• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on final choice of a DSLR camera needed. (1 Viewer)

senatore

Thanks to lots of advice I received on another thread for a starter DSLR camera that could be also used for birding I have narrowed my choice (I think) down to:-

Camera : Nikon D50 or Canon 350D (bodies only)

Lenses : Tamron 28 - 300 or Sigma 28 - 300

Prices at W/H express are approx. £580 for the cheaper combo (Nikon + Sigma) and approx. £750 for the Canon +Tamron.

What would you go for and is the extra cost worth it ? Would you go for a different combo in this price range (or even a little more) ?

Any advice would be very appreciated?

Max.

I think you'll be disappointed with 300mm as your maximum focal length for bird photography -you'll need to get very close to your subject to do any good and the long end of a 28-300mm zoom will not perform as well as a prime 300mm lens, especially at maximum aperture.

I'd go for the D50 (or the Canon for that matter) plus a longer lens...

The Sigma 135-400mm can still be found for around £299 (here for example) and it's a really nice lens.

Last edited:
Just a warning about the D50 - it does not have depth of field preview, which is almost a necessity for any kind of macro (closeup) photography. I cannot believe that Nikon didn't include it on this camera. Seems to me that the whole point of a DSLR is flexibility.

It is true they it was a mistake to leave the DOF button out, but one can do without it as the image is quite small in the VF anyway for details and there's an immediate feedback after shooting on the back LCD screen. It would have been much wiser to include it though. I rarely use the DOF button on my DSLRs, as after a long experience I already know what to expect.
The D50 however is a great camera - outputting lively colors straight out of the camera, has very low noise at high iso and a very good price point.

OK I keep hearing the expression a Prime lens, could someome please explain what this is and how it differs from other lenses.
I am thinking of getting a DLSR (possibly the Canon 350d) but i am very confused as to what to buy lens-wise, i am a complete novice so please be gentle with me.

Regards Cuddy.

Keith Reeder said:
I'd go for the D50 (or the Canon for that matter) plus a longer lens...

The Sigma 135-400mm can still be found for around £299 (here for example) and it's a really nice lens.
Hi Keith,
Thanks for the tip re. the Sigma 135-400 lens.It certainly worth considering at that price.I might now go for the D50 with this lens allthough I will have to get the D50 with it,s standard lens rather than just the body only.I might get away with £750 - £800.

Max.

Hi Keith,
Another question I need to ask you that will help other virgin DSLR photographers as well as me is the usefullness or not of teleconverters.I keep reading on other threads that "you will lose AF".Does this mean you cannot take a photograph at all if you use one (say with the Sigma 135-400 lens) or that the photo will be very hit and miss?

Max.

The usefulness of a teleconverter depends on the aperture of the lens it is used with.

Generally adding a teleconverter loses, typically, two f stops, which means if your lens's largest aperture is anything below f2.8, the AF system will not have enough light or contrast to work accurately with.

By and large the less expensive and longest zooms have too small an aperture for effective use with a teleconverter. Such converters also reduce sharpness to a greater or lesser degree dependent on design and quality of the optics.

senatore said:
Hi Keith,
Another question I need to ask you that will help other virgin DSLR photographers as well as me is the usefullness or not of teleconverters.I keep reading on other threads that "you will lose AF".Does this mean you cannot take a photograph at all if you use one (say with the Sigma 135-400 lens) or that the photo will be very hit and miss?

Max.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back