Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 16th December 2017, 09:59   #1
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Mr. Edward Spalding's birds ... and his death

Here´s a tiny addition on ...

spaldingii/spaldingi as in:
• Chowchilla Orthonyx spaldingii RAMSAY 1868 (here) as "Orthonix [sic] spaldingii" a k a Black-headed/'Northern alt. Spaldings or Spalding's Logrunner
Quote:
REMARKS.—This very distinct and beautiful species is one of several new birds added to our avifauna by the researches of Mr. E. Spalding on the nort-east coast of Australia, ...
[...]
I have named this new species after its discoverer, ...
Same year also published (slightly shorter), here:
Quote:
I beg to propose the specific name of spaldingi for this new species, after its discoverer, who has worked hard in the ornithological line for many years, and added to my collection many valuable and rare birds.
In the Introduction of the same paper (p.381), he´s once again, mentioned as "Mr. E. Spalding, an experienced collector, ..."

• the subspecies (Melloria) Cracticus quoyi spaldingi MASTERS 1878 (here):
Quote:
... , a fine new species of Cracticus, allied to C. quoyi, but having a larger and stronger bill, the description of this species, which has been named after its discoverer Cracticus spaldingi, will be published in the next number of the Society's Proceedings.
Also note p.214 in the same volume, where Spalding is/was commemorated in the Beetle "Carendium Spaldingii" MACLEAY 1878:
Quote:
I have named this handsome species after the very excellent collector who discovered it — Mr. Edward Spalding.
He´s also mentioned on p.219 (snakes) ... and the above promised "next number of the Society's Proceedings" is found on p.271:
Quote:
CRACTICUS SPALDINGI n. sp.
[...]
I have named this species after its discoverer, Mr. Edward Spalding.

In today's HBW Alive Key these eponyms is explained as:
Quote:
spaldingi / spaldingii
Edward Spalding (1836-?1900) Australian taxidermist, collector (subsp. Melloria quoyi, Orthonyx).
Thereby, no doubt that we´re dealing with Edward Spalding (as above), collector and (first) taxidermist at Queensland Museum, in Brisbane (1880-1893) ... and James, I think it´s pretty safe for you to delete the question mark regarding his death! According to a short Death notice, in The Sydney Morning Herald (same daily newspaper that published the Chowchilla OD), from 30 January 1900 (here):
Quote:
Deaths
[...]
SPALDING. —January 19, 1900, at Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, after a short illness Edward Spalding, for many years taxidermist of Brisbane Museum. Queensland papers please copy.
More info on Mr. Spalding, for anyone interested, is to be found here.

However; enjoy!

Björn
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 15:13   #2
Weeden

Hi!! I hope I'm doing this right!
I am the Great Great Grandson of Edward Spalding and I'm looking for any of his work, Queensland Museum is definitely one place I will visit, but if anyone knows of any books that might have a bit about him or the birds he named, that would help.
Thank you in advance
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 15:40   #3
Taphrospilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeden View Post
Hi!! I hope I'm doing this right!
I am the Great Great Grandson of Edward Spalding and I'm looking for any of his work, Queensland Museum is definitely one place I will visit, but if anyone knows of any books that might have a bit about him or the birds he named, that would help.
Thank you in advance

Hubert Massey Whittell: The literature of Australian birds: A history and a bibliography of Australian ornithology p. 679

here extract

I doubt that he published about birds. I feel he was only preparing and collecting specimen but I might be wrong.
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 16:23   #4
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Welcome to Bird Forum "Weeden"!

I don´t think your Great Great Grandfather named any birds himself (not to my knowledge), the birds (and other animals) mentioned in Post #1 was named by others, in honour of him.

More than what I wrote in Post #1 (see bottom of post, last link), the only additional link I´ve got is this one: "Spalding, Edward, Entomologist and Taxidermist" ... here. Not much ... but better than nothing.

Good luck in Queensland!

Björn
-

Last edited by Calalp : Friday 12th January 2018 at 16:30.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: