• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garmins GPSMap 64s vs 60Csx (1 Viewer)

Saxatilis

Hello
since 2009 I am owner of a trusty Garmin GPSmap 60Csx.
A couple of years ago after intensively using it for perimetering the boundaries of a protected bird area I noticed a bit of difficult in finding and keeping the signal under the broadleaved woods.
I wonder if the newer GPSMap 64 series has been so improved that can I evaluate to change it sooner or later.
Has anyone experienced this new or compared both devices from garmin?
Thank you
Luca

I have been using the 64s in the forests of Finland for two bird counting seasons now (summers 2014 and 2015) with good results. Before that I was using Colorado 300. It seems that the 64s gives a bit more accurate and stable coordinates due to its dual satellites (GPS + GLONASS), especially in the northern latitudes. However, it might be wise to delay updating until 2019 when the European satellites system (with their unprecedented 1m accuracy for ordinary users) should be fully functional.

Heikki

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back