• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BV 8x40 BR eyecups ! (1 Viewer)

Giorgio

Porro bins are a bit like war, they are made by yo
Hellow

I just want to warn that i had a quick issue with my recent Minox BV 8x40 BR.
After only two weeks of normal use, the left eye cup didnt set to a position anymore, and was going up and down uncontrollably. Very annoying.
This BV model (the cheapest one from Minox?)eyecups are interiorly composed with some tiny rubber parts that slow the turning moves of the eyepices.
When the left eyepiece became weird, there was these tiny black rubber parts (must be like 1-2millimeters large and 3-4 millimeters long) that came out from the eyecups.
And yesterday, its the right eye cup that became weird, loosing the rubber tiny parts! When i twisted up the eye cup , 2 rubber parts came out of the eye cups, and it was going uncessently up or down, it doesnt keep in place anymore.
Very weird.
This is my shout against chinese made up stuff. Optics are good, mecanics are bad and weak.
If someone else had issues with this BV model eye cups or another model, how did you manage to resolve this? And if you used warranty and had it repaired, did it broke again few time after fix?

Regards

Quality control is always a big concern when one is considering purchasing binoculars made in China. The problem is that it often takes too long for information like this to work it's way down to prospective buyers. It ends up giving the entire Chinese binocular industry a black eye.

Maybe there could be a forum devoted solely to problems of this nature? Just a thought.

Bob

You're right there's certainly forums to complain about some problems like this.
However, i really don't feel like using the warranty (makes me the perfect customer for chinabins ;)), i'm a handyman, and i did put some stuff to fix the eye cups by preventing them to move up/down too frequently.

I did put two little black scrunchies taken from gf, and put them around the metal body that is surrounded by the eye cups. Works pretty well, maybe better than the original making lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back