• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Longevity of EL 10x42 (1 Viewer)

KieronP

Hi all,
Approaching my 40th and decided to treat myself to a new pair of bins, I have tested/tried lots and settled on the EL 10x42. The price is obviously a significant outlay but I haven't seen much written about their life span. I would hope that with some good TLC these binoculars would see my into retirement at a minimum, is that a realistic expectation?

Thanks
Kieron

Hi all,
Approaching my 40th and decided to treat myself to a new pair of bins, I have tested/tried lots and settled on the EL 10x42. The price is obviously a significant outlay but I haven't seen much written about their life span. I would hope that with some good TLC these binoculars would see my into retirement at a minimum, is that a realistic expectation?

Thanks
Kieron

Hi Kieron,

Welcome to Bird Forum:hi:

Probably so. But keep an open mind about it. You are not yet 40. Swarovski binoculars have a reputation for lasting a long time but now their European warranty period is 11 years. About that time you might want them cleaned,etc.

Also by then your eyes might have changed and you might like the larger exit pupil of an 8x and you also might prefer the lower power because the "shake" factor is magnified more in 10x.

Bob

Last edited:
I would think a quality binocular, well taken care of, should last a lifetime;
cheap optics, or IS electronics may not
but your needs change, quality of optics improve with time

look at the threads of older binoculars and how they have/have not survived

edj

Hi all,

Thanks
Kieron

Kieron,

Welcome to BF and congrets with your final choice.

European law forced the A-brands (Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski) for a warranty period of 10 years, because the original spareparts got to be used in that period in stead of the upgraded parts which appear as the years go by.
Your bin will last your lifetime (and the people who gets them after that will praise you for your choice) and if something might occur, I have every confidence that Swarovski Austria will take care of it as they have proven 'till this current day.

Enjoy in good health:t:.

Jan

I was wrong. It is 10 years in Europe. See Jan's post. I think my 8x30 CL might have an 11 year warranty in America. I will have to check the papers that came with it.

Bob

Bob:

Here we go again, you are posting warranty information in error.

Both Swarovski and Zeiss have Limited Lifetime Transferrable warranties
on their optics sold in the USA.

Jerry

Bob:

Here we go again, you are posting warranty information in error.

Both Swarovski and Zeiss have Limited Lifetime Transferrable warranties
on their optics sold in the USA.

Jerry

Jerry,

I wasn't discussing transferable warranties. OP is planning to keep his binocular.

But you are right on one point. I said I thought the warranty in the US was 11 years. I stand corrected; it is 10 years. It says so in writing on Page 73 of the Instruction booklet that came with my CL Pocket 8x25. It is the very first sentence on the WARRANTY PAGE.

It also says the same thing on page 83 of the instruction book that came with my CL Companion 8x30. Also in the very first sentence.

I have other Swarovski binoculars of older vintage which have longer warranty lengths.

These statements are unequivocal. There are about 10 paragraphs below them discussing the warranty further which purchasers are advised to read.

Bob

Last edited:
We used to have a "sticky" on warranties, and on it I posted a response from Swarovski about the change in policy, but it's no longer there. I think that was about 2 years ago, maybe a bit longer. As I recall, the wording of the response was a bit vague such that I got the impression Swaro would try to fix your bin even if it was older than 10 years, as Jan suggested.

However, at that time, Swaro also announced that the company would no longer keep spare parts longer than 10 years. So the "limited" in that U.S. limited lifetime warranty means that your bin might outlive spare parts to fix it if a part fails.

One of the great things about Swarovski bins and a justification for their high price was that they really could last a lifetime unless you are just a babe. Mooreorless sent his 20-year-old Swaro 7x30 SLC in for repairs, and it came back refurbished. However, Swarovski didn't offer as many models back then as they do today, so they need to keep a larger inventory of spare parts.

As the Monkees once sang: That was then, and this is now. Swaro fans will insist, no matter what the official policy, Swaro will fix your bin in 10 years and 1 day, or 20 years from now. Maybe, but only if they have enough spare parts.

Given Swaro's stellar repair and customer service reputation (except with fixing wonky focusers, which can be spotty), I would think that if the company couldn't fix the bins for lack of parts in 10 years or 20 years, they would offer you a more recent model in the same configuration. At the rate Swaro is increasing its prices, you will really make out, because your $2,500 bin will cost 4x as much in 20 years or about $10,000!

Brock

Last edited:
Kieron,

Of course the future contains unknowns, but you couldn't have chosen a finer binocular, nor from a company more noted for service. Enjoy it with confidence.

Optically, the best binoculars such as this now approach perfection rather closely as far as the eye can judge. Transmission percentages run well into mid 90s zone, color error can scarcely be perceived, and edge sharpness is so good that the entire field is usable for critical viewing.

"It couldn't get much better than this!" has probably been said, with complete conviction, since Galileo's telescope. But at last, I think it is true. Upgrading just ain't the fun it used to be.

A binocular from 100 years ago can be superbly crafted, but low transmission and color error make it a lousy choice as a daily birder. Not so, a Swarovision, or the like, 100 years from now. It is guaranteed to transmit with 7% of the state of the art then, and the color error and edge correction are guaranteed to be almost imperceptibly worse. As a result, ironically, it has at last become truly important for a binocular to endure for a very time.

Ron

Kieron,
Swarovski is as excellent as possible as far as service is concerned. So, given the uncertainties of life, you should be very much on the safe side. Enjoy your swaro, if it fits you, its perfect.

As an example, my own No.1 bino is a Kowa, which I bought because it does fit my eyes, face and hands perfectly. A Swaro is optically slightly better, but ergonomically only second place.

The disadvantage of my Kowa, over here I have a limited ten year warranty, with the latter five years only being for parts, not labour. In case of a more serious defect, is would have to be send to Japan, because the importer does not provide for repairs. But I dont care, because I thorougly enjoy every moiment I use the Kowa.

So treat yourself to your favourite, enjoy it and dont worry about things which may happen or not.

I would say yes. Unless there are radical changes in customer service at Swarovski, they will look after you regardless of the warranty period being 3 years or 30 years.

A decent binocular like a Swarovski EL should last a good 30 years plus. My 8.5x42 from 2002 look a little worn at the edges but still perform remarkably well and I would expect at least another 20 years from them bar any radical damage to them.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back