• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some advice needed (1 Viewer)

LozSanders

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all replies to my recent thread,I have now done some research but some further info wouldn't go amiss........

As I'm just stepping into the digital SLR world I don't want to go over the top with my spending so have been looking into what I can get second hand and have a few options in my price range. Now before I go on I will just let you know that the majority of my photography will be of birds however I am looking into doing a photography course at the end of the year focussing on other areas and will need a capible camera for both these elements in mind.

Now people with experience with the following cameras please guide me the right way;

FUJI FINEPIX S5000
FUJI S1 PRO
FUJI S2 PRO

CANON EOS300D
CANON EOS10D

Also who's used cheap alternative telephoto lenses that actually work well for birding? If you have then what ones?

Thanks for reading and any advice will be appreciated
Lauren :flowers:

LozSanders said:
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all replies to my recent thread,I have now done some research but some further info wouldn't go amiss........

As I'm just stepping into the digital SLR world I don't want to go over the top with my spending so have been looking into what I can get second hand and have a few options in my price range. Now before I go on I will just let you know that the majority of my photography will be of birds however I am looking into doing a photography course at the end of the year focussing on other areas and will need a capible camera for both these elements in mind.

Now people with experience with the following cameras please guide me the right way;

FUJI FINEPIX S5000
FUJI S1 PRO
FUJI S2 PRO

CANON EOS300D
CANON EOS10D

Also who's used cheap alternative telephoto lenses that actually work well for birding? If you have then what ones?

Thanks for reading and any advice will be appreciated
Hi Lauren,
Although I use a Fuji S2, I really wouldn't advise it (nor the S1) for most bird photography situations. They use quite old technology for autofocus and are a bit sluggish in operation, albeit they probably produce marginally better images (colour, resolution) than the other cameras mentioned. To my knowledge, the Fuji S5000 isn't a typical dslr, in that you don't use interchangeable lenses with it.

Canon 10d is the one to go for, rapid and a very good pedigree in bird photography. Also check out the Nikon d70, which can be found for under £500 s/h or even refurbished.

Cheap alternative telephoto lenses? Presume you mean Sigma/Tokina and suchlike... they can match and better the cheaper offerings from Canon and Nikon (who both produce cheap junk lenses!)

Cheers,
Andy

Andy Bright said:
Hi ya,

Excellant thanks for your info. Have to say haven't even looked into nikon as thought it'd probably been way expensive but I'll look into it. Seen some excellant pics using the canon 300d? But the body does put me off a little.
Canon 10D hey? Have heard great things about it.

You've really helped and thanks for info on lenses too,really struggling to grasp about those!!

Cheers

Lauren If going for a Canon digital camera eg 10d 300d with a sigma lens then do make sure that it has been rechipped for a digital camera, because if it has'nt then its unlikely to work on a 10d or 300d.

Hi Lauren,

I have the 10D and it's a great camera. I initially had a Sigma 50-500 lens, but this was far too heavy for me to carry round all day, so I sold that and bought a Sigma 135-400. Much better to carry and I don't really miss the extra focal length. I don't think this lens is that expensive new - depends what your budget is. See the Warehouse Express site.

I still have a 1.4x converter that I used to use with the other lens, but haven't yet tried it with this lens.

The 10D has been replaced by the 20D and the 300D is about to be replaced by the 350D so be aware that you don't want to pay top price for them if you decide on one of the older models

Hi Lauren,
Have you not thought about the Nikon D70? I brought one about a 2 months ago. I’m using it with my Sigma 50-500 and my new Sigma 500mm F4.5. This is a VERY good camera and I would highly recommend it as I’m sure many other forum members will.

Cheers

Marc Read

www.marrcead-pix.com

Yes, consider the Nikon D70. I was a "Canon" person for years - still have a Canon A1 SLR, but went for the Nikon D70 over the Canon 300D - it was marginally cheaper, and felt much better made. Also, it looks like a "pro" camera (if that matters to you)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back