• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A day out at Welney WWT 6th April 2014 (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Welney WWT Trip – Sunday 6th April 2014

My partner and I decided to go to Welney WWT for a Sunday walkabout the reserve, mainly to see what bird life there was there in mid-April time. :-O

Today’s weather was a little unpredictable. Rain was not too much of an issue for us, as long as it did not rain as that would spoil things for us. :gh:

We arrived at the end of the A428 road, and continued onto the A421 motorway. This was when got my first sighting of a Kestrel hovering in mid-air. Its feathers splayed open, like a fan; head still, while it surveyed the area for food. The bird looked down while looking into the grass verge on the hunt for food.

The verges of the motorway had become grassy, and lush over the past few weekends. Plenty of hiding places for rodents, and small animals to hide. Lots of Rooks, Crows and Magpies walked about the area continuing their quest to hunt for grubs, and insects in the same manner as the Kestrel but on ground level only. There was no shortage of Woodpigeons in flight while they lumbered their way across the roadway o:)

Vast areas of land contained Oil Seed Rape growing in yellow blankets of fields. The white blossom of the bushes stood out, and made the sceanery summery, and bright. The colours brightened up the area, and it brought a smile to ones face.

Pleasant, warm weather was about now for April time. The flora, budding trees, and fauna made its presence known everywhere we looked.

We continued towards the Black Cat Roundabout passing by many Rookeries, the bedraggled nests high up in trees, and the Rooks perched on the branches close to their nests. The higher the trees the bigger attraction it was for the Crows. I was under the impression that the ‘Rookeries’ have increased in number a whole lot over the past 4 years or so. This has been noted after many trips past the same areas over the years to visit the same favourite reserves that we go to on a daily basis. There is a notable difference now with Rooks, and how well they are doing as a species now.

Then Kestrel number 2 appeared at the side of the motorway in the sky hovering as the previous one did in mid-air outside the passenger window. I looked up at the bird’s undercarriage on the way past. The hunt for food was there due to the time of year. The breeding period of the Kestrel would be apparant now in April, and they would be busy as many other birds are raising their families now o:)

Lots of Rooks walked about the road side, while they grazed on the verges close to the road side in their own unique, gentle, dainty way. They picked up worms, and grubs from the grass, and it was interesting to study. Lots of Danadelions had flowered, and the place was full of yellow and white. A newly ‘ploughed’ field was full of wandering Black Headed Gulls searching for inects and tit bits on the ground. The Gulls where at different stages in their lifes – some had black coloured heads, and other juveniles had not – but still remained in the group close together making their calls to one another in a hive of communication.

Many Crows, and Magpies made their way over the roadway in two's mainly – some with nesting material in their bills. A Magpie took a risk and decided to land in the middle roadway to pick up some nesting material, and with precision timing flew off in the nick of time as cars flew by in all directions. There is nothing cheekier than a member of the Crow family taking risks as they do.

1. Bird sighting board in the Welney Visitors Centre for the 6th April 2014
2. Welney Plaque
3. Observatory Hide
4. Diary Notes from the Observatory Hide
5. My OH outside Welney Visitors Centre

continued...

Attachments

• 162.JPG
    162.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 166.JPG
    166.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 168.JPG
    168.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 169.JPG
    169.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 159.JPG
    159.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 76
The sun was trying to come out and there was the first signs of blue skies, and that gave us hope as we travelled along the A14 – getting closer to our destination. A dead Badger was noted lying on the side of the roadway which added a little bit of sadness to the situation. Lots of Pheasant calls where noted as we travelled with the car windows open, and the bird calls just filled the air around us with the business of nesting, and finding mates and endless bustle of living life o:)

A Buzzard made its way along the low Hedges on the top of the bank nearby, and landed on a fence post. I looked at it out of the car window. It had found some food and was enjoying its bounty while perched on the post.
We turned onto the A10, and carried on with our journey. A few Wood Pigeons sat together on one utility wire all together in a group. They flew off together in a large group because they where frightened in some way. Many smaller birds copied them, flew off in their dozens, and followed the Wood Pigeons in flight to another area.

