• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Decisions, decisions (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum so hope I have started this thread properly.

I am looking to buy a new pair of binoculars and I have a budget of £400 (at the most) I was wondering if anyone can recommend a few models for me to have a look at. I have gone through about two years worth of Bird Watching magazines and noted a couple of models.

Hawke Frontier ED 8x43
Avian F Magnesium 8x42

The other option I have is the RSPB HD 8x42 binoculars, which I could get for spot on £400, by calling in a favour.

Any other decent binoculars can be suggested, the only limiting factor is my budget. I am hoping to visit the nearest optics shop shortly and will give any models suggested a test run, if they have them in.

Scholesy

Hi Scholesy, welcome to BF!
Binoculars are getting to be much more affordable, mostly because the tools to make precision lenses and coatings are now widespread. So your 400 quid will buy optics that might have cost double a few years earlier.
This forum has previously mentioned the Hawke and RSPB models favorably. I've not seen feedback on the Avian.
However, individual preferences and individual variations among several of the same model glasses really suggest that you should look at them yourself and select the one that best pleases you.

That said, there are superior values imo among porro glasses, notably the Leupold Yosemite or the Nikon Action Extreme.
Both are waterproof and optically excellent, at half your budget or less (under $150 here in the US on Amazon). They would serve well while you spend the time to evaluate what the other options are and be a backup if ever you splash out for more fancy gear.

Scholesy

Of the ones you have mentioned I would get the RSPB's. I tried a pair earlier this year and they were luverlee. Wide sharp sweet spot, very bright, lightweight, well balanced and very well made. I have heard good things about the Hawkes, but have not tried them. Another pair I will throw in the ring are the Nikon 8x30 EII porros, a bit of a curved ball I know, but they can be had in your price range and will give you the best view below £1800, believe me they are that good. I would say. however, whatever you choose; try before you buy. Good luck and have fun searching.

Paul

By a bit of coincedence I went to Buxton today, so I called in Birdnet Optics while I was there. The bloke was very helpful and I tried a few different models in my price range. My main concern was sharpness of the image, including halos and the like, as well as contrast and brightness. On that note I decided the Hawke frontier ED 8x43 were the best I had seen. Although it is worth mentioning they didn't have the RSPB ones there, but with the Hawkes coming in £100 under budget as well it kind of mind my mind up.

Very happy with them so far. Might venture out if the weather holds to give them a proper test run, testing them in the shop looking at buildings and cars isn't quite the same.

Thanks for the replies.

Scholesy

Hello and welcome to BF

Always check out the second hand market, you never know what you might drop on.
Have you tried the Nikon 8x32 SE ?...

You won't be disappointed with the Hawke 8x43ED. It's probably the best performance for the price, attractive and seems well made. Compared with my Zeiss and Nikon, the Hawke gave a good account of itself. Enjoy!

Used these for the last couple of days now and I am really happy with them. The close focus is amazing, brilliant for all kinds of insects. If I was just a tad taller they would be able to focus on my feet while standing, can't imagine you'd get close enough to most things to need a close focus shorter than that. The image is very bright and really sharp.

The only things I don't like about them are trivial. The strap is incredibly long, but it is very comfortable around the neck. The caps don't stay on properly, although once I get to a site I take them off and leave them off (usually in the case in the car) so it doesn't really affect me. The focus wheel is the opposite way to my old pair of bins, again just a personal thing, plus I am sure I'll get used to them shortly. They struggle to go back in the case with the strap attached, they do fit, it is just a bit tight. All of them things don't really take away from the binoculars though and as I said are really just trivial things I would suggest might be need to be improved on newer models, well apart from the way the focus wheel goes.

All in all money well spent I think.

Happy birding

Scholesy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back