• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Results from colour-ring reading (1 Viewer)

I don't see many colour-ringed Common Gulls (compared to Black-heads and LBBs) so three in the pre-roost at Rutland Water on Friday was remarkable. A Norwegian bird, first seen a month ago, an Estonian bird and one from northern Germany. A Finnish Black-headed too.

Steve

just heard back about the Finnish BHG - it was ringed as an adult in June 1997 so must be at least 19.5 years old.

Steve

I was amazed to see 3000 LBB Gulls on a Leicestershire landfill site on Thursday. One colour ringed bird had been in western France in December so has obviously started its migration back north already. And another, seen by Carl Baggott on Tuesday, was in Madrid in December so that has done the same. Maybe winter is about over.......................

Or not.

Steve

Adult Herring Gull with light red ring with dark red letters H J 2 T

Or perhaps black letters but very faded with age?

Swallow Pond, Northumbs., today

Any takers, please?

Attachments

• Picture 179a.jpg
    Picture 179a.jpg
    742.1 KB · Views: 78
That is a ring used by the North Thames Gull Group who ring at Rainham and Pitsea landfills.

The email address to report it is ntgg_sightings(at)hotmail.co.uk

Steve

Another quick Twite - This time reported & photographed by S Wheyman - appeared nearly 300km away from Yorkshire in Suffolk, 6 days after being ringed!

Had lunch on the Holbeck carpark at Scarborough yesterday and couls not fail to see the big red ring on one of the six Med Gulls hovering around for food.

It is a Polish ring and I will be interested to see how often people bother reporting it.

Steve

How about this,

http://www.crbirding.org/node/1988

species: Great Black-backed Gull
scientific name: Larus marinus
EURING code: 06000

notes: Yellow ring with black four alpha-numeric code (ending letter 'B').

note 1 : birds are ringed near Cambridge (Cambs) or Doncaster (North Notts).

colour-ring type:
Legring : one, coded.
colour-ring colour: Yellow [Y]
colour-ring code: Four alpha-numeric code (4 letters/numbers).
countries where ringed: United Kingdom.
Last letter: B

How about this,

http://www.crbirding.org/node/1988

species: Great Black-backed Gull
scientific name: Larus marinus
EURING code: 06000

notes: Yellow ring with black four alpha-numeric code (ending letter 'B').

note 1 : birds are ringed near Cambridge (Cambs) or Doncaster (North Notts).

colour-ring type:
Legring : one, coded.
colour-ring colour: Yellow [Y]
colour-ring code: Four alpha-numeric code (4 letters/numbers).
countries where ringed: United Kingdom.
Last letter: B
Excellent, thanks! I'll contact them :t:

Don't know why it is, if I try searching through the crbirding site, I get nowhere! Just can't work out how to use it, can't find anywhere I can just enter '5A2B' into a search box.

No problem,

Its hit or miss for me, either I stumble across the ringing scheme I'm looking for instantly or I end up scrolling for days.

It helps when you know the species, I miss identified this as a LBB to begin with...

No problem,

Its hit or miss for me, either I stumble across the ringing scheme I'm looking for instantly or I end up scrolling for days.

It helps when you know the species, I miss identified this as a LBB to begin with...
Aye, it would be useful if they had a search by genus for tricky ones like Larus! I'd been hoping this one might be a Yellow-legged Gull, as it was very small for a GBB, only Herring-sized, which is why I left it as unidentified beyond genus.

Interesting that two of the recent influx of Black Storks into eastern Britain both have white darvic rings that show they came from the same brood in France - F05R at Spurn and F05P at Loch of Strathbeg.

Steve

Same brood, that is incredible.

Michael/NC - that's not so much how CRBirding works. What you'd need to put into the dropdown menus on the Find A Project page would be the common name (start typing then choose one), the marking type (in this case single coded colour ring, choose from menu), the ring colour (yellow, choose from menu) and the format (in this case 4 alphanumeric because it's four numbers and letters mixed). I think you can choose code colour too. You then check the matches and see what best fits what you found. In your case I see a project listed where the code ends in 'B', and this is the one mentioned above. Time consuming in a very small way but CRBirding do not have a comprehensive database of all code iterations, and if they did they'd need all the corresponding colours and positions. Not doable.

Where did you see this GBBG? Great to see the Swallow Pond herring gull further up! Remember when we got the Coot and Mallard metal rings there?

Last edited:
Michael/NC - that's not so much how CRBirding works. What you'd need to put into the dropdown menus on the Find A Project page would be the common name (start typing then choose one), ....
Trouble is, this is where it breaks down straight away, there needs to be an entry in the menu of 'Unidentified Larus' (and similar for other tricky groups); I'm not brilliant on young gulls, and wasn't sure what this one was (as mentioned above, it was distinctly small for a GBB), and many others may find them even trickier. Same applied to PKCS last year - I didn't know it was a Caspian when I read the ring number (at ~300m range!).
Where did you see this GBBG? Great to see the Swallow Pond herring gull further up! Remember when we got the Coot and Mallard metal rings there?
At Amble Harbour, together with PKCS (who is now a full adult). With it being the same type of yellow ring, I'd been thinking it was perhaps from the same ringing group, and thus potentially perhaps another Caspian, or perhaps a Yellow-legged.

No reply yet on 5A2B from the scheme organiser, anyone know if this scheme is still operative?

Last edited:
Got a return on 5A2B, ringed (as Herring Gull!) at York, 20 March 2015; also seen at Amble on several other dates from 6 May onward.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back