• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruffed Grouse? Eastern Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

Gordon W

Saw this bird today. Don't recall ever seeing one before. My guess would be a ruffed grouse. Could someone confirm or correct this?

Attachments

• Bird On The Ground_26753.jpg
    Bird On The Ground_26753.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 94
Ruffled-Grouse, Gordon. Gray morph. Very nice pic. Can just see dark flank streaking. Also dark subteminal tailband. Happen to hear Harley-Davidson in vicinity, could be bird "drumming".

did it crouch beneath your feet? 3:)

Almost, actually. It showed no fear, just caution, keeping a wary eye on me as it came within about 2 metres (6 or 7 feet) of me before it started moving leisurely away into the bush. Most unusual behavior for a wild bird.

Boy this brings back memories. ;)

I can remember as kids, my brother and I would be walking through the woods of upstate New York and these fellows would fly out right in front of us and startle us each and every time.

A beautiful shot of this Grouse.

Awesome photo, never saw this species so close.

Thank you, neither had I. Like KC, I'd only seen these as they flew across the path in front of me, too fast to photograph them. Although seen in the wild, this one acted like it was used to being around people. Maybe the nest it grew up in was in someone's yard.

It's something of a crop, but here's a closeup of its head...

Attachments

• Ruffed Grouse Closeup_26751BF.jpg
    Ruffed Grouse Closeup_26751BF.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 43
I also have memories of them like KC does.

I saw them this close a number of times in my youth in the Pocono region of NE PA. They would roost in the Sassafras trees behind our house. There were population outbreaks of them at that time. I remember one time walking in the Scrub Oak woods and having one take off from a branch about 5 feet away from my head! At that time I often saw Northern Goshawks in the winter. They preyed on the grouse. Not so anymore. Although grouse are still around in lesser numbers.

It is a fine picture. If I am not mistaken (and I could be) I believe that you can tell the sex of the grouse by the 2 center feathers in it's tail. I think the male has longer white tips on those feathers.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back