• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

advice please (1 Viewer)

Jane P

Jane
Given the continued threat of 'Bird Flu' has anyone any advice on handling feeders in the garden?

It occurs to me that the advent of this terrible disease in the wild bird population brings with it some risks to those of us handling feeders on a regular basis.

Jane P said:
Given the continued threat of 'Bird Flu' has anyone any advice on handling feeders in the garden?

It occurs to me that the advent of this terrible disease in the wild bird population brings with it some risks to those of us handling feeders on a regular basis.

I wear rubber surgical gloves when handling any of my birding stuff just to be on the safe side,they're lite and easy to work with, then wash my hands also afterwards.

Lou G

I think the RSPB hads been giving the 'carry on feeding' call, and rightly so. The media hysteria is quite out of step with reality and, even, worst case scenario.
Just do as usual i.e. wash your hands thoroughly after touching the feeders.

cheers
Andy

Andy Bright said:
I think the RSPB hads been giving the 'carry on feeding' call, and rightly so. The media hysteria is quite out of step with reality and, even, worst case scenario.
Just do as usual i.e. wash your hands thoroughly after touching the feeders

cheers
Andy

Hi Andy

I agree, the media has gone mad, but then they always do! To put this bird flu (epidemic) into perspective there have been a worldwide total of 90 deaths so far, (according to reports), there are probably more people killed worlwide by ordinary flu than this every day. I know that any death is to be prevented where possible, but as usual it's been blown up out of all proportion. Remember the foot and mouth fiasco, where inumerable cattle, sheep etc, were slaughtered needlessly. Many farmers were ruined, others made a fortune out of it. I truly hope we don't find bird flu in the UK, if we do it's woe betide our wild birds, there'll be unecessary wholsale slaughter.

nirofo.

Lou G said:
I wear rubber surgical gloves when handling any of my birding stuff just to be on the safe side,they're lite and easy to work with, then wash my hands also afterwards.

Lou G

Be sure not to take the gloves off by holding the end of one finger in your teeth! ;)

I always wear rubber gloves anyway to protect my nails and wont do anything different.

My thoughts are with the birds at the moment and how many of those will die.
Thousands and thousands and thousands........... and yet, so few human deaths have been caused through Bird Flu.It is the birds who are suffering here.

Having had some kind of flu for the past few weeks , feeling grotty,and having to go to work as I am self employed,no way will I stop, or alter my ways in feeding the birds.

I just wish people would stop thinking of themselves and think more of the harm done to our birds,or does that not really matter.

Mary Evelyn said:
I just wish people would stop thinking of themselves and think more of the harm done to our birds,or does that not really matter.

Maybe I'm just hard faced and selfish, but IF it came to a straight choice I'd let any number of birds die before I'd let my children die.

The reason I asked the question is because the pathogen in 'bird flu' is (I am advised) an air borne one.

I will continue to feed the birds no matter what, but for their sake and mine (I have a low immune system following chemotherapy for cancer) I am trying to be pragmatic and look at ways of minimizing risk if this threat becomes more serious.

It has already been muted by some medical experts that mutations, possibly more easily enabling a mutation to ocurr that would facilitate passing from human to human, are more likely to arise now in Africa with the prevelance of the aids virus there.

I have been feeding, therefore, (and the birds ;) |:d| ) on the ground and by hanging suet cakes etc, but not using feeders that need re-filling / more handling. Just wondered what others are doing, not trying to start mass hysteria as I'm too new on here to 'rock the boat' just yet!

showaddy said:
Maybe I'm just hard faced and selfish, but IF it came to a straight choice I'd let any number of birds die before I'd let my children die.

I am sure you would but when you consider how many people throughout the world have died from this flu and how many die from the common flu,etc etc etc,this all seems over the top to me.
I feel that worrying about bird flu attacking our children,is forgetting that common flu kills so many and is a much bigger threat, as are many other ailments.

As I have said before, the only losers are the birds.

I simply can not understand the panic that has set in to some people when so few deaths have occurred.

I feel that people should be looking out in the hope of protecting the birds through strict hygiene when feeding, as normal.

Jane P said:
The reason I asked the question is because the pathogen in 'bird flu' is (I am advised) an air borne one.

I will continue to feed the birds no matter what, but for their sake and mine (I have a low immune system following chemotherapy for cancer) I am trying to be pragmatic and look at ways of minimizing risk if this threat becomes more serious.

It has already been muted by some medical experts that mutations, possibly more easily enabling a mutation to ocurr that would facilitate passing from human to human, are more likely to arise now in Africa with the prevelance of the aids virus there.

I have been feeding, therefore, (and the birds ;) |:d| ) on the ground and by hanging suet cakes etc, but not using feeders that need re-filling / more handling. Just wondered what others are doing, not trying to start mass hysteria as I'm too new on here to 'rock the boat' just yet!

I am sorry to hear about your illness and my friend has just been cleared of cancer (fingers crossed).I can understand your concern but Bird flu is more likely to attack children and those with a high immune system, so I have read.
I am feeding the birds as normal, being hygienic as usual, in the hope of keeping salmonella at bay, which can spread from bird to bird.
I wish you well and hope that you can continue to feed the birds without too much worry yet gain a lot of pleasure,as I am sure you have done in the past.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back