• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Birds of High Andes (1 Viewer)

cuckooroller said:
SR,
Not unless you're kissed by fate! I probably shouldn't do this since I am enquiring myself about this book, but the best deal if they still have them in stock is here: http://www.nhbs.com/title.php?tefno=4736

Of course, postage is on top of that but I don't think you have to pay VAT for books coming into US, just shipping.

It is on sale now, apparently. NHBS lists it for just under £50.-, and WildSounds for just under £55, saying "while stocks last". Essentially, these prices are in the order 50% off the original list price. This has always been an exceedingly costly book.

SR,
NHBS has 15 copies of the volume left at that price. I just ordered one. Many times when they put on these types of sales I expect to see them going out of print shortly. That may be the case here.

Birds Of The High Andes

I decided to sell my mint condition copy of the Birds of the High Andes but this has also coincided with the reduction in the retail selling price at some retail outlets. I am open to offers for my copy. I have a number of other books and I would be happy to email the details on request.

Mike

Thanks Cuckooroller and Swissboy. I just ordered a copy. If anyone is interested, final price after shipping to the States was $117.50. And if it is true that this book may soon be out of print, the price for a used copy might sky-rocket...right? So might as well buy now!

SR,
No problem. At 117 a bargain given that it normally costs about 250. Yes, a collector's item, and useful also because there is no Bolivian country guide. I am just guessing that it might be getting ready to go out of print from past experience with other books. In any case, a work such as this is always has value.

My copy arrived this morning.

Last edited:
cuckooroller said:
SR,
No problem. At 117 a bargain given that it normally costs about 250. Yes, a collector's item, and useful also because there is no Bolivian country guide. I am just guessing that it might be getting ready to go out of print from past experience with other books. In any case, a work such as this is always has value.

My copy arrived this morning.

Thanks for the info. My copy arrived this morning. Useful for Bolivia but I believe a guide is in the pipeline but not sure on eta

martinf said:
Thanks for the info. My copy arrived this morning. Useful for Bolivia but I believe a guide is in the pipeline but not sure on eta

Hi Martin,
Yes, so I have heard also. The principle Author is Joe Tobias (neomorphus.com), but I also have no idea on the eta, but it should be a good one when it finally does come out.

swamp_rattler said:
I'll agree with Swissboy...those plates are BEAUTIFUL! I, too, thank you for the link, and certainly hope its publication is very near.

I just emailed the author, and he said, "...the bad news is that a good guide takes years to complete. We have a deadline of 2010 for all plates and text, but it'll be here before you know it."

So it will certainly be a wait, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

By the way, anyone not really convinced of the Clement & Shany Peru Guide, well, sooner or later there will be another Guide authored by Tom Schulenberg for Peru. It will undoubtedly be better, but then that is not a very strenuous task is it...

Swissboy said:
It is on sale now, apparently. NHBS lists it for just under £50.-, and WildSounds for just under £55, saying "while stocks last". Essentially, these prices are in the order 50% off the original list price. This has always been an exceedingly costly book.

As I'm going to the Andes this year, I've sent off for one from the NHBS, at a smidge less than £50, down from over £100 it is, indeed, a real bargain although still expensive.

martinf said:
There's also a new Argentina guide in the pipeline too and looks good

Quite a few SA books in the pipeline, apparently. Well, it's about time! Though I did not fare too badly in Argentina with the books that are already available. I still had a fair number of unidentifiable ones, though. But then, this was my first time there.

My copy of Birds of the High Andes turned up today, a nice book, very heavy (so reference only, it won't be coming across the South Atlantic with me) with some nice paintings by Jon Fjeldsa.

Birds Of Peru - Progress Report

Excerpted from one of my list-servers. Posted by John P. O'Neill and in object is the work originally initiated by Ted Parker and being completed by Tom Schulenberg, and John P. O'Neill among others. I understand the work will be in two volumes, and that here the Field Guide is being talked about. The second volume (Species Accounts, etc.) will follow later.

"The new book still has quite a bit of editorial work
and there are many things that have yet to be done to put it in published
form. Since bird books have a way of getting behind (even though Princeton is
making deadlines and making us meet them), don't expect the book before the
END of 2007 - and then be excited if it appears before then, as well as a bit
disappointed that it is in early 2008!). We want it to be error free, so hang
in here !! - John O and the rest of the book team"

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back