• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (24 Viewers)

Titchwell July 15th

Today's highlights

Marsh tit - 1 on feeders
Ruff - 23 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Arctic skua - 1 offshore
Eider - 20 offshore

Paul

Pacific or American Golden Plover Blakeney Harbour 16th July 2009

Norfolk Pacific or American Golden Plover Blakeney Harbour 16th July 2009

Just in case you had not heard

Robin Chittenden

Last edited:
I will be staying in Wells-next-the-Sea this weekend. Sadly not a birding break but hope to have an evening (and early morning) free to walk nearby. I'd love to see some owls as I don't get a chance often to see them where I live - city centre and all that. Are there any nice walks around this village that are good for owls? Any other gen on wells would also be very much appreciated for any other interesting birds.

Thanks,

Andrew

Wells itself is a great place for Tawny Owl in the evenings.
I have never failed to hear them there and have seen several on strolls to the pub when staying there.
They seem to like the area by the school but i can't think of the road name or the school name...not much help i know.

There is a nice walk from East Quay you can do which can pick you up waders.I think East Quay is signposted in the town.Just walk along past the houses through the boat yard and along the sea wall.You can walk towards Warham Greens on this route......you may well find Barn Owl hunting out here in the evening.

Today's highlights

Marsh tit - 1 on feeders
Ruff - 23 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Arctic skua - 1 offshore
Eider - 20 offshore

Paul

Paul,

I am on holiday next week and am planning a trip to Titchwell. I am interested to know whether the new Island Hide has been completed.

The RSPB site has no recent information.

Regards

Dave

Paul,

I am on holiday next week and am planning a trip to Titchwell. I am interested to know whether the new Island Hide has been completed.

The RSPB site has no recent information.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave

This is a bit of a long running saga but the hide should be finished by early next week. The contractors will be working over the weekend to get it completed.

Hope you have a good visit

Paul

Titchwell Coastal Change Project

I am sure that many of you will be aware that the RSPB are about to embark on an ambitious project at Titchwell to protect the reserve for future generations. Work is due to start shortly so I thought it would be a good time provide an update and some further information. The timescales are tight and while disturbance to the reserve will be inevitable, we will aim to keep this to minimum.

Timescales for the work
The work will take place in the three months between August and October for each of the next three years. We only have a three-month window each autumn to do the work because we cannot undertake any work during the sensitive bird breeding and wintering period.

Aug-October 2009.Our new sea wall will be constructed along the existing Parrinder line and the 30 year old Parrinder hide will be demolished. Most of the material used in the construction will come from the wet grazing meadow to the east of Fen Hide. The reserve will be fully open at all times

Aug-November 2010. The ‘West Bank’ that carries our main footpath to the beach will be repaired and strengthened and improvements to the habitats in the freshwater marsh will take place. Unfortunately, for safety reasons, we cannot avoid shutting the main path while the works take place but the rest of the reserve including the Meadow Trail, Fen Hide and visitor centre will remain open. This could be for up to 8 weeks but we hope to complete these works as quickly as we can. The fantastic replacement for Parrinder hide will be erected in November and we hope to have it open in December.

Aug-October 2011. Minor works will be undertaken including breaching the east bank to allow our brackish marsh to become tidal and the creation of new reedbed habitat where the wet grazing meadow used to be east of the Fen Hide.
The reserve will be open at all times.

Water levels in the fresh marsh have been maintained at a high level recently to allow us to carry out investigations into a WWII minefield across the middle of the lagoon! This work has been partially completed and the water levels are now being dropped.

If you would like to find out further information, check out http://www.rspb.org.uk/supporting/campaigns/titchwell_marsh/index.asp or email us at [email protected].

Paul Eele
Warden, Titchwell and Snettisham reserves

Hi Dave

This is a bit of a long running saga but the hide should be finished by early next week. The contractors will be working over the weekend to get it completed.

Hope you have a good visit

Paul

Thanks Paul.

My visit is likely to be towards the end of next week so I will probably contact you again for an update.

Regards

Dave

Titchwell July 17th

Sorry me again!

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 1 on brackish marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 4 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 6 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 19 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 1 on brackish marsh
Common sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh
Marsh tit - 1 on feeders
Marsh harrier - 10 fledged young on the wing

Paul

American Golden Plover

Dodging the showers I was lucky enough to connect with the "Lesser G.P. on sea pool at Cley this afternoon. I am glad that it now appears to be an American as i thought it looked fairly straight forward for one given the good views, i.e long primary projection showing 4 tips & solid black underparts with no white flanks & just a hint of white on the undertail coverts. There was a moment of doubt when it showed toe projection in flight but this is apparently a variable feature. All in all a cracking bird.

