• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Magnificent emperor localities - Republic of Cyprus (1 Viewer)

Pheeel

Hi all,

I'm based north of Paphos, Cyprus, for the next few months and am keen to track down the local odonate specialities. I've already found sites locally for both odalisque and eastern spectre, but am coming up blank with respect to magnificent emperor.

Does anyone know of a reliable site for this species?

Many thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil

I saw several Magnificent Emperors on the stream running through the Avakas Gorge in May or June 2006. Can't tell you if it's a reliable site, but it's well worth a visit anyway, especially as you're based nearby - it's a nice walk and will probably provide you with other odonata too (can't remember which other species I saw off-hand).

All the best
Andy Symes

Hi Andy,

Cheers for the gen; you were spot on. I finally managed to have a few hours in the gorge yesterday morning and had at least four male magnificent emperor, including one guarding an ovipositing female. Fantastic creatures. It was surprisingly quiet for Odonata otherwise, with abundant epaulet skimmer, a handful of southern skimmer, and single common darter and banded demoiselle.

Cheers,

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back