• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reichenowia (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Somehow I disagree on parts of todays entry about Reichenowia:

(syn. Erythrura Ϯ Tawny-breasted Parrotfinch E. hyperythra) Prof. Anton Reichenow (1847-1941) German ornithologist. Replacing the preoccupied Chlorura Reichenbach, 1863, this may have been an error for Reichenbachia that, once published (1904), was impossible to amend without giving offence.

Franz Poche (1879–1945) clearly attributed this genus to A. Reichenow as he wrote in his OD:

...und erlaube mir, die betreffende Gattung nach Herrn Professor A. Reichenow, dem ausgezeichneten Kenner der äthiopischen Vögel, Reichenowia, nom. nov., zu nennen.

... and take the pleasure, to name the genus Reichenowia, nom. nov. for Mr. Professor A. Reichenow, the well known expert of Ethiopian birds.

Sounds not like an accidental error by Poche. He was also aware who wrote the OD of the Tawny-breasted Parrotfinch. Or did I misunderstand the intention of the key entry?

I assume the phrase; "... , dem ausgezeichneten Kenner der äthiopischen Vögel", by Franz Poche (1904), is a reference to Anton Reichenow's Die Vögel Deutsch-Ost-Afrikas (1894) or/and possibly also Die Vögel Afrikas (1900-1905). To my knowledge (Heinrich Gottlieb) Ludwig Reichenbach wasn´t focused on East African/Etiopian birds in any major way.

Björn

PS. In any case; error or not, intentional or not, wouldn´t such an intention (if ever considered by Poche?) have been preoccupied by the generic name Reichenbachia LEACH 1826, here (beetles in Coleoptera) a k a "Reichenbachius" CASEY 1906 ... ? I doubt that the multifaceted Franz Poche (zoologist, botanist, mycologist, nomenclaturist, etc.) wasn´t aware of its existens.
--

Last edited:
Good question and leads me to one additional question what is the Erythura viridis Swainson 1837 used for the new genus which had priority over Reichenowia. According to here it is a synonym of Erythrura prasina (even is I do not understand how they came to Fringilla sphecura Temminck and think it is more clear here).

One other question: Is Collocalia reichenowi OD not a synonym to Aerodramus spodiopygius reichenowi or why does it appear twice in the key?

Last edited:
Addition with some question marks as from Wikipedia his full name might be Georg Anton Eugen Reichenow. See here about his son. But I am not sure if the author really checked the entry of the birth of Johann Eduard Reichenow in Berlin. So still some doubts about the substance of the source.

In my MS he´s only "Anton Reichenow (1847–1941)", simply based on various entries in Deutsche Biographie. That´s all he´s called there.

Good luck finding any additional names!

And; keep us updated on any progress.

What is nec Salvadori?
...and not Malacocinchla rufiventris Salvadori 1874 [OD], which Sharpe placed in Turdinus as well. (It's #21 in the genus in the Hand-list: [here].)
Now treated as a ssp of Malacocincla sepiaria (Horsfield 1821).

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification. I still have another question. Aren't Prinia rufifrons rufidorsalis and Schistolais leucopogon reichenowi synonyms? Or which is the synonym to Prinia rufifrons reichenowi and/or Urorhipis rufifrons rufidorsalis?

Thank you for the clarification. I still have another question. Aren't Prinia rufifrons rufidorsalis and Schistolais leucopogon reichenowi synonyms? Or which is the synonym to Prinia rufifrons reichenowi and/or Urorhipis rufifrons rufidorsalis?
Prinia (Urorhipis) rufifrons rufidorsalis and Schistolais leucopogon reichenowi are both currently valid races, of entirely different species classified in different genera; hence if they were synonyms, we would have a problem. ;)

Schistolais leucopogon reichenowi = Burnesia reichenowi Hartlaub 1890 [OD].
Prinia rufifrons and Urorhipis rufifrons are the same thing, under different adopted generic limits (traditionally placed in Urorhipis, but recently molecular data have shown it to be embedded in Prinia; has been placed in Spiloptila and in Apalis in the past as well).
The name that is eluding you, I think, is Spiloptila reichenowi Madarász 1904 [OD]. Sclater 1930 [here] made it a synonym of his Apalis rufifrons smithii (Sharpe 1895). (The type locality is given by Gyula Madarász as 'in Deutsch-Ostafrika, im Lettema-Gebirge'; which Sclater says is the same a 'Settima Mts., Kenya Colony'; which in turn I understand is now Mount Satima, in central Kenya -- if correct, on geographical grounds, it may indeed fit smithi better than rufidorsalis, which is said to be limited to SE Kenya?)

Last edited:
Good question and leads me to one additional question what is the Erythura viridis Swainson 1837 used for the new genus which had priority over Reichenowia. According to here it is a synonym of Erythrura prasina (even is I do not understand how they came to Fringilla sphecura Temminck and think it is more clear here).
The type of Erythrura Swainson 1837 (OS 'Erythura', both in the text and in the index; but emended spelling in prevailing use -- accepted even in H&M4 -- and therefore to be treated as the correct OS) is, by original monotypy, Erythrura viridis Swainson 1837, which is made available through a single reference, in the OD of the genus, to "Pl. col. 96" = Temminck's Planche coloriée #96 [here] (which Temminck himself named Fringilla sphecura in the text [here]; and F. sphaecura in the Tableau méthodique [here]).
(But Loxia prasina Sparrman 1788 [OD] is indeed the oldest name for this taxon.)

(The formulations in your two links are odd, I think. Both allude to a "livr. 96" of Temminck's work, which is clearly a misreading of the reference given by Swainson; Forshaw & Shephard's "Erythrura viridis Temminck 1835" doesn't exist; Beehler & Pratt's citation of Temminck's work in a parenthesis following the "by monotypy" statement is misleading, as it's hard not to read it as meaning that the genus was monotypic in Temminck 1821.)

In my MS he´s only "Anton Reichenow (1847–1941)", simply based on various entries in Deutsche Biographie. That´s all he´s called there.

Good luck finding any additional names!

And; keep us updated on any progress.

So the Wikipedia claim with full name Georg Anton Eugen Reichenow married with Olympia Charlotte Marie née Cabanis is correct. See attachement.

Attachments

• reichenow.pdf
    773 KB · Views: 148
Thanks Laurent, I´m definatelly not used to alte deutsche Schrift, not even the modern version. At first I thought I stared at a Marriage certificate (from 1883!?) ... apparently I wasn´t (but, as I understand it, a Birth record, of Anton Reichenow's Son).

Got a bit worried there. ;)

Yes. ..."welches die Vornamen [Johann Eduard] erhalten habe."

Even if not a bird Plasmodium reichenowi Sluiter, Swellengrebel, and Ihle, 1922 may have been named for him (haven't seen the OD).

Assume OD

SLUITER, C., SWELLENGREBEL, N., and IHLE, J., 1922. De Dierlijke Parasieten van den mensch en van onze huisdieren. Scheltema and Holkema's Boekhandel, Amsterdam, p. 121.

Last edited:
I think you´re correct Martin ...

And the latter species is most definitely not a bird ;) ... the gorilla and chimpanzee malaria parasite Plasmodium reichenowi was (apparently) described in; Sluiter, N. H. Swellengrebel, J. E. H. Ihle. Dierlijke parasieten van den Mensch en onze huisdieren. 3rd. edit. Amsterdam, 1922*, p.121 (OD, unseen, also by me) ... allegedly based on "Disputatio. E. Reichenow (Deutschland)".

That little nasty customer is most likely named after the German protozoologist (Johann) Eduard Reichenow, Son of "our guy", the well-known Anton Reichenow.

However; I still can´t help finding it a bit odd (and somewhat suspicious) that the full name of his father (Anton) hasn´t surfaced until now. He´s one of the most celebrated ornithologist, systematist, of his Era (as well as an acknowledged herpetologist). Strange ... and nowhere to be found on the internet, not even on any of today's Wiki-pages (except in connection to his Son, of course) ... makes me a bit worried.

But I agree, it does look like his full name was Georg Anton Eugen Reichenow ... (and he´s present, omnipresent, in my MS, for sure), commemorated in several birds.

Anyone of a different opinion; don´t hesitate to prove otherwise!

Or; time to dig up some kind of official document/record of Anton's birth (or baptism/christening)? He´s allegedly born on the 1st of August, 1847, in Charlottenburg, outside Berlin (today incorporated in "Greater Berlin") ... anyone keen? Who does know German ...

Björn

Last edited:
Or; time to dig up some kind of official document/record of Anton's birth (or baptism/christening)? He´s allegedly born on the 1st of August, 1847, in Charlottenburg, outside Berlin (today incorporated in "Greater Berlin") ... anyone keen? Who does know German ...
It won't be me, as I have no idea where to search for this type of things in German. ;)
But Martin's document is the only official source that we have currently, and I'm not sure on which account it might be dismissed. (Except by claiming it is a complete fake.)

(It's in any case entirely unquestionable that the document about him -- it's his name (even if with two additional given names -- "Georg Anton Eugen Reichenow"), his position ("doctor philosophiae und Custos am Zoologischen Museum"), his address ("zu Berlin in der Großbeerenstraße N° 52", compare e.g. [here]), his wife ("Olympia Charlotte Marie Reichenow, geborenen Cabanis, seiner Ehefrau"), his son ("Johann Eduard", born "zu Berlin in seiner Wohnung am siebenten Juli des Jahres tausend acht hundert achtzig und drei"), and his signature (compare to [this]).)

...It's in any case entirely unquestionable that the document about him ...
I definitely agree, nothing points in any other direction! I didn't intend to question the document itself. I'm just puzzled that his full name has been missed/forgotten, by so many, for this many years ... and thereby suggested it ought to be verified/double-checked (to be on the truly safe side). However, if signed, in person, by Anton himself (I missed that part, his Signature), there might not be a need for that ... ;)

Either way, Martin; well spotted and well noted!

The Credit is yours! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back