• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE Idaho information needed (1 Viewer)

columbidae

I may have an opportunity to make a working trip to Idaho Falls for a week in late August or early September. Hoping to arrange some bird time during this trip, I would like to ask advice on birding spots close to Idaho Falls (no more than 50 miles preferred). I'm particularly interested in places to see Sandhill Crane and American Bittern.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Dan: A great place for both your target species is Market Lake, which is either a Wildlife Management Area or a National Wildlife Refuge. It's not too far at all from IF, just up I-15 to the Roberts area. I had both those species at that location in early June. We only heard the bittern, however.

Another fantastic area for birding is south of IF, in the Mink Creek Recreation Area, just up the hill from Pocatello (50-65 miles south of IF). Kinney Creek, Cherry Springs, and Justice Park are birding locations within the larger Recreation Area, and they hold lots of good western birds, such as Western Scrub Jay, Long-eared Owl, Virginia's, McGillivray's, and Black-throated Gray Warblers, etc. I got my life Flammulated and Northern Saw-whet Owls in those locations as well.

Feel free to IM me if you'd like more specific information.

Steve in Houston

P.S. If you can get up Wolverine Canyon, near Blackfoot, you can find many of the species mentioned in the Mink Creek area, without the driving distance. Good luck.

Thank you both for the pointers. I found Market Lake on Mapquest, and it looks like it certainly is ideally located, as it really will be important for me to stick close to Idaho Falls. I've also been looking at Camas National Wildlife Refuge, a little further up the road... if anyone's ever birded there, I'd like to hear about your experience.

Camas is a nice place to bird, especially during migration. It has a reputation for drawing eastern migrants, particularly warblers.

The road to Camas, which is more or less the frontage road for I-15, passes through good habitat for Sage Thrasher, Sage Sparrow, Horned Lark, Burrowing Owl, and Ferruginous Hawk.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back