• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first drawing (1 Viewer)

Aracari

Birding in Brazil
This is my very first bird drawing, I just did this on an improvised piece of paper. Have great trouble in doing the wing feathers and the feet. I always heard that drawing fingers and other articulations is the most difficult thing.

When you try to do your own is when you get a real appreciation for the great artists around here....

Any tips or suggestion is appreciated.

Attachments

• _DAC1428.jpg
    _DAC1428.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 141
Well done Aracari - so glad you've decided to dive in and have a go with the rest of us.

This is pretty decent for a first go...love the barring detail on the lower front of the body...the eye is very well done...particularly the eye stripe...feathers are actually quite good - you have the right shape and have defined the wings etc. perfectly - just some detail work to go...

Feet - as others have mentioned are not easy and definitely take some practice...

The best wildlife artists spend a lot of time watching and it's those years of observation that sets them apart. The postures, shape of head, beak, wings, stance, wings etc. are spot on to the way the real bird looks and moves...

Keep at it - an excellent beginning and really great to have another artist join the gang...

Chris gives some good advice here, in particular keep at it, you'vve made an excellent start here. Glad to have you with us in this section of the forum.

I actually think you've made an examplary job with this piece Aracari - the 'hard bits' - the feet and bill, you've done exceptionally well. Keep it up and keep posting - well done.

Two more, this time I tried to color them with water color pencil... didn't really love it. But I think my drawing of the feathers improved a lot this time.

They are a thicket antpitta and a scarlet-breasted fruiteater.

Attachments

• _DAC1470.jpg
    _DAC1470.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 179
  • _DAC1471.jpg
    _DAC1471.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Two more, this time I tried to color them with water color pencil... didn't really love it. But I think my drawing of the feathers improved a lot this time.

They are a thicket antpitta and a scarlet-breasted fruiteater.

they are also very well done. This is great work, the colour is so well handled. The drawings show you have a sharp eye for detail too, as already said the hard bits, like the bill, legs and position of the eyes are spot on.

...great birds chosen too! Must be a fabulous place to go out birding!

You've done an excellent job, and I think you were quite successful with your watercolour pencil (the colours are beautifully bold and bright). My only advice is ... keep going! (And don't forget to post the results for the rest of us to enjoy.)

You've done an excellent job, and I think you were quite successful with your watercolour pencil (the colours are beautifully bold and bright). My only advice is ... keep going! (And don't forget to post the results for the rest of us to enjoy.)

Coming late to this I can only second what Jomo says, with colour pencils it can be difficult to get a depth of colour but you've handled that well. Keep it up!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back