• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D2X Autofocus problems? (1 Viewer)

checklg

Graham Checkley
I've read on some other forums (Nikonians, Dpreview) of people experiencing problems with the autofocus on the D2X. Anyone having problems using this camera for bird photography?

Regards,
Graham.

I didn't have any AF problem with the D2X and I've taken about 16,000 shots with this camera so far. I've heard that one of the first batches had that problem.

I have a very early model of the D2x and no problems here. I think the internet can be a bit deceptive with this sort of thing... people with problems shout far louder than those who don't have a problem.

Certainly some have found problems but I think many of these have been lumped together as an AF fault... some are genuine AF faults, but some are from mismatching with a few lenses (back/front focus issues) as well as a major step up in resolution catching a few people out who don't have ideal lens support.

Many thanks guys, it's awfully tempting and I keep on telling myself that it's a logical step ahead from my D100....

Regards,
Graham.

checklg said:
Many thanks guys, it's awfully tempting and I keep on telling myself that it's a logical step ahead from my D100....

Regards,
Graham.
There's always the fabled D200, though I'm not one of those who believes this will be much more than 8mp.
Whether a d2x or a d200, i think you will notice a great improvement in the responsiveness of the camera... shutter-lag is no longer any sort of issue, write times are rapid and a large buffer. Taking close to 1000 shots on a single battery charge is pretty useful as well ;)

cheers
Andy

I did at the beginning, but it was my learning curve with the camera. I took the advice and turned custom setting A4 (lock on) to off and my problems dissapeared (why this works is a mystery, but there is a theory that lock on slows the cameras response just enough to throw you if you aren't doing it quite right.)

Now I've turned it back on and I don't have the mis focus problems, I suspect because I've learned to use and handle the thing much better. Focus is deadly accurate, but quite demanding.

Anyway, it's the only material thing in the world that I really wouldn't want to do without. No regrets here.

Well, I've taken the plunge and the battery is charged (and so is the credit card). Of course as soon as I bought the camera it started to rain but I've no doubt it will stop eventually.

I'm now looking for some more advice, this time on other camera settings. I've started out with:

Image Sharpening: None
Tone compensation: Automatic
Colour space: Adobe
Colour mode: III

Also, in terms of workflow, my Nikon RAW converter plug-in (from Nikon View) brings ny RAW files into Photoshop CS with a colour profile of Nikon Adobe 4.0.0.300. I convert it to Adobe 1998 and then go on from there.

Any comments?

Regards,
Graham.

Last edited:
Good for you, Graham, I'm sure you'll love it... and don't expect to have tyo charge that battery for a long time ;)

Colour space is always a complicated matter and I don't fully understand all the ins and outs. I shoot in srgb but adobe rgb gives you a bit more freedom and you can always convert back to srgb for web use.
Although the D2x colour mode III is supposedly recommended for nature/wildlife... i prefer mode I. If you use Adobe RGB then you can use mode II which is more neutral. I wouldn't get too hung up about the colour modes.

The other settings are down to you and a case of experimenting a bit, I know plenty that have tone set at a minus setting but I have it on normal, not auto. Sharpening you can have off.

If shooting RAW (which I do not), then some of the above aspects aren't relevant anyway.

cheers,
Andy

checklg said:
Well, I've taken the plunge and the battery is charged (and so is the credit card). Of course as soon as I bought the camera it started to rain but I've no doubt it will stop eventually.

I'm now looking for some more advice, this time on other camera settings. I've started out with:

Image Sharpening: None
Tone compensation: Automatic
Colour space: Adobe
Colour mode: III

Also, in terms of workflow, my Nikon RAW converter plug-in (from Nikon View) brings ny RAW files into Photoshop CS with a colour profile of Nikon Adobe 4.0.0.300. I convert it to Adobe 1998 and then go on from there.

Any comments?

Regards,
Graham.

Graham,

Here is a great article to read that explains why many are having problems with autofocus and the D2x:

http://www.digitaldarrell.com/Article-UnderstandingNikonMultiCAM2000AF.asp

There are some relatively simple solutions to many of the apparent problems. I have had e-mail from all over the world telling me that their autofocus issues simply disappeared after they applied some of the things they learned from this article.

I agree that there may have been a few D2x's with AF issues, but I think it was VERY few. The D2x has a learning curve. But, once it is learned can do some amazing work. An example is in the attachment.

Digital Darrell

Attachments

• Cardinal.jpg
    Cardinal.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 470
DigitalDarrell said:
Graham,

Here is a great article to read that explains why many are having problems with autofocus and the D2x:

http://www.digitaldarrell.com/Article-UnderstandingNikonMultiCAM2000AF.asp

There are some relatively simple solutions to many of the apparent problems. I have had e-mail from all over the world telling me that their autofocus issues simply disappeared after they applied some of the things they learned from this article.

I agree that there may have been a few D2x's with AF issues, but I think it was VERY few. The D2x has a learning curve. But, once it is learned can do some amazing work. An example is in the attachment.

Digital Darrell

Thanks for the great link. I read through it and tried a couple of things that were mentioned to good effect. This is a very complictated camera. There really is a steep learning curve. It helps to keep reading and experimenting.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back