Attachments

• DSC06894.JPG
    DSC06894.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Saturday 18th July

Excellent afternoon's birding;););)

Cley Coastguards - Black Tern going west at 4.20pm, Arctic Skua x 2 at 4.30pm going west.

11 Spoonbills from Dauke's Hide.

Walsey Hills - scrub clearance been going on - don't why all the gorse/vegetation has been taken out on bank to left of hut - doesn't look good and also all buddelias removed apart from one:eek!: - several birds on the feeders inc. great tits, juv. robins etc. A willow warbler along bottom path in bottom scrub.

CORY'S SHEARWATER going west and east at 7.20pm and until approx 7.40pm from Cley Coastguards - rung into RBA twice on the hotline message service, but did not come up on pager. Someone else rang RBA and it then came up at 7.37pm. Picked up by 4 visiting birders on the horizon - thank you:t: Had the message come up straight away, maybe more people would have been able to watch it.

North Hide - Curlew Sandpiper amongst all the usual waders.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

[QUOTE CORY'S SHEARWATER[/B] going west and east at 7.20pm and until approx 7.40pm from Cley Coastguards - rung into RBA twice on the hotline message service, but did not come up on pager. Someone else rang RBA and it then came up at 7.37pm. Had the message come up straight away, maybe more people would have been able to watch it.

Had the same thing happen to me in the morning. Rang the Cory`s in from Sheringham as it was travelling slowly west & message came on 1/2 hour later when someone else rang it in. When it came back east 2 hours later pretty much the same thing happened again. Never had this problem before.

Walsey Hills NOA

After Penny's post yesterday, I equipped myself for the ascent and eventually attained the summit. Clearance had, indeed, been going on.

I spoke to one of the NOA people, who was painting the door to the 'hut'.

Apparently, there is a detailed plan to clear sightlines from the front of the building. This would enable many more passing birds to be seen. Also, to level the area at the top of the steps (with a digger) and make it more visitor friendly. Also, to thin out some of the overgrown shrubbery, creating corridors- both for birds and for people to see them. This is something which has often been difficult here for some years, despite Pete's valiant efforts. Also, to refurbish the pond, making a drip-feed.

This all sounds good news. More power to their elbows.

On the rare occasion when I've got something this good and want news to go out ASAP, I ring the 01603 direct number to get through to one of the guys on the desk so they can get a message out. I don't think this is a problem for the odd significant bit of news.

Had the same thing happen to me in the morning. Rang the Cory`s in from Sheringham as it was travelling slowly west & message came on 1/2 hour later when someone else rang it in. When it came back east 2 hours later pretty much the same thing happened again. Never had this problem before.

Wells harbour this morning at 0645 provided an adult arctic skua worrying the tern colonies and then resting on the sand, shingle for a while whilst a few common scoter flew west.

Brian Egan from RBA kindly contacted me re: my problems with contacting RBA about the Cory's Shearwater on Saturday (I'm sure he won't mind me adding this to Norfolk thread):

'.....We had a technical problem with our hotline and this is why news called into this ended up going on the pagers late.

This is a very rare occurrence and we usually get news left on the hotline on the pagers within minutes.

If you ever call in news to the Hotline and don't see it on the pagers soon please don't hestiate to call the news desk on 01603 456789, especially if it is a rarity or a seabird which could be tracked along the coast....'

Very true, news does normally go on within minutes, sometimes in seconds!

Thank you Brian for informing us there was a problem on Saturday.

I called Pete S. at the time to see if he had a particular's local person's Tel No. as they had missed the Cory's showing around 2pm earlier, but alas he did not!

Last edited:
After Penny's post yesterday, I equipped myself for the ascent and eventually attained the summit. Clearance had, indeed, been going on.

I spoke to one of the NOA people, who was painting the door to the 'hut'.

Apparently, there is a detailed plan to clear sightlines from the front of the building. This would enable many more passing birds to be seen. Also, to level the area at the top of the steps (with a digger) and make it more visitor friendly. Also, to thin out some of the overgrown shrubbery, creating corridors- both for birds and for people to see them. This is something which has often been difficult here for some years, despite Pete's valiant efforts. Also, to refurbish the pond, making a drip-feed.

This all sounds good news. More power to their elbows.

Thank you John for your update:t:

Did you need some Kendal Mint Cake by the time you reached the Summit?;)

2 Peregrine's in Pott Row area, King's Lynn at 9pm.

Several black rabbits in cow field!!!

One very concerned local lady came along and stopped in her car and asked what we were doing, thought we were potential burglars!!!!!!! If we were - would we really have been in the middle of a field for all to see with telescopes, bins and cameras!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Titchwell July 21st

Today's highlights

Ruff - 30 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 7 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Black tailed godwit - 103 on fresh marsh
Marsh tit - 1 on feeders

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread