• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just Received My New Nikon ED82, Wow!!! (1 Viewer)

cl5man

I've been reading this forum for about a month now. After looking though all the big name scopes, in all the available sizes, I decided on the Nikon. All I can say is WOW. Crystal clear all way up to 56 power. I'm gona need to order the 75 power zoom and i'm thinking a wide angle eypiece in around the 40 power range. I'll be posting the 25-56 zoom lense on ebay shortly. Thanks for all the reviews and comments from everybody. I have zero regrets on my decision.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Sounds like you are a little more than ecstatic over your new purchase ;) That's a good thing.

Hi cl5man !
Can you tell us a little bit more of where and how you bought your NikoN ?
I'm thinking about doing the same, but where I live there aren't any dealers nor changes to try before ordering..

cl5man said:
I've been reading this forum for about a month now. After looking though all the big name scopes, in all the available sizes, I decided on the Nikon. All I can say is WOW. Crystal clear all way up to 56 power. I'm gona need to order the 75 power zoom and i'm thinking a wide angle eypiece in around the 40 power range. I'll be posting the 25-56 zoom lense on ebay shortly. Thanks for all the reviews and comments from everybody. I have zero regrets on my decision.
Get the 30X fixed eyepiece; WOW won't begin to describe your reaction.

I got the scope from "Accuflite" here in the states. I bought the kit which came with the scope, 25x-56x eyepiece, very nice case, and a very nice Bogen tripod for only $1,090. Accuflight is by far the cheapest place to buy just about anything to do with first-class optics. I had the scope sitting on my front porch in week. The owners name is JB, probably one of the nicest guys I've ever ordered from. I think i"ll be ordering the 30x WA eypiece tommarow. I believe that will give me 38x with the 82ed scope.

cl5man said:
I got the scope from "Accuflite" here in the states. I bought the kit which came with the scope, 25x-56x eyepiece, very nice case, and a very nice Bogen tripod for only $1,090. Accuflight is by far the cheapest place to buy just about anything to do with first-class optics. I had the scope sitting on my front porch in week. The owners name is JB, probably one of the nicest guys I've ever ordered from. I think i"ll be ordering the 30x WA eypiece tommarow. I believe that will give me 38x with the 82ed scope.
You can buy 30X, 38X, 50X and 75X fixed eyepieces for the ED82. The 38X only comes in the MC series. The DS series lists the 30/50/75 magnifications.
I use the 30X and 50X DS eyepieces.

See http://nikon.topica.ne.jp/bi_e/products/nature_c.htm for details.

John

John Traynor said:
You can buy 30X, 38X, 50X and 75X fixed eyepieces for the ED82. The 38X only comes in the MC series. The DS series lists the 30/50/75 magnifications.
I use the 30X and 50X DS eyepieces.

See http://nikon.topica.ne.jp/bi_e/products/nature_c.htm for details.

John

I have the ED82 with the 30xW eyepiece. It´s a very nice combo. But sometimes I wish I had a little more power - but just sometimes. 95% of the time I´m very happy with 30x power. I wear glasses..and I feel that the zoom is not very wide for me. Maybe the 50x eyepiece would be a better choice for me?

/Jonas

What an appropriate thread to start for me! I just received my Nikon 82ED today, with the 30x DS eyepiece, and also Wow.

This is also my first scope, and although I've tried to look through as many friends' scopes, the scopes of random birders who I could catch, and through the Swarovski's and Zeiss' at the local optics shop, I can hardly claim to be an expert. But:

I can't say there is anything about this scope that was better on any other scope I have tried. The view is very easy and wide, bright and sharp. At 30x and in the halflight,, it almost seems like putting a flashlight on the subject, it's so bright. I should be receiving a secondhand 25-75x MCII zoom later this week, and I am interested to see how bright that is at higher magnifications.

So far, I haven't any complaints with the focusing mechanisms: some people have semi-complained that it takes a bit of getting used to, that it's a bit too sensitive and stiff to begin with. Well, I see what they mean, but I find I'm focusing as fast as I have on any other scope I've tried. (Of course that's probably a lot slower than most of you lot).

One issue with the eyepiece: it doesn't have any kind of sticking-up eyehood, as far as I can tell. My girlfriend thought that made it a bit difficult to use - that sunlight could get in between your eye and the lens in certain situations. I honestly haven't found this a problem myself, but maybe that's the psychological delusionary effects of spending 1000 Euros...

I tried to start a star test. I think this will work much better with the zoom at high power, but I thought I'd give it a go (ok, it was dark and I wanted to play with it...). The first bright object I managed to get had a bright oval ring around it... disaster... and then I realized I'd found Saturn :)

Next thing is to get a tripod that does justice to this scope. I'm borrowing a dirt-cheap lightweight tripod from work, and, without a doubt, I'm coming up against the limitations of the tripod way more than the limitations of the scope.

The Kingfisher said:
I have the ED82 with the 30xW eyepiece. It´s a very nice combo. But sometimes I wish I had a little more power - but just sometimes. 95% of the time I´m very happy with 30x power. I wear glasses..and I feel that the zoom is not very wide for me. Maybe the 50x eyepiece would be a better choice for me?

/Jonas
Jonas,

In my opinion, the 30X is useful in ALL conditions and, if it was the only eyepiece available for the ED82, I'd be extremely satisfied. A few comments about the 50X.

When conditions are optimal (clear air, low heat disturbance), the 50X is as sharp, colorful and useful as the 30X. I bought my scope during the winter when conditions were ripe for enjoying the 50X and I used it exclusively for a few weeks. However, as soon as it began to warm up, I noticed a significant decline in the quality of long distance images in the 50X. Heat, even on the surface of a frozen lake, is a magnification killer, regardless of the quality of the eyepiece. I do, however, plan to use the 50X in warm weather.

Normally, we associate high magnification solely with long distance viewing but, as we all know, warm weather can render a highly magnified image all but useless. Fortunately, I find the 50X extremely enjoyable in the 50-200 yard range, though a bit of practice is required to quickly locate a bird. Heat shimmer is often insignificant at this range and the amount of detail is stunning. I know people whose sole interest is an ID and body count; I am not in their company. My wife and I spent an hour gazing at seven Long-Eared Owls through the 50X and I don't think the birds were more than 70 feet away. On another occasion, we viewed two owls from this group through the 30X and that, too, was immensely satisfying. The 50X revealed minute hairs, dust particles and subtle variations of eye pigment along with a host of other close-up details.

Obviously, a perfect zoom would be the best lens choice and the matter would be settled. I didn’t find a zoom I enjoyed as much as the 30X DS, but that’s a matter of preference, not a measure of eyepiece quality. The Nikon 30X and 50X DS eyepieces deliver exceptional images that are as good or better than any I’ve seen.

If you want the best possible image on a limited budget, consider the following fixed eyepiece combinations in ~80mm scopes:

Swarovski ATS HD 80mm ED, 30X, case.
$2440

Leica Televid 77 APO, 32X, case
$2400

Zeiss 85mm FL, 30X, case
$1618

Nikon Fieldscope 82mm ED, 30X, case
$1330
(Do not be fooled by the price. The image quality in this scope/eyepiece is as good or better than my SE 8X32 and I haven't seen anything that beats my SE.)

John

I'm a little confused now. I see that there are two different types of wide angle eypieces available. The DS series and the "other" ones. I was under the impresion that the DS series was for using with a camera. At least thats what the guy at The Sprotsmans Warehouse told me. Is the DS better than the standard wide angle? I want the best available, which one should I buy?

lachlustre said:
What an appropriate thread to start for me! I just received my Nikon 82ED today, with the 30x DS eyepiece, and also Wow.

Next thing is to get a tripod that does justice to this scope. I'm borrowing a dirt-cheap lightweight tripod from work, and, without a doubt, I'm coming up against the limitations of the tripod way more than the limitations of the scope.

Rob

Glad to learn you got your scope. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

If your looking for a tripod/head check www.Marktplaats.nl

e.g.

http://www.marktplaats.nl/index.php...vRfl9iytri%2BVuV7VwSCb%2FvsDXAgzGg%3D%3D&df=1

http://www.marktplaats.nl/index.php...vRfl9iytri%2BVuV7VwSCb%2FvsDXAgzGg%3D%3D&df=1

The one i got

Oh and... did you get the right stay-on-case?

Good luck

Last edited:
cl5man said:
I got the scope from "Accuflite" here in the states. I bought the kit which came with the scope, 25x-56x eyepiece, very nice case, and a very nice Bogen tripod for only $1,090. Accuflight is by far the cheapest place to buy just about anything to do with first-class optics.

