• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

singing wren in december (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
earlier today I was walking across Coryton roundabout on the outskirts of Cardiff, when I saw and heard a wren in full song, which struck me as rather odd
isn’t it a little early for wrens to sing? as far as i’m aware only robins sing throughout the year - or is this bird mistakenly under the impression that spring has arrived now that we’re experiencing a mild spell after a cold start to December?

I've heard a couple briefly singing around the London suburbs over the last week. Today while doing some gardening there was a Dunnock singing in the garden as well as Robin.

Song Thrushes been going for a while here too.

Factors include light levels - especially with artificial lighting - affecting hormone levels, as well as temperature/weather on the day.

I was under the impression Wrens tend to sing more or less year-round, a bit like Robins, perhaps due to their potentially high population densities?
(As an aside, i paid particular attention to the singing Robins this year as i was in the field every day working, and wondered when they would have a break in singing while moulting - in mid Wales it was a couple of weeks at the end of July - beginning of Aug.
Lovely to hear a Blackbird 2 days ago at dusk in N Wales.

Edit - fascinating info about one of the German names for Wren, wonder if other languages have similar?..

Last edited:
It's been my experience that most wren species sing year-round (particularly the non-migratory species), though at much reduced frequency outside of spring. I've been hearing Carolina Wrens sing occasionally this month, though none of the wintering visitors have begun singing.

The one in the rosemary outside my lounge window hasn't been told it shouldn't be singing, or its just ignored the instructions.
Ditto robin, blackbird, mistle thrush and possibly a charging, but it was windy and not too clear.
Harry

I had a Corn Bunting singing yesterday (28/12) on the downs near Salisbury, Wilts, have had them singing here in early November before now, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back