• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Ultra and Zen Ray ZRS Comparison? (1 Viewer)

I ordered both the ED2 and the ZRS. I had a hard time deciding which one to keep. I wanted to keep both of them. Much of the difference is less DOF with the ZRS. Other than that, I could see no difference.

Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x42

I ordered both the ED2 and the ZRS. I had a hard time deciding which one to keep. I wanted to keep both of them. Much of the difference is less DOF with the ZRS. Other than that, I could see no difference.

Have you checked out the Bushnell Legend Ultra 10x42? Any thoughts/suggestions. The Legend Ultra has a larger FOV and its appearance looks better to me.

Thanks,
Richard

Ultra ~HD

Have you checked out the Bushnell Legend Ultra 10x42? Any thoughts/suggestions. The Legend Ultra has a larger FOV and its appearance looks better to me.

Thanks,
Richard

Hi Richard

I am interested too in a comparison between the HD and the ZR. I have the HD and I simply love it. It's getting now that I like the colour saturation of the HD more than my -by comparison bleaker view - Swaro el. If the Swaro only had just some of the colour of these HD's.

I let a birder try the HD's the other day and he said he didn't want to give them back and was going straight to buy pair. Honestly he was blown away and the bins he already had were not bad when I tried them.

When I look through these HD's I find myself looking at just simple things and thinking that light is beautiful, I wish I could have a camera lens that would take pictures like that.

Can get this effect with the swaro too but its different. I'm so happy with the HD I honestly don't think I need the swaro's but I wil keep them anyhow.

Mine are 2 different bins and both show their best when used in isolation as it needs some eye/brain adjust to settle in but I cannot think it is not a superb buy to go for a pair of these Bushnell Ultra HD.

Then again, is it possile that the ZR ED2 is even better? Think it is a larger bin to the HD and also open bridge. The HD is light and compact which are aspects I really appreciate.

Bushnell Legend Ultra and Zen Ray ZRS 10x40

Hi Clive,

Thank you for your positive review/comments for the Bushnell Legend Ultra.

It appears the ZR-ED2 (10x43) is larger than the ZR-ZRS (10x42) and the Ultra HD.

The question that remains for me is how the Ultra HD matches up with the ZRS. The specs that I am able to retrieve show:

The cost difference (after a $50 rebate from Bushnell) is $250 for the Ultra; $215 for the ZRS;
the weight is slightly less (0.7 oz) for the Ultra;
the fov is larger on the Ultra (340 ft/1000years compared to 315ft/1000);
close focusing distance is about the same (2 m);
eye relief is the same (15.2mm)

Richard

Hi Richard

I am interested too in a comparison between the HD and the ZR. I have the HD and I simply love it. It's getting now that I like the colour saturation of the HD more than my -by comparison bleaker view - Swaro el. If the Swaro only had just some of the colour of these HD's.

I let a birder try the HD's the other day and he said he didn't want to give them back and was going straight to buy pair. Honestly he was blown away and the bins he already had were not bad when I tried them.

When I look through these HD's I find myself looking at just simple things and thinking that light is beautiful, I wish I could have a camera lens that would take pictures like that.

Can get this effect with the swaro too but its different. I'm so happy with the HD I honestly don't think I need the swaro's but I wil keep them anyhow.

Mine are 2 different bins and both show their best when used in isolation as it needs some eye/brain adjust to settle in but I cannot think it is not a superb buy to go for a pair of these Bushnell Ultra HD.

Then again, is it possile that the ZR ED2 is even better? Think it is a larger bin to the HD and also open bridge. The HD is light and compact which are aspects I really appreciate.

The question that remains for me is how the Ultra HD matches up with the ZRS. The specs that I am able to retrieve show:

The cost difference (after a $50 rebate from Bushnell) is $250 for the Ultra; $215 for the ZRS;
the weight is slightly less (0.7 oz) for the Ultra;
the fov is larger on the Ultra (340 ft/1000years compared to 315ft/1000);
close focusing distance is about the same (2 m);
eye relief is the same (15.2mm)

Richard

And you left out the most important features, the Ultra HD uses premium ED glass in the objectives for minimal CA and better color saturation vs. common crown/flint in the ZRS. The Ultra HD also has Rainguard coatings vs. none for the ZRS. Oh, and there is the semi-hard case and bino harness that come as freebies with the Bushnell Ultra HD too. There are other differences too that do not easily become apparent from the similar specs and appearance until you see/use the binoculars themselves.

Moreover the Bushnell Ultra HD has a LIFETIME WARRANTY plus a current "no questions asked money-back if not satisfied" policy from a global brand company with a 50+ year history in manufacturing and patented technology in sports optics vs. a 1 man reseller of low-cost Chinese imports being run out of a house with a track record under 5yrs.

Not even a close call if you ask me!

Rick

Last edited:
The Ultras feel very light weight in hand. Totally different feel from the Chinese ED set with the open frame. The eye cups are such that they come out very little in the Ultras.

Mine are Promaster, not a one man operation. A cheap tripod and camera bag outfit.

Thanks,
Richard

I have decided that I desired 8x4x open bridge with dielectric prism coating.

I'm not sure you know but the Bushnell bins are re-branded Chinese bins as well.

birdazzLED;1884185) said:
I'm not sure you know but the Bushnell bins are re-branded Chinese bins as well.

I think there is distinct difference from ZR's and other reseller's business models. As with Nikon, Pentax, Fujinon, and some Euro-brands that have products made in China, they are certainly Bushnell designed and manufactured to their specification. If anything, you should say the resellers are rebranding, copying, cloning, or insidiously stealing the designs/technology developed by foreign companies.

It's if the manufacturing facilities are 100% owned/operated by Bushnell or not that can be debatable. I think relevant Chinese law requires joint Chinese partnership as well as technology transfer (hence the government sanctioned copying, cloning, and stealing of product designs) with any manufacturing facility set up by foreign companies.

My only concern is optical quality and price. The Zen Ray ED2 and ZRS are great performers at their price range and well beyond.

Forgetting all the irrelevant nontechnical stuff, both are excellent pairs for the price. I would have loved both as a beginner birder. At 10x, both are good. At 8x, I think ZR might take the edge, no issues with eye placement etc.

Forgetting all the irrelevant nontechnical stuff, both are excellent pairs for the price. I would have loved both as a beginner birder. At 10x, both are good. At 8x, I think ZR might take the edge, no issues with eye placement etc.

Tero:

I picked up on your referring to the "irrelevant" nontechnical stuff, that would
include warranty, etc.

I agree with Rick, from above, the "stuff" like this would be warranty, etc. and these things are very relevant to having a long look in a purchase.

Have you ever sent anything back for warranty? Do you find value in dealing with a company that may be here down the road? I know I do, and so do
many others.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back