• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL 8.5 X 42 flare/stray light advice needed? (1 Viewer)

Justinj

Hi folks,

I've just treated myself to a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5 X 42mm binoculars which arrived today.
I'm thrilled with the image quality,build,handling,etc.etc but I've noticed there appears to be a little visible flare,having never owned a decent pair of binoculars before I wondered whether this was perfectly normal or something to be concerned about.
I don't wear glasses and therefore had the eyecups fully extended.
I noticed that when stood at approx 45 degrees to a light source such as the bright sun,heavily diffused sun or a streetlight there appears to be a couple of flare spots visible,they were particularly noticeable with the sun shining.
There appeared to be a bright orange and a bright green one,the flare was weaker (but still clearly visible) with the eyes pressed fully against the eyecups but when moving the binoculars slightly away from the face the flare became a very bright orange and green (side by side) point source.
I held my hand between the sun/streetlight,etc and binocular, and the flare disappeared,proving I guess, that it's caused by some stray light getting into the binocular.

Is this perfectly normal or something to be concerned about?

I see Swarovski make the winged eye-cups,which will perhaps solve this issue.
Does anyone know where I can obtain these from in the UK?

Any advice on the above would be a big help and much appreciated,

Thanks,

Justin.

Justinj said:
Hi folks,

I've just treated myself to a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5 X 42mm binoculars which arrived today.
I'm thrilled with the image quality,build,handling,etc.etc but I've noticed there appears to be a little visible flare,having never owned a decent pair of binoculars before I wondered whether this was perfectly normal or something to be concerned about.
I don't wear glasses and therefore had the eyecups fully extended.
I noticed that when stood at approx 45 degrees to a light source such as the bright sun,heavily diffused sun or a streetlight there appears to be a couple of flare spots visible,they were particularly noticeable with the sun shining.
There appeared to be a bright orange and a bright green one,the flare was weaker (but still clearly visible) with the eyes pressed fully against the eyecups but when moving the binoculars slightly away from the face the flare became a very bright orange and green (side by side) point source.
I held my hand between the sun/streetlight,etc and binocular, and the flare disappeared,proving I guess, that it's caused by some stray light getting into the binocular.

Is this perfectly normal or something to be concerned about?

I see Swarovski make the winged eye-cups,which will perhaps solve this issue.
Does anyone know where I can obtain these from in the UK?

Any advice on the above would be a big help and much appreciated,

Thanks,

Justin.
This happens with all binoculars and is caused by, as you have found, stray and specular reflections emanating from the outer surface of the eyepieces. I get them occasionally and put my hands around my eyes to stop it happening. It's not a problem for me so buying the angled eyecups wouldn't be worthwhile, but that would be an answer.

Justin,

In any binocular if a bright spot of light reaches the eyelens of the eyepiece from behind it will reflect into the eye. I see the same thing with my EL's, nothing wrong with the binoculars. The winged eyecups will probably help some although they don't make a complete light seal on my face.

As it happens I looked at a brand new pair of 8.5x42 EL's today (they had the new easy adjustment strap) and I noticed a change in the internal coatings at the eyepiece end compared to my almost 6 year old pair. Some reflections are now green which were magenta in the old ones. The green and orange reflections of the sun you see in your eyepieces are both magenta in mine. This change appears to me to have improved the color accuracy and increased the light transmission slightly.

Don't worry. You've got one of the world's best binoculars. Relax and enjoy them!

Henry

Steve / Henry

Many thanks for your help. I guess I was worrying over nothing but thought I'd ask just to put my mind at rest.

Thoroughly looking forward to many enjoyable hours with the new bino's.

scampo said:
This happens with all binoculars and is caused by, as you have found, stray and specular reflections emanating from the outer surface of the eyepieces. I get them occasionally and put my hands around my eyes to stop it happening. It's not a problem for me so buying the angled eyecups wouldn't be worthwhile, but that would be an answer.

Of course, us spectacle-wearers who can't take them off due to astigmatism in the eyes, are well familiar with this problem. It helps to wear a hat with a brim to reduce the sun's impact.

I have 8x32 EL and 10x42 EL, sometimes got a little flare but never worried about it, assumed it was normal. Tested both after reading your post, found a little as you described, moreso in the 10x. Honestly, it's never bothered me in the field, a bright light at 45 degrees from the rear.... how often does it happen? It can be more annoying with specs on, I sometimes leave mine on (optician says I have astigmatisms in both eyes, no idea what that means, thought it was a sign of religious ecstasy or summat...) Enjoy your bins, you'll get many years of great service from them. Happy birding, Eanna

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back