• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex 9 x 36 Diamondback (1 Viewer)

ceasar

Here is a short review of the Vortex 9 x 36 Diamondback binocular. It is a link from the "Binocular Rambling" thread, and is also posted there.

I've been using the "Orphan Format" 9 x 36 Vortex for over 6 months. I keep it in the car. It's well worth the $200.00 it sells for. It's very rugged; built like the 8 x 42 Diamondback, and like it, it has a wide FOV. (368' at 1000 yards.) It is quite easy to use with it's 4mm exit pupil. It has phase coating and new coatings on the objectives which are supposed to make it brighter. I have the older model 8 x 42 and can see that the new version has an additional purple coating that the older model does not have.

It focuses VERY smoothly, (quite nice in fact!) much like the Nikon LX L but not as fast. In fact, in general design, length, width and weight it is similar to my Nikon 8 x 32 LX L, even to the "off set ears" that hold the strap. It is slightly larger than the 8 x 32 but not all that much bigger. The diopter is commendably stiff and stays where it is set. The twist up eyecups have one indent position but could lock a bit more firmly.

Like it's big brother the 8 x 42, it has a very large amount of pincushion distortion, probably to compensate for it's wide FOV. I am not susceptible to CA but did notice it when I focused on brightly lit vertical and horizontal edges of buildings. I also noticed it on one occasion while looking at Turkey Vultures soaring high up in a bright overcast sky.

The binocular is sharp enough; I tested it on markings, letters and numbers on nearby telephone poles. It has a rather large "sweet spot" of about 65% and tapers off from there into a softer edge as distinguished from an edge with astigmatism. It has adequate Depth of Field as demonstrated by looking into leafless trees just off my deck. Color rendition is unremarkable.

On sunny days it is excellent. On overcast days I wish it was a bit brighter. But with a $200.00 Roof Prism one really can't have everything. It's much the best 9x I've used so far, and I own a 9 x 25 Travelite and a Pentax 9 x 28. There aren't many to chose from.

Cordially,
Bob

Last edited:
Power range: 10x42 v 8x42?

Sorry, these are shopping decisions. I have excluded all Excursions. ;)

Hello Tero,
(you responded to me a few months ago)
I still haven't took the 'plunge' to buy a new pair of bino's! I really believe your the man when it comes to optics...you respond to most questions on the bino's forums i guess..
Tell me one thing: do 8x42's have as good a power range as 10x42's? I don't know why i'm hooked on 10x42's, but i am! I'm looking for range over longer terrain and mountains to catch a fleeting raptor..(sparrowhawk,buzzard) My question is: will i see the bird as clear with the 8x42's? I don't know the logistics and technical details of 'binomics', i just 'wanna know why nobody goes for the 10's....is it 'cause they shake a little. I'v heard from a friend the 10x42 Nikon Monarch ATB's..(old version) are pretty stable at this power..I am really tempted to go for the 10x42 Vortex Diamondback's..or Optcron Countryman BGA's 10x42. Please give me an opinion...anyone else for that matter.
Nick

I have now gone past the 9x36 a couple of times. I have the Bushnells Ultra 10x42, and it seems to do all I wanted to do with the 9x36.
Tell me one thing: do 8x42's have as good a power range as 10x42's?

Not sure what the question is. 10x is bigger of course, but it is only a small jump, from 1x to 8x is a big jump. Good 8x pairs will be bright and will show you color detail to make out what your bird is. I like to look at sparrows in winter at 10x rather than 8x.

With the higher powers (10x versus 8x or 7x) you are trading magnification against FOV and shake.

And I've noticed recently the same thing about color between 7x and 10x (in alpha bins). The color patches may be smaller at 7x but their brighter. I was looking at Yellow-rumped Warblers this with on successive days (same sort of light both times in the same location). The 7x made the color pop more. I can say I've paid a lot of attention to this before.

At lower magnifications the brightness of the image (i.e. the amount of light per unit solid angle) in larger than higher magnifications: that and transmission control the brightness of the image in daylight (not the objective size).

The higher magnifications may improve the speed of identification of patterns and to see details of patterns at the limit of you acuity.

I suspect this explains why people change magnification over birding lifetime: beginners needing the FOV (used to) choose 7x (not it would be wide 8x, I hope).; intermediate birders often move to to 10x and you can see a lot of experienced birders moving back to to lower magnifications (because they now recognize rather than ID birds?). Of course this is more a trend than a rule.

I've found tht when you take shake out of the picture (with the Canon IS bins) I really like the 10x bins. But when looking for birds, especially in wooded areas, I really like a wide 7x or 8x.

But a wide (ish) 9x might be an interesting compromise for some habitats.

Since I have the Pentax 9x28 and always considered that a decent little performer for what it is could you say how much better this bino is than that one with a bit more detail?

Since I have the Pentax 9x28 and always considered that a decent little performer for what it is could you say how much better this bino is than that one with a bit more detail?

Specifically, (and I compared the 2 binoculars early yesterday evening and again this morning, both times in overcast conditions), the Vortex is brighter and shows better contrast. It also has a much wider FOV and a larger field of sharpness therein than the Pentax. It's focal length is longer and so it has better Depth of Field noticeable particularly at closer distances. I compared sharpness last night on letters painted on a telephone pole about 150 yards away and the Vortex was sharper but it may have been due to the approaching twilight condition.

The Pentax performs very well in bright conditions. We took it to Cape May last spring along with my 8 x 32 SE. My wife, who wears glasses likes it very much. I do too and I don't wear glasses. It is versatile and quite handy to have. It fits nicely in a jacket pocket or purse. It weighs about 10 ounces less than the Vortex.

Both binoculars are very well built but the Pentax is a true compact and the Vortex is a medium sized binocular and that, I believe, is where the differences in their respective performances lies.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back