Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 15:18   #26
Mcnswiss2

Up to the Mirador at Formentor. No sign of alpine accentors yet. 2 Blue Rock Thrushes, Raven, Stonechats, Sardinian Warblers, Robins, and Black Redstarts. 4 Balearic Warblers heard and seen.
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 15:53   #27
hughm

Sorry to be rather late in wishing Mike et al a happy new year. Unfortunately, for the first time in 17 years I will not be coming to Mallorca at Easter- a combination of my wife's chronic illnesses and my sons being to old for a seaside type holiday, I am afraid. However, I shall still be avidly reading the forum to find out what is going on this year. Regards- Hugh Matthews
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 18:15   #28
Mike Montier

Sorry to hear that Hugh. I do hope things improve for you and your wife and that we will see you back here in the future. All the best, Mike

The annual count of wildfowl and waders took place today at Albufera and if the organizers don’t mind me posting the highlights, I will do this in the next couple of days. I do know one Great Bittern was seen, a bird that I and many others have never seen here in Mallorca. I would be very interested to hear if anyone has ever seen one here! Mike
Old Saturday 13th January 2018, 21:31   #29
Mcnswiss2

Thanks Mike and Kevin for a great day out in S’Albufera. Great weather, Great Birds and even Great Company.

Best bird for me was the peregrine with its wader catch.Sorry to miss the Merlin but I did find the Sanderling.

Marble ducks showed well. Two sightings of Little Bittern.

Great memories.

Mike

Thanks again.
Old Sunday 14th January 2018, 10:36   #30
Mike Montier

Thank Mike, it was a great day out. The pies were good too.
I said I would give details of the winter count at Albufera but rather than list them all, I will give a link to the results when they are posted.
Most numerous ducks were Teal and Shoveler.
There were 19 Marbled duck and Little, Black-necked and Great crested grebes.
Just one Glossy Ibis and one Great Bittern.
Cattle, Little and Great egrets.
50 Night Heron and surprisingly, 25 Little Bittern. I thought only a few overwintered but clearly more now stay all year.
Pintail and Wigeon were also present.
I did feel bad that I didn’t join all the volunteers so I will make sure I attend next year. Thanks go to all those who did turn up.
I did attend the bird count at my local patch in Mondrago soon after I arrrived in Mallorca many years ago. I stood in the company of a local woman, staring at the same stretch of water with not a bird in sight for three hours, unable to speak a word of Spanish. It was painful. Hopefully, I will do better next time.
Mike
Old Sunday 14th January 2018, 16:56   #31
Mcnswiss2

Sunday walk in Lluc..the valley aubarca is open on every Sunday. Great walk among the olives, oak trees and Almond trees.
So many Robins and Chaffinches..the Valley rings out to the songs..You would think it's Spring.
Birds seen included Griffin Vultures (7 - 10), distant views of Black Vulture and two Ravens, Two booted eagles and single Red Kite. Song thrushes around as well as usual warblers and goldfinches. Just for you Mike also saw Dunnock..2 good views. Such a common bird.
Old Sunday 14th January 2018, 20:37   #32
honeym

On a slight down side ..................... I got to hear about this yesterday:
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/3.0.1...-the-balearics
Old Sunday 14th January 2018, 21:52   #33
Mike Montier

Yes, a bit depressing Martin. I had no idea things like this went on in Mallorca.
At least they got nicked and will hopefully be dealt with harshly. I sincerely hope so.
Mike
Old Monday 15th January 2018, 13:55   #34
Mcnswiss2

Midday walk up Bocquer Valley.
Nice day and wonderful scenary.
Birds seen included Black Redstarts, Stonechats, Sardinian Warblers, Robins as well as Linnets, Blue Rock Thrushes, Ravens and Balearic Warblers(3). No Booted Eagles seen today.

No sign of Cirl Buntings, Wryneck or Alpine Accentors.
Old Monday 15th January 2018, 16:09   #35
StewB

For the last 3 years I've been purchasing the English downloads of the excellent annual Balearic Bird Report (really good value for the 5 Euro donation per copy). Does anyone know how to submit records to the publication? The report mentions a pro-forma available via the GOB website, but I can't find it there ('though my Spanish is very poor, so there's every chance I've missed it). I have a small number of records (including photographs) that may add to some of the species reports, so it would be nice to submit them.