Finally we arrived at Wishbeck Road and made our way to Welney. We arrived in the Car Park. Sadly, we had just missed the Whooper Swans feeding times, and they where not there now. Never mind {sad} :-C

The first birds noted where a couple of Jackdaws moving about the carpark landing on a fence nearby. A Coot exploded into a loud pitched call, in the water under the wooden bridge, and made itself scarce once more. We got out of the car, and the air was filled with Skylarks twittering in a non-stop way that they do in quick motion. They where near impossible to see in the sky as they flew on the wing, and on the spot like they do. Lots of finches moved about the car park – Chaffinches, Greenfinches, and Goldfinches twittered, and called to one another everywhere we looked in the area. :-O

A Wrens piercing call filled the air every so often. One Pied Wagtail ‘tweeted’ out while in its funfair flight before it landed on the Reserve visitor centre building roof, and continued to make its presence felt even after it landed in its preferred spot.

We where told that the reserve was dry enough to walk about with wearing any waterproof footwear, so that was a relief. All the hides where open except one which had to be repaired (Allport Hide) due to the bad weather, and floods at the beginning of the year. We bought one or two gifts, and made our way to the Wigeon Café. We had a cup of tea and a scone. A nice relax was in order before our walk about. I did my usual thing, and that was to take a photo of the bird sightings odf species, which has been seen over the past few days. It made for some interesting reading to all birders (like myself) :-O

Last time we came to Welney a few years ago, (March 2011) much of the Reserve was nearly underwater, but still had a lot of birdlife. This time it was a lot quieter. It was dry and easy to walk about, and we where happy with the outcome.

We made our way to the Observer Hide, and we walked over the wooden bridge, and sat down in the hide to see what was about. OH and I looked down into the water to see if there was anything worth noting. I noted that the House Martin nest was under the roof eves. Sadly there was no activity as it is too early in the year. :gh:

6. Information sign about Godwits
7. Male Shelduck
8. Avocets in flight
9. 2 Avocets with Redshank
10. Avocet

continued...

Attachments

• 222.JPG
    222.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 54
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 138.JPG
    138.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 070.JPG
    070.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
The bullrushes where beige coloured, and straw like and they swung in the wind making rustling nosies as they swung back and forth. The dense growth had thickened out now, and just the place for all the Warblers to hide in, and made their territory in for the next few months. :gh:

The waterway provided a good all round view of Avocets moving about, calling to one another, and courting in their two-somes. We could see Shelducks in the water, and moving about the green pasture land for as far as we could see. A Juvenile Black Headed Gull swam in one of the quieter areas of the lakes. Other birds noted where Cormorants, Greylags, Mallards, Rufted Ducks, Stock Dove, Pied Wagtail, and Wigeon. The Skylarks twittered up above our heads. A few Mute Swans remained sat down in the distance fields and remained in their pairs and never moved at all. :king:

We moved on to the Reedbed Hide first as it was the shortest route for us to begin with. It was quiet today, and too many people where around. It gave us ample opportunity to enjoy the hides on our own at times in peace, and quiet.

The wind factor had increased, and was now getting to be quite noticable to us. It was having an affect on our scope which we had tied to the one shelved area in the hide. The Reedbed Hide quivered, and shook in the wind so it made it hard to use the scope in any way at all. The Scope vibrated, and it made us feel quite uncomfortable at times – the earth moved a bit for us LOL. :eek!::eek!::eek!:

Once more there where lots of Shelducks moved about the area, and they never remained still for any length of time at all. Some remained in flight over and over again across the area of pasture land. Mute Swans sat about the area, and looked although that they in nesting mode for this time of year

Skylarks filled the air with their presence outside the hide window. A Lesser Black Backed Gull sat on the perch of a low fence in the distance. I could hear Curlews calls floating in the air. We identified one Curlew wandering around in the distance, and it was very hard to see, because its camouflage made it hard to keep a track of while it moved about the area. A Male Pheasant made a loud ’sqwuack’ close to the hide window, and we could see its head bobbing up, and down in the long grass. The usual suspects Wigeon, Shelducks, Wigeon, Tufted Ducks, Cormorants, and Mute Swans where noted in the area. :-O

A large bumble Bee buzzed closeby. Due to the Bees size a Queen bee came to mind, and she was on the look out for a place to set up a new hive in the area. o:)

