• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camcorder Tape to CD/ DVD (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hi,

I have 3 CCD camcorder Sony HC DCR 1000 ( 3 x 1 Megapixel ).
In the standart package is software for PC, but only MPEG 1 ( only CD ).
It seems poor quality in comparing of the performance of the camcorder.
Which software is useful to create better CD and DVD ?

Best regards
Dieter

Do you have any other software installed such as Pinnacle studio 10? Have you tried connecting your camcorder direct to the pc with a firewire or usb2 and download the video from the camcorder directly using that software or other third party software? For me as to choice of software I like the pinnacle systems and roxio products.

Cd/dvd

Robert L Jarvis said:
Do you have any other software installed such as Pinnacle studio 10? Have you tried connecting your camcorder direct to the pc with a firewire or usb2 and download the video from the camcorder directly using that software or other third party software? For me as to choice of software I like the pinnacle systems and roxio products.

Hi Robert,

I use a cable whith the same plug of USB stick copy, for connecting camcorder. I tried Magix, but all time appear something like no connection.

Best regards
Dieter

albatross02 said:
Hi,

I have 3 CCD camcorder Sony HC DCR 1000 ( 3 x 1 Megapixel ).
In the standart package is software for PC, but only MPEG 1 ( only CD ).
It seems poor quality in comparing of the performance of the camcorder.
Which software is useful to create better CD and DVD ?

Best regards
Dieter

The answer is simple but initially expensive. Scrap your PC and buy an Apple Mac. You will then be able to directly connect your Digital Camcorder to the computer. Everything that is necessary is already built into an Apple Mac.

I have a Sony PC330E which I connect to my PC via a Firewire lead. I use Pinnacle Studio 8 software which allows me to edit the tape and copy to DVD in MPEG 2, giving good results on playback via my TV.

Firewire is the best alternative for downloading to a PC in Dvd format. If you download the tape as DV format then you must re-compile the video to Dvd or MPEG2. Any time you recompile a video there will be a loss of quality so it's generally best to outfit the PC with the means of capturing strait to Dvd format (720x480).

While MACs are best suited for image and video editting, any PC can turn out the same quality with todays technologies. Most PCs are equipped with 1394 Firewire ports on the motherboard, but even those that are not, you can purchase a firewire card for about $30-$50 US Dollars and use almost any video editting application to create Dvd quality videos.

Last edited:
The way to get the best quality to play on a TV (besides connecting the camcorder directly) is to create a DVD as follows.
Capture the video from the camcorder via firewire (NOT USB, if your PC does not have firewire you will need to install a card and you also need a cable).
Capture in DV-AVI format (NOT MPEG2). For this step you can use Windows Movie Maker, part of WinXP or WinDV, a free package. DV-AVI files are huge, about 13GB for 1hr of video.
You now can edit your movie if you want using Movie Maker. Save it as DV-AVI after editing.
Now you need a DVD authoring program like NeroVision, TMPGEnc DVD Author or similar. I don't know of any good free programs that will do this.
You now have to encode the movie to MPEG2 (DVD) format and author the menus on the DVD. Use the highest quality setting and VBR 2 pass. This will take quite a while (hours) depending on PC speed.
Burn the DVD. Use a good quality DVD as cheapies may give problems.

See these links:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t112471.html
http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/158/59/
http://www.papajohn.org/

Regards, Mike

I had Nerovision Express 3 free with my newest computer (so probably wouldn't cost much to buy) and it is very easy to use. I had spent many hours trawling through DVD authoring information on the web, and was getting quite frustrated, but this program made it simple.

I think that sony Camcorders will only transfer vidio to a PC by using the Sony version of firewire ( Applies to mine PC-109e, ( 2 years old )). Stills can go across via usb. Have a look at the user guide that came with your Camcorder

Just looked it up. Its call I-Link. Your manual ( P72, Burn DVD) says refer to the supplied software guide.
It looks as if an I-Link cable is not supplied !.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back