• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Sparrows (1 Viewer)

Gentoo said:
Yes. House Saprrows eat anything. You can put out ball bearings and the bastards will eat them!

Your post should be deleted because although you are entitled to your opinion,it was not helpful and infact insulting.It also draws out the worst in people like myself who know who the true B******s are.

House Sparrows prefer Sunflower hearts, SparrowMan and small seeds.

Mary Evelyn said:
Your post should be deleted because although you are entitled to your opinion,it was not helpful and infact insulting.It also draws out the worst in people like myself who know who the true B******s are.

I found the above post very helpful and i did not see anything insulting in it.
In North America, house sparrows are introduced and invasive. They take the food and nesting sites/holes/boxes of many native species.
I am fortunate to live in a rural area without firearm restrictions. I shoot Starlings, House Sparrows, and Cowbirds as much as i can.

Luca said:
In North America, house sparrows are introduced and invasive. They take the food and nesting sites/holes/boxes of many native species.
I am fortunate to live in a rural area without firearm restrictions. I shoot Starlings, House Sparrows, and Cowbirds as much as i can.

So it's good to call them Bast**** and feed them ball bearings and to cop it, shoot as many as you can.How nice.

Mary Evelyn said:

I forgot how sensetive people on this forum can be. Didn't men to offend you although it probably won't be the first time it happens. I edited it for you and others who may share your opinion.

I see House Sparrows eat everything everyday on the employee dining patio at work. They will go to any ungarded plate and will even eat food covered in Tabasco sauce without being phased by it. French fries, fried chicken you name it they eat it.

Luca said:
Careful you might them cry. It's not always understood that many American birders and even ornithologists detest these wretched things. I don't kiil them (the ball bearings thing was a joke lighten up people), I don't kill wildlife at all for the most part. Doesn't mean I have to like them. Wonder where all our Bluebirds are? Oh nevermind just remembered.

Listen, I'm not a fan of House sparrows either. However, I will also clarify ME's point that they prefer the hearts and small seeds like millet. (They don't seem to be to fond of thistle, good for my nesting House finches and the visiting Goldfinches). However, sunflower hearts are the only heart they get from me.

It's not what one says but the way that one says it.

My point is simply that.

When someone asks a question as SparrowMan did,then answer it politely and if you don't like Sparrows remember that many of us do,that's all.

If the advice isn't given with the birds interest at heart then don't give it and if you don't like Sparrows, don't post as it has nothing to do with the original question.

birdpotter said:
Just a quick reminder, although House Sparrows and Starlings are non-native, Cowbirds are and it is illegal to kill them.
This is true and many areas have Cowbird removal programs in place which is conducted I believe by the US fish and wildlife service or some other organization.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back