• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Sparrows (1 Viewer)

Soyeb

"Im the Boogeyman and im coming to getcha"
Hi all :hi:
I have got five conifer trees in my garden and they have not been trimed for a year. As a result of this I get lots of sparrows visiting it. Today I have been watching the sparrows and some of them were going right in the middle of the conifers and they have never done this before. At about sunset I was hearing sparrow calls from the conifers. I have got a 2 year old blackbird nest in one of the conifers so is it possible that they might build a nest? and is it possible that form now on they will regularly roost in the tree?
Happy birding

I may be wrong but I Don't think house sparrows will build a nest in conifers. They like climbers againt a house either Ivy or Boston Ivy and holes in eaves.The Dunnocks maybe.

Soyeb said:
I have got five conifer trees in my garden and they have not been trimed for a year. As a result of this I get lots of sparrows visiting it. Today I have been watching the sparrows and some of them were going right in the middle of the conifers and they have never done this before. At about sunset I was hearing sparrow calls from the conifers. I have got a 2 year old blackbird nest in one of the conifers so is it possible that they might build a nest? and is it possible that form now on they will regularly roost in the tree?
Happy birding

Bonsoir, Soyeb! :loveme:

As a fellow Sparrow Fan, I'd like to think they might roost in the "wild" conifers. They are certainly adaptable little dears, and we have 2 flocks. One of them roosts in the sprawling ivy in our neighbour's garden (he enjoys having them as permanent guests!). So maybe they will decide to use your conifers. They certainly don't have many quiet, undisturbed bedrooms, do they?

All the best from rainy Brussels! :t:

Hi Soyeb

I have a couple of tall conifers which my large flock of sparrows spend a lot of time in, I can't always see them but they sit in there twittering away. I've never seen any sign of them nesting there but they do roost in the trees and also in the ivy growing over my fence. They disperse during nesting time but a couple of pairs always set up home under my neighbour's roof and raise at least three broods.

Other birds may use the trees to nest in, blackbirds and collared doves come to mind.
BTW, I saw a poorly sparrow sitting near my ground feeder this morning, when I went out later I saw it's lifeless body. No sign of any injury, I hope it hadn't been poisoned by contaminated seed.

Bea said:
BTW, I saw a poorly sparrow sitting near my ground feeder this morning, when I went out later I saw it's lifeless body. No sign of any injury, I hope it hadn't been poisoned by contaminated seed.

If it had succumbed to contaminated seed you would expect there to be a lot more bodies Bea. Far more likely to have been the cold weather sapping it's strength and it falling victim to infection. I'd give the feeders a good clean and also the water bowl to make sure it hasn't left any infection behind.

That makes sense Keith, death from natural causes.

Although I clean the feeders and bird bath every weekend, as soon as I found the little corpse I decided to give everything an extra good scrub, I'd run out of Ark-Klens so Dettox had to do.

I grumble about the sparrows eating all the food but I don't like to lose one.

Soyeb said:
Happy birding

They may not nest there although other birds like the Blackbird will, but they will spend wonderful times in your conifers,warm and safe, which is so important(hopefully).Enjoy :flyaway:

Hello Soyeb.It is highly unlikely that your sparrows will use an old blackbirds nest but, wherever they do nest,you can be sure they will bring their young to savour your hospitality.
Shepherd your flock. maurice.

Hi Soyeb,

We've had both Dunnocks and Blackbirds nest in our conifers....and with Birds most things are possible, but our Sparrows prefer the roof tiles to nest in between.

Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back