• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 (1 Viewer)

Many thanks for all the replies, RSPB Leighton Moss have a Cullman tripod in stock - I'll go and take a look at the weekend.

Regards

Mark

I have just purchased a straight Nikon ED50 fieldscope with a 16x MC eyepiece from Kay Optical of Morden , South London. They matched the large mail order firms in price and allowed me as much hassle free testing time as I wanted. I was looking for a lightweight travelscope and compared two scopes, a Kowa TSN 603 with a low powered eyepiece and the ED50. The Kowa cost over £200 more and did not include a case. Testing the scopes on a dull day there was very little difference between their low power images, the Kowa image being slightly better. However what made the decision for me was the diminutive size and weight of the Nikon scope and its lack of visible chromatic aberration. I have also purchased a cheap carbon fibre monopod for under £30 which works well with the 16x magnification to produce an outfit that can easily fit into my luggage when I travel abroad by plane. The image with the monopod is similar to that produced when using binoculars, there is always a slight shuddering of the view, which can be reduced by trying different bracing techniques. The ED50 gives an really amazing view when fixed to a really solid tripod, I just can't believe such a small scope can perform so well! Nikon have bridged the gap between binoculars and spotting scopes with the ED50, producing portability with performance!

Bought one today for our NE India trip next week

absolutely amazing piece of kit. you can even hand hold them at 24 x wide angle and with a shoulder pod it's just the thing i've been after for years. I expect it to become the main scope very quickly.

So small and so light, yet the image is extremely good. The close focus is remarkable and means it can be even used on birds like wren babblers. I wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't seen it. At last, a quality scope that can be used in a forest setting and is stable enough to use properly hand held or with a shoulder pod. And seeing as i have a larg Nikon scope and eyepiece, it only set me back £239 for the body. And i don't think it needs a case either.

well done Nikon.

Tim

Tim Allwood said:

absolutely amazing piece of kit. you can even hand hold them at 24 x wide angle and with a shoulder pod it's just the thing i've been after for years. I expect it to become the main scope very quickly.

So small and so light, yet the image is extremely good. The close focus is remarkable and means it can be even used on birds like wren babblers. I wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't seen it. At last, a quality scope that can be used in a forest setting and is stable enough to use properly hand held or with a shoulder pod. And seeing as i have a larg Nikon scope and eyepiece, it only set me back £239 for the body. And i don't think it needs a case either.

well done Nikon.

Tim
Take care not to over-tighten the screw thread, Tim - there's another thread here that suggests it can be a weak spot on some scopes although mine seems strong and solid. Have a great trip!

Tim Allwood said:

I think I may well have seen you buying it! We had a customer today who bought one, body only, to go with their 78ED... was that you?

postcardcv said:
I think I may well have seen you buying it! We had a customer today who bought one, body only, to go with their 78ED... was that you?

yes it was me.

i thought Postcard CV was Pat! That's why I asked if Pat was in. Bugger it. Never mind. Nice to meet you at last :t: Same sort of feeling when you cock up a bird ID!

Must say it's nice to have such a good shop and friendly service very close to home. I never made the Glauc though - just too miserable at Salthouse.

I'll see you when i pop back up for a case i expect...

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
yes it was me.

i thought Postcard CV was Pat! That's why I asked if Pat was in. Bugger it. Never mind. Nice to meet you at last :t: Same sort of feeling when you cock up a bird ID!

Nice to meet you too... there is a Pat that works there too, hence the confusion! Enjoy your trip to India, I hope the new scope helps you see some great birds.

Tim Allwood said:
y I never made the Glauc though - just too miserable at Salthouse.

tell me about it!! The Deboo and I decided a pint of broadside by the fire at the Dun Cow was the better bet!

Tim Allwood said:

Tim
Congratulations on your new scope, mine has become a permanent attachment, might as well sew it onto my wrist. I was out at a local site today with the Cullmann shoulder-pod and a monopod, trying to experiment with various ways of reducing shake. I find the biggest problem, when there´s not much wind, is my own pulse rather than my breathing. Kneeling and bracing either shoulder or monopod against my knee helps, or removing the rubber stopper from the end of the monopod and sticking it into the ground, or else making use of available fence-posts, walls, etc. I can`t seem to find a decent lightweight tripod to suit the ED50, at least not in the stores in Dublin. They´re either flimsy rubbish, or don´t extend high enough. (Anyone got any good tripod advice re. ED50?) I agree with you that it´s been a wish-list item for years, Nikon are onto a winner with this one. Congrats again and best of luck on your trip.

pduxon said:
tell me about it!! The Deboo and I decided a pint of broadside by the fire at the Dun Cow was the better bet!

