• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Case for Nikon ED78? (1 Viewer)

amh2029

Hi,
Is it really the case (!) that there's no case for this scope? I've just bought one and was told that they aren't available. How can this be?
Andrew

Well, to be fair to Nikon, the ED78 is now a discontinued model - hence the crazily low price. But... help is at hand - your luck's in! The excellent Opticron Imagic 80 case fits the scope, and these are easily available from In focus, for example. In fact, Bill Lord posted to BF on this a short time back and included in his post some good advice along with a super review of this scope. My son has the ED82 and it is such a good scope - especially with the outstanding 30xW eyepiece which is nothing less than a treat to use. Here's the link to Bill's post:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=19608&highlight=case+nikon+ED78

Last edited:
scampo said:
Well, to be fair to Nikon, the ED78 is now a discontinued model - hence the crazily low price. But... help is at hand - your luck's in! The excellent Opticron Imagic 80 case fits the scope, and these are easily available from In focus, for example. In fact, Bill Lord posted to BF on this a short time back and included in his post some good advice along with a super review of this scope. My son has the ED82 and it is such a good scope - especially with the outstanding 30xW eyepiece which is nothing less than a treat to use. Here's the link to Bill's post:

Having had the case for a few weeks now it does it's job really well, in that it protects the scope superbly, mind you it makes focusing the scope more of a chore because it is not so easy to get my hand on the wheel in two places, it also makes turning the scope through 90 degrees for my wife to view through not as easy. But on balance the case is worth it since it adds to the water protection and the padding protects it, whilst still allowing the scope to be used quite easily. It's much better than using the carry case and having to keep removing the case and lens caps before you use the scope.

Last edited:
bill lord said:
Having had the case for a few weeks now it does it's job really well, in that it protects the scope superbly, mind you it makes focusing the scope more of a chore because it is not so easy to get my hand on the wheel in two places, it also makes turning the scope through 90 degrees for my wife to view through not as easy. But on balance the case is worth it since it adds to the water protection and the padding protects it, whilst still allowing the scope to be used quite easily. It's much better than using the carry case and having to keep removing the case and lens caps before you use the scope.

:clap:
Bravo, an excellent tip. Have just received my case and it does fit very well. Many thanks Bill!
Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back