We walked by the Dragonfly Pond. A notice mentioned that there was on-going maintenance work due to the damage by the floods earlier this year.
We left the Reedbed Hide, and walked past the Visitors Centre once more, and to the next hide – the Nelson-Lyle Hide (used to be Buxton Hide from my last report I wrote in 2011) Lots of Pussy Willow buds where growing in abundance everywhere. Willow Trees had been cut down, where bundled together on the ground everywhere we looked – Pussy willow buds lay on the pathway in their dozens everywhere. :gh:

Early flowers grew in clumps everywhere on the pathway verge. Daffodils grew in clumps close to the hide. We made our way in and sat down one more observed what birds where in view out of the wooden windows. We could hear the calls from Lapwing, and Greylag Geese. o:D

11. Avocets
12. Avocets
13. Avocets
14. Reedbed Hide
15. Dragonfly Pond

continued...

Attachments

• 089.JPG
    089.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 115.JPG
    115.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 156.JPG
    156.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 185.JPG
    185.JPG
    284 KB · Views: 53
  • 186.JPG
    186.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 48
A few Great Crested Grebe was noted far out in the waterways. Gadwall swam around in twosome, dabbling on the surface of the water, pulling water weed of some type from the surface. Once more the calls of the Pied Wagtail filled the air. The usual groups of ducks where noted Mute Swan, Tufted ducks, Wigeon, Teal, Red Shanks (x2), Shoveler, Black Headed Gull, Mallard, Coots, Moorhens, and so forth

We moved onto the Lyle Hide, and like the Neslon-Lyle Hide we had views of the same species all over again. Moving on as we did, we walked past by the Allport Hide, and it had a board saying that it was not open to the public due to the damage caused by the winter floods

Finally the Friends Hide was the last visit of the day. We noted once more the Avocet where very apparent, and their calls and behaviour noted as before. A couple of Redshanks remained on one of the smaller islands close to the Avocets. A Grey Heron showed us a lumbered flight across the waterway as per usual, not unlike the Cormorants in their exacting behaviour. With both birds, their flight looked tiresome, cumbersome, and not very graceful at all.

Another birder in the Friends Hide told us that there was one Garganey hiding in the reeds to our left. I did see its rear end, and not much more. We are lucky to have seen the second sighting of the Garganey in one month – once at Rutland, and now Norfolk in March/April – so it could not be any better for us. o:D

On our way back to the visitors centre there was a threat of rain in the air. I took a photo a couple of Mute Swans in the stream to our left, due to the fact they looked photogenic and serene.

We got back to the visitors centre and bought some bird related bits pieces, and made our way home.

On our trip back we came across another dead Badger on the side of the road. It was doubly sad for us, after seeing one Badger has suffered the same fate on our trip to Welney. :-C

We enjoyed our day out a lot and writing this report has put me on the map again after some time out from report writing. I intend to write many more now and in the future.

Thank you for taking time everyone to read this report, and putting me back on the ‘birding’ map :t: :gh: :t:

16. Mute Swans
17. Mute Swans
18. Jackdaws

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• 237.JPG
    237.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 238.JPG
    238.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 249.JPG
    249.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 47
Hi Kathy, nice reports of your visits to Welney WWT, My old stamping ground - Welney, is a very special place for me personally,one of the best places to see the 3 swan species that reside/visit UK; Mute, Whooper, and Bewick's respectively and wildfowl etc. (referring to the winter period where it can be extremely cold but very rewarding). I've found February the most interesting month to visit. If one's lucky to be there then when it's sunny and blue skies, there aint nothin' to beat seeing the swans 'float in' in their flocks of fifty + at a time. Magic!!

And the seeming myriads of duck all around a veritable feast for the eye. :t:

Hi Kathy, nice reports of your visits to Welney WWT, My old stamping ground - Welney, is a very special place for me personally,one of the best places to see the 3 swan species that reside/visit UK; Mute, Whooper, and Bewick's respectively and wildfowl etc. (referring to the winter period where it can be extremely cold but very rewarding). I've found February the most interesting month to visit. If one's lucky to be there then when it's sunny and blue skies, there aint nothin' to beat seeing the swans 'float in' in their flocks of fifty + at a time. Magic!!

And the seeming myriads of duck all around a veritable feast for the eye. :t:

Thank you bird Nut for your kind reply, and that you are an avid fan of welney.

Last time we went to Welney in March 2011 ans we saw Corn Buntings on the reserve - times have changed now.

Seeing a lot of Whoopers or Bewicks together is something else, and at feeding time too

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back