Stew
Old Monday 15th January 2018, 21:13   #36
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewB View Post
Does anyone know how to submit records to the publication?
Stew
You can send via email, with data, place, specie, number and other data included in the BBR at:

carlesljm@gmail.com

Regards
Old Monday 15th January 2018, 21:56   #37
StewB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep Manchado View Post
You can send via email, with data, place, specie, number and other data included in the BBR at:

carlesljm@gmail.com

Regards
Thanks Josep
Old Monday 15th January 2018, 22:02   #38
kevinh

Yesterday from the hide at Son Real lots of Hawfinches, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chiffchaff, Hoopoe, Song thrush, Great tit, wood pigeon, Blackcap and R.L.partridge. From the beach there, Thekla lark, Meadow pipit, Kentish plover and Sardinian Warbler.
Today I had a nice afternoon walk around Mortix. Sadly no raptors showed but l saw Bramblings among the Chaffinches. Also good numbers of Siskin as well as all the more common finches. Song thrushes ,Robins and Black Redstarts everywhere I looked. Lots of Firecrests near the entrance.
Old Yesterday, 16:21   #39
Mcnswiss2

A late stroll around Alcudia and Maristany.
Pleased to see some 30 pairs of Red Crested Pochards in Maristany..Hopefully they are not hunted this year!
Other birds seen included siskins, grey wagtail, white wagtail, common Sandpipers, Chiffchaffs, Goldfinches, Linnets, Hoopoe, Audouins, Yellow legged and Blackheaded Gulls, Cormorant and shags, Pochards, Little grebes and Crag Martins.
Old Yesterday, 16:52   #40
Mike Montier

The salt pans in the south are very quiet at the moment with no sightings of either the Cranes nor Spoonbill, just three new species for the year. It’s worth going though, just seeing the Flamingoes in flight is one of the best sights on the Island for me, those brilliant scarlet wing panels against a perfect blue sky is mesmerizing.
A Red-breasted merganser has been seen off the coast at Son Real by Maties and a few Lesser black-backed gulls are around.
Mike
Old Yesterday, 18:08   #41
Patrick_m

I have been visiting Tossals Verds three times over the last couple weeks (number 66 on the Mallorca Birding Map) but stayed around the farm rather than climb to the refuge. Pretty much the same sightings every time, today was no different. Lots of Thrushes, Song (dozens), Mistle (dozen or so) and Fieldfare (2 or 3). Some Blue tits (4), Hawfinch (3) and Cirl buntings (2) too. Unfortunately no Bramblings even though Chaffinches are pretty much everywhere. I had hoped one would attract the other as in Mortitx. I guess I will have to go there to connect.
Peregrines and Ravens overhead are common too.
Old Yesterday, 18:37   #42
kevinh

Very quiet at albufera today, although there was a lot disturbance around as roca hide. Looks like a new hide is being erected to the left of the field. The only birds that havenít already been reported here were a couple of male Pintail.
Depedura also quiet. As I arrived there was an Osprey being mobbed by two Lapwings. The Bluethroats appear to have moved on.
At cami des pols I finally caught up with the flock of Waxbills. Also saw 2 Moustached warbler there.
Old Today, 13:23   #43
Mike Montier

A Dotterel was found this morning at Salobrar by Gemma. Despite running around like a lunatic and some help from Pep, I couldn’t find it.
It’s a big place as I discovered and the wind was strong enough to blow the ears off a donkey so I expect it was sheltering somewhere nearby. So were all the other species it seems, I only saw some Avocet, Shelduck, Curlew, Marsh Harrier, super close views of a Booted Eagle with prey and many Flamingoes.
One Dotterel overwintered in the same place last year so I will try again. Mike
Old Today, 16:08   #44
Mcnswiss2

Happy St.Antoni day! Hope you kept warm and that your bins and Scopes have been blessed along with the other animals.

A short walk around La Gola. Birds seen included: Crossbills, Sardinian Warblers, Chiffchaffs, Robins, Little Egret and Common Sandpiper. Good flyovers by Booted Eagle and Cattle Egrets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008E565F-3624-4009-A04A-0A738B2AAF03.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	651550  Click image for larger version

Name:	54C3B981-C4DA-4B33-AEE3-9D6FF84C1E9A.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	651551  
Old Today, 16:57   #45
kevinh

Today at Son Real. 7 Stone curlew and a couple of R.L.partridge on the blue walk path. From the hide Hawfinch, Blackcap, Willow warbler, Robin, Grest tit and 12 Song thrush lined up drinking together. On the beach there wer 6 Turnstone , Thekla lark, Stonechat, Meadow pipit , Audouins gull and Sardinian warbler.
Old Today, 18:14   #46
Patrick_m

For those of you interested in insects, a new website on the Pollinators of the Balearics has been published. http://polinib.info/. Available in English and covers a good variety of local insects (503 species) and plants (211 species)...
Old Today, 18:34   #47
Mike Montier

Excellent Patrick, many thanks. I know many readers of this thread have a great interest in insects and plants so this is very welcome. Mike
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: