• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ring band/ring clarification (1 Viewer)

Buddy6maris2

Hi all,I recently found a bird ring whilst metal detecting and was hoping someone could shed some light on the possible bird or where I could find the details.ive looked online but it's all new to me and coming here was hoping I could get some info,he rings is a solid blue metal with : 411 AP 17 (on its side)16.I also have another what appears to be a band which has : D306D 34 (on its side) above the second D there is a crown and somebody said it's possible a swan band.??Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20171210_001226.jpg
    IMG_20171210_001226.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20171210_001248.jpg
    IMG_20171210_001248.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 50
The narrow blue metal one isn't a wild bird ring; probably from a racing pigeon.

The other is so corroded it might not be traceable; there should be a return address on it in smaller lettering, but that has probably worn off.

PS welcome to birdforum!

The metal piece is a bit unusual for a bird ring: the characters are embossed instead of engraved (has anyone seen a ring like that?), its width seems to be irregular and there's a strange symbol (recalling a crown) right in the middle; my guess is that it might not be a (wild bird) ring at all.

Thanks guys,I'll look into pigeon rings today.The metal strip my not be a bird band,it was just an enquiry still scratching my head to what it may be

The crown and swan do fit together in that many swans in the UK "belong" to the Crown. I wondered if that one could be a very old hand made ring. What are it's dimensions ? Where did you find it ?

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back