• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herr Rohde's invalid Antshrike (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
I continue to clean up my desk, so here's a minor addition (a birth year) on the eponym ...

rohdei as in:
• the invalid "Thamnophilus rohdei" BERLEPSCH 1887 (here + Plate, here) [Synonym of Great Antshrike Taraba major VIEILLOT 1816]
= the German (i.e. Prussian) adventurer, explorer, trader and collector (of both various Naturalia and ethnological items) Richard Rohde (1855xxxx) a k a Ricardo Rohde

Born 1855, in Tilsit, East Prussia (today's Sovetsk, Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia ...) ... resident in Agentina and Paraguay during most of the 1880's, mostly knowns as a collector in the latter country, during the mid 1880's. In the late 1880's he seems to have left for New Guinea (where we find him in 1890), and after that ... he vanished! No year, nor date found on his death. And no date regarding his birth.

See (for examples) the following links; here, here and here.

For what it´s worth!

Björn

Here as Richard Otto Rhode (1855–?). The footnote tells us from records until March 1911 before he disappeared.
Yes, but otherwise in the same book, and in the footnote itself it is written: "Rohde", see here.

Note that Anita Hermannstädter (to which she refer, in the footnote on p.68) in her book Deutsche am Amazona (2002) writes his surname: "Rohde", snippet view here.

No need to reconsider the spelling, in my mind; most likely a typo by Beatrix Hoffman.

However; still no trace of his death.

Björn

PS. And, just for the fun of it; here´s a Photo from an Exkursion der Berliner Gesellschaft für Anthropologie, Ethnologie und Urgeschichte 1885, where we also find Richard Rohde (here). However it´s a bit harder to tell who he is ... among the 18 men (only 14 with names) on the Photo!

But judging from (alt. compared with) the picture here (on p.55) I would say he´s the third guy, from the left (standing). See attached JPGs.
--

Attachments

• Richard Rohde 1885.jpg
    Richard Rohde 1885.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Richard Otto Rohde.jpg
    Richard Otto Rohde.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Antshrike sp. Thamnophilus rohdei Berlepsch, 1887 NCR [Alt. Great Antshrike; JS Taraba major] Ricardo Rohde (DNF) was a collector who operated in Paraguay (1885–1886). He later joined the German New Guinea Company (1889). An amphibian and a reptile are named after him.
The Key to Scientific Names
Richard Otto Rohde (1855-?1911) German collector, resident in Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil (syn. Taraba major).

If died in 1911 seems still in question.

Otto Richard Rohde (1855-1912)

Birth Date:
18 Aug 1855
Baptism Date:17 Okt 1855 (17 Oct 1855)
Baptism Place:Militärgemeinde Tilsit, Tilsit, Ostpreussen, Deutschland (Germany)
Father:Franz Alexander Rohde
Mother:Amalie Mathilde Schaefer

Death Date:25 Nov 1912
Civil Registration Office:Berlin XII a

Was only in New Guinea in 1888 and 89. Afterward was in SW Africa but clearly came back to Berlin to die.

P

Attachments

• B318_00016.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 41911_prep811_000129-00265.jpg
    41911_prep811_000129-00265.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back