What is their web address? Under www.accuflite.com I find mostly hunter related products with a rather poor selection on binoculars and nothing on the types of scopes we are discussing here.

They actually build custom rifles as there main buisness I believe. They sell all brands of optics. Most of there top end stuff is price on request. He had to order my scope from Nikon, but it still only took 5 days total to get to my front door.

cl5man said:
They actually build custom rifles as there main buisness I believe. They sell all brands of optics. Most of there top end stuff is price on request. He had to order my scope from Nikon, but it still only took 5 days total to get to my front door.

You claimed they are "by far the cheapest", but in this way it is hard to compare. Can you let us know what you actually paid for what, assuming that is their regular price? Or is there only that kit price you mentioned earlier? It's rather difficult from a kit price to conclude that other prices would also be that low. And I must admit I found no models on their web site that I am sufficiently familiar with to allow me an instant comparison with other sellers. Maybe you can help us a bit, since you must have made such comparisons for your own purchases?

Last edited:

The link I've been using is below. Like I said earlier, I had to call and get pricing on the Nikon brand. I actually got three prices from them. They are listed below. I'm not a dealer, nor did I get any kind of discount. These prices were from my very first conversation with JB at Accuflite. I never really compared the prices of anything but the Kit. I know most places on the net are asking between $1,200 and $1,275 for this exact kit.

Item 7556- $1059
This is the kit I got. It inlcuded the 82 ED scope body,Bogen tripod,
25-56 eypiece and cover.
Item 7554- $795
This is the 82 ED body only, no eyepiece.
Item 6928- $689
This is the Fieldscope EDIII body only, no eyepiece

http://home.earthlink.net/~accuflite/AccufliteOpticsMain.htm

cl5man said:
I'm a little confused now. I see that there are two different types of wide angle eypieces available. The DS series and the "other" ones. I was under the impresion that the DS series was for using with a camera. At least thats what the guy at The Sprotsmans Warehouse told me. Is the DS better than the standard wide angle? I want the best available, which one should I buy?
I have understood that the DS and the "other" (MCII) eyepieces are optically identical, the only difference being the eyecup design. In the DS eyepiece the effective eye-relief distance is minimized for camera compatibility and there is only a non-adjustable rubbery eyecup. In the MCII eyepieces you have adjustable turn-in/out eyecups, which are not as easily compatible with digiscoping adapters. If you are comfortable with the eyecup of the DS, you can freely use it for viewing, but if you don't plan to do any digiscoping in the future, the adjustable eyecups may make eye placement even easier.

Ilkka

The Kingfisher said:
I have the ED82 with the 30xW eyepiece. It´s a very nice combo. But sometimes I wish I had a little more power - but just sometimes. 95% of the time I´m very happy with 30x power.

Jonas,

Have you considered a 2-3x "doubler/booster"? You would get a good one for about the same price as a new eyepiece, and that way you could easily get more power for that remaining 5% of time. Of course the view does not give the same WOW-feeling but that way you would have a powerful 60-90x which is often sufficient for IDing the birds.

Ilkka

iporali said:
I have understood that the DS and the "other" (MCII) eyepieces are optically identical, the only difference being the eyecup design. In the DS eyepiece the effective eye-relief distance is minimized for camera compatibility and there is only a non-adjustable rubbery eyecup. In the MCII eyepieces you have adjustable turn-in/out eyecups, which are not as easily compatible with digiscoping adapters. If you are comfortable with the eyecup of the DS, you can freely use it for viewing, but if you don't plan to do any digiscoping in the future, the adjustable eyecups may make eye placement even easier.

Ilkka

I use a Fieldscope EDIII with a x30W MCII and a x24DS eyepiece. I know the magnification is different, but in my opinion the view though the x24DS is better. That's not to say there is anything wrong with the x30W - its a great eyepiece, but somehow the x24 seems sharper and brighter. The eyecups on the x30W of course is a little more user friendly for viewing through, but the slip on rubber guard for the DS works okay.

Hardly a scientific appraisal, I know!

iporali said:
Have you considered a 2-3x "doubler/booster"?
Ilkka

What is a "Doubler/booster". Can you give a link? Just curious.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Peter

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back