• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 88mm vs 77mm (1 Viewer)

Hi Steve,
No, I tested looking birds and some other details. The resolution test may help to find differences.
I would be surprised if many are visible as Kowa owns, for my point of view, the best techniques to avoid chromatism.
By experience, I have seen much more differences between HD/APO/Fluorite and non ones for Swarovski scopes. (Leica is not too visible), when looking birds.
Can you please indicate a link where I can download the resolution chart?.
Thanks in advance
Yves

Yves,

The resolution charts we have were given to us by Swarovski. I don't remember the link, but you should be able to find it in the discussion on the Kowa TSN-553/554 scopes.

Not all ED glass is the same but the best ED glass is very close or equal to fluorite..The 773 is a slower scope than the 883, so maybe the use of ED glass is the right decission..Swaro,zeiss or leica do not use fluorite in the HD scopes that they make,and their top models compete with kowa's fluorite models in optical excellence..

I own both the 773 and the 883, and also a Swarovski ATX 95 and the 85 module. I previously owned a 2010 Zeiss 85 that I thought might replace my 2002 Swaro AT80 HD, but I did not find it to be as good as my older AT80 and sold it.

IMHO, the Kowa 883 is the best VALUE in a high performance, alpha spotting scope today. It gives up very little, if any, to the ATX 95 in image quality, and is about 30% less expensive.

The Kowa 773 is a fine scope and it gets a lot of use as we are a family of three birders often using the three scopes together side by side. At low power, 20x - 40x, my 773 is a pleasure to use with a very fine image. Above 40x-45x, the 883 and ATX easily surpass it in image quality in both brightness and resolution. Both females prefer the Kowa focuser over the Swarovski focuser.

I've tested all my scopes with the 1951 USAF charts (and others), and the 773 cannot resolve what the 883 can, even if you use an aperture mask on the 883 to give it the same effective aperture. The 773 has more CA, but I rarely notice it and certainly do not find it objectionable although some people are more sensitive to CA than I am.

I enjoy using the 773 and consider it a keeper scope. Unless you outclass it with a very select few alpha scopes such the 883, I think you will find that it is a very fine scope that will serve you very well in real life usage.

Jay

Last edited:
An interesting compromise would be to get hold of a second-hand Kowa 823 (or preferably the reinforced body 823M). I have one and it's a wonderful piece of optics, sharing proper fluorite glass with its larger 883 cousin. Its one drawback, for fans of zoom eyepieces, is that the new wide-angle zoom for the 883/773 does not fit the 823. However, there are wonderful 32x fixed and 50x fixed eyepieces and a decent 20-60x zoom (and eyepieces from the 663 series and earlier TSN-3s can be used with it with the appropriate adaptor). Just a thought as there are some good deals to be had sometimes on these optically brilliant scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back