Not made of very strong stuff then Pete ;) I managed to stand on the shore and saw it sailing beautifully in the wind in the afternoon!!!!!! Obviously not a Norfolk lad ;) !!!!!!

Sancho, I have a Feisol CT-3402 four-section for use with my ED50. Like you I also experimented with a monopod, but found it unsatisfactory, and much prefer the stability of a tripod. When I bought the ED50, I got a Slick Video sprint as part of the deal for about £20, but have never been happy with it (too flimsy at full height, and only really useable unextended IMO).

Seems to me if you want a light but decent tripod, you might have to spend some hard cash (though Manfrotto and Velbon do some half-decent looking cheaper aluminium tripods).

I became aware of Feisol when looking at various photography websites, where they were recommended as cheaper alternatives to Gitzo's. Another similar brand worth looking at is Benro (not Benbo!) who are a Chinese Gitzo knock-off. Both Feisol and Benro are reputed to have similar build quality to Gitzos, but at less than half the cost.

I have no experience of Benro, but can tell you that the Feisol is a nice product. It is supplied with both a centre column and a flat plate, for direct mounting of a tripod head such as a Manfrotto 390RC (which I use-about 500g). They also make a slightly taller 4-section model (CT-3401), and from their website they have just introduced new even lighter models which are around 1kg, yet seem to be just as sturdy as the older models (sorry, can't recall the product number!). At the moment they are only available direct from the manufacturer in Taiwan, but they could be worth watching as it seems they are now looking for retail outlets in other countries to sell their products.

It's worth noting that there will be an import fee of around £30 (came as a bit of a shock!) on top of the purchase price of around £130. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for!

B & H has the ED 50 for $419 (no eyepiece) (314 EU) for both straight and angled models.
That is 15.8% discount or $80 (60 EU) less than the $499 (254 EU) it was selling for last week! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=426146&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Optics Planet has it listed for $459 on Amazon.com for the straight model http://www.amazon.com/Fieldscope-An...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1174785584&sr=8-1

Its been my experience that discounts are often used to clear inventory quickly for a model change, or successor. Perhaps (wishful thinking on my part) a new stay on case? All speculation on my part. Could a new model be coming? This appears to be a very good deal.

This is not a commentary on the scope - only the price.

Last edited:
Sancho said:
Congratulations on your new scope, mine has become a permanent attachment, might as well sew it onto my wrist. I was out at a local site today with the Cullmann shoulder-pod and a monopod, trying to experiment with various ways of reducing shake. I find the biggest problem, when there´s not much wind, is my own pulse rather than my breathing. Kneeling and bracing either shoulder or monopod against my knee helps, or removing the rubber stopper from the end of the monopod and sticking it into the ground, or else making use of available fence-posts, walls, etc. I can`t seem to find a decent lightweight tripod to suit the ED50, at least not in the stores in Dublin. They´re either flimsy rubbish, or don´t extend high enough. (Anyone got any good tripod advice re. ED50?) I agree with you that it´s been a wish-list item for years, Nikon are onto a winner with this one. Congrats again and best of luck on your trip.

Sancho,

You could try the Velbon Sherpa Pro 530 CF with Gitzo 2180 head. Weighs 1980 grams together. Great set up, I use it with my Zeiss 65 angled ( I'm 6 foot 4 ). Very solid feel. Very stable.
When I ever decide to sell the Zeiss I'll get the Nikon 50ED and not wanting another scope for the rest of my birding life.

Penny Clarke said:
Not made of very strong stuff then Pete ;) I managed to stand on the shore and saw it sailing beautifully in the wind in the afternoon!!!!!! Obviously not a Norfolk lad ;) !!!!!!

8-P

we did venture to the carpark. wandered along saw 8 shore lark, after 300 yards decided it was "a gull" and that there was better things to do. I want to know what happened to the promised weather!

Sancho said:
Feel your pulse - Sancho? That's the heart still beating extra hard 'cos you've spent so much money on that birding kit!!

I put mine on a Velbon CF Sherpa Pro with Manfrotto 700RC2 which is so very light and portable. There must be even lighter tripods but I suspect they'll not be sturdy enough. For bird hide use a hide-mount would be superb, I'd guess.

Last edited:
Anyone who has bought the ED50 or is thinking of buying one should read the thread 'Problem with ED50 tripod mount'

Sean

dogfish said:
Anyone who has bought the ED50 or is thinking of buying one should read the thread 'Problem with ED50 tripod mount'

Sean
I think they shouldn't worry, myself - just make sure they hang on to their purchase receipt.

People should indeed hang on to their receipts; they should also bear in mind that this part of the scope is very poorly constructed. Having a receipt is little consolation if the scope falls apart in the field. My advice would be to handle the tripod socket area very carefully. I have owned many scopes in the past 16 years or so and have never had a similar problem.

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back