it looks like it probably uses a moving prism. The large Fieldscopes use triplet objectives with fairly high focal ratios by spotting scope standards, f/7 for the 60mm and f/6.4 for the 82mm. Nikon doesn't tell us whether the ED-50 uses a triplet or a less expensive doublet but the focal ratio of the objective is f/5.6. That's pretty low for a high quality telescope, especially if it uses a doublet objective.

None of these design differences would make the 50mm a bad telescope, but they would make it a significantly different design and almost certainly not as good as the other ED fieldscopes, particularly the angled version. Perhaps that's the reason Nikon refers to it as an "entry level" or backup scope and prices it so much lower than the 60mm ED. Still the combination of tiny size and weight, ED glass and compatability with the excellent Fieldscope eyepieces do make it look like a very interesting scope for it's intended purposes.

Last edited:
A high quality [pink :gh: ] 50mm spotting scope is interesting. I have never looked through one of those, so i can't comment. Here is one thought: is saving 200-300 gramms of weight worth (optically) switching from 60-65 mm to 50 mm? After all, one still needs a good tripod to make use of a 20x scope, and few birders that have $$ to buy that pinkie actually cross mountain ranges on foot with a tripod and scope in their backpack.

Otto McDiesel said:
A high quality [pink :gh: ] 50mm spotting scope is interesting. I have never looked through one of those, so i can't comment. Here is one thought: is saving 200-300 gramms of weight worth (optically) switching from 60-65 mm to 50 mm? After all, one still needs a good tripod to make use of a 20x scope, and few birders that have $$ to buy that pinkie actually cross mountain ranges on foot with a tripod and scope in their backpack.

I looked through one again on Saturday. Using a monopod x20 and x30 eyepieces worked well for me, though I was in a showroom so was not exposed to the wind. A higher magnification certainly needed a tripod to get the best out of the scope/eyepiece combination. Note that that the standard MC eyepieces have a reduced magnification on the ED50.

It is a remarkably good little scope though. I have a Nikon Fieldscope EDIIIA, and the ED50A compares well with it. The ED glass clearly makes a difference. Brightness and contrast is very good. I haven't looked through one in dark or difficult light situations though.

It is very light and compact. It gives the impression that the build quality is not that of the EDIII, though this may just be due to the weight and general feel. I also noted that it does not have a retractable sunshade like the EDIII, and there's no stay-on case.

As I have a spare eyepiece for my EDIII I think I'll buy an ED50A and get good monopod. I think this would make a great lightweight combination for hiking or travels abroad where birding may be fitted in around other activities.

I

Otto McDiesel said:

Hi Otto

the weight saving is approx 600g which may not sound alot but I think I'd notice it after a days walking! Also it could be used with a lighter tripod (or shoulder pod) so you may end up saving over a kilo which could be handy on overseas trips when you might feel that a normal scope is too big to take.

The thing really is small and optically rather good. I hope someone like Kimmo gives it a thorough test.

When i bought a Manfrotto tripod and a Swaro HD scope from B&H, i also got for free a TrekPod, (trekpod.com). This is a telescoping walking stick, 3 sections, and the lower section splits into 3 legs, while the upper section has screws and treads for optics - with a ball joint. It is not the 3/8 tread, but i am sure i that can find an adapter. Anyway, i don't use a walking stick, and i use this monopod as a shoting stick (we have way too many white tailed deer here). Now you folks have me thinking about a dandy lil' agled high quality scope... At 15 or 20x it might just bring those Lincoln's sparrows closer, what do you think?

Otto McDiesel said:
When i bought a Manfrotto tripod and a Swaro HD scope from B&H, i also got for free a TrekPod, (trekpod.com). This is a telescoping walking stick, 3 sections, and the lower section splits into 3 legs, while the upper section has screws and treads for optics - with a ball joint. It is not the 3/8 tread, but i am sure i that can find an adapter. Anyway, i don't use a walking stick, and i use this monopod as a shoting stick (we have way too many white tailed deer here). Now you folks have me thinking about a dandy lil' agled high quality scope... At 15 or 20x it might just bring those Lincoln's sparrows closer, what do you think?

Wow, what a neat invension! Sounds like the ideal setup for this scope. I hope I can get a trekpod in the UK.

nikon 50mm ED

This little beauty ( a grey one!) will soon go alongside my Swarovski 65HD and old Optolyth draw tube, and will probably be used more than the other two for general birding when I can't be bothered to cart around or set up a tripod. The straight version is easily used one handed (no barrel focusing) whilst performance with a fixed MC wide angle lens is a delight.

Definitely a winner although made in China? Well done Nikon for finding a gap in the market and zapping it with the right piece of kit. :clap:

I acquired a Nikon ED50 this week and got a chance to test it out properly today on a visit to Girdle Ness. I have a straight model and was using it with the 30x lens from my ED82, which I think works as about 16x on the ED50.

Optically it's quite excellent and up to the standard of other Nikon ED scopes - very sharp across the field, remarkably bright and contrasting and with good natural looking colours. I didn't perhaps get quite the 'walk in' impression I get with the same lens on the ED82 but otherwise the image is just as good.

The lower magnification has its advantages and the scope works very well with a shoulder pod, with only minimal shake. It's even possible to use it hand held, although obviously that's not ideal. It was very good for seawatching when tripod mounted, where the wide field and lack of shake give it an advantage over the ED82. I may well use the ED50 preferentially for seawatching in future.

Finally, I had a go at digiscoping, using a CP4500. The conditions weren't great with only intermittent winter sunshine and a bit of a breeze (despite being sheltered). The results were fairly impressive though (see below). It's never going to be the model of choice for digiscoping but it's nice to know it can still take presentable shots.

Attachments

• StonechatED50271105a.jpg
    StonechatED50271105a.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 263
  • StonechatED50271105c.jpg
    StonechatED50271105c.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 266
  • StonechatED50271105d.jpg
    StonechatED50271105d.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 340
Some more pictures:

Attachments

• RedshankED50271105b.jpg
    RedshankED50271105b.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 150
  • RedshankED50271105c.jpg
    RedshankED50271105c.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 164
  • RedshankED50271105f.jpg
    RedshankED50271105f.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 350
  • RedshankED50271105g.jpg
    RedshankED50271105g.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 196
  • RedshankED50271105h.jpg
    RedshankED50271105h.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 165
Interesting scope, ability to use without a tripod is a big advantage if travelling light.

Did you use an adaptor to digiscope your pics, Andrew?

Yes I used the standard Nikon adapter rings to attach the camera to the scope. I can pretty much fit the scope and shoulder pod into my coat pocket if needs be, so it's definitely very easy to carry around.

Ok, i have a very soft spot for sparows and prairies. I guess that one of those 50mm pinkies with a 16x WA eyepiece (the 30x wide angle?) and mounted on a Trekpod will do me well. Let's see them in US, please...

Nikon 50 ed

medinabrit said:
Can anyone tell me when i will be able to purchase a nikon ed 50 spotter in the US please.
\ brian.

I contacted Nikon USA last week regarding the availability of the 50 ed in the USA. They told me that they would make announcements in February, 2006 regarding new products in the USA. They would not comment on the 50 